Cryovac machine

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Cryovac machine

Post by Grandadbushy » 26 Jun 2020, 6:05 pm

G'day all , i'm in the process of looking for a cryovac machine for myself., has anyone on here had one or has one that could give info on the reliability of it, i'm not looking for a home use one more like a commercial one or one big enough to handle 3 beasts and 3 pigs per year without burning out or continuously overheat, I've looked at heaps on google but that doesn't give a realistic insight into the best of them, I realise I would have to pay good money for a higher end one capable of doing what I want but that's parr for the course as they say so ,thanks in advance :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Cryovac machine

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2020, 6:20 pm

Wish i could help you Grandad ol' mate...but i cant really.

I bought a little domestic one--the same brand as my Waeco fridge...the reason i got that one, was i absolutely nailed the guy down on such a great price i had to take it... :lol:
And also because at the time, it was the only one that i could find that would run on 12V out the back of my car out bush...

Since then, i dont use it much, & ive only ever used it once out bush--just because i wanted to test it on 12V... :unknown: :roll:

:lol:

Watching with keen interest though,,,so hopefully you keep updates here as you progress through to a decision... :)

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jun 2020, 6:42 pm

I’m thinking of getting an electric mincer , got this idea that I will be getting a couple of red hinds this winter ...I did not know 12 volt croyovac machines existed ...my neighbour is a butcher. I reckon I’ll be hitting him up for some help boneing out and prepping cuts...no idea why I’m telling you this
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2020, 6:48 pm

The 12V jobby i have is only one of those little domestic ones...not ideally suited for game meats like Goat/Deer Etc...

You use so much of the bags, its not worth spending the money--& you can only pack to a certain width...

Butchering up a carcass is good fun BLR...ive really enjoyed my little & more recent learning experiences of doing this... :)

If i had regular access to deer numbers & knew people who would enjoy the meat, id think about getting one of those commercial cryovac machines too... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jun 2020, 7:18 pm

For me a deer has got to be hung so boning out the weight of the cut falls away naturally easy. Bending over working on the ground like a dog is primitive
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 26 Jun 2020, 7:56 pm

Yeah i'll do that Stix , I should have bought on years ago i'm sick of eating freezer burn meat just takes the edge of the taste
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 26 Jun 2020, 8:04 pm

Well Blr243 I did find that info interesting as I have all that gear and find unless you are doing a lot of mince ie 20kg upwards then it's easier to buy a larger type hand mincer, where the electric one comes into it's own is when you are making sausages, it's easy to run the mixed meat through several times to produce sausage mix which is more pasty than mince, a hand mincer would make your arm drop off doing that.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2020, 8:04 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:Yeah i'll do that Stix , I should have bought on years ago i'm sick of eating freezer burn meat just takes the edge of the taste

Garndad...i rekon bent arrow uses freezer paper of some kind--ive seen it somewhere in his pics--or maybe pretty sure he directed me to the Rinella's vids once on field dressing, & ive seen Rinella use it.

I know this helps to prevent freezer burn as i have in the past wrapped fish in news paper & it helps with this.

Anyway, just suggesting maybe ask him about the paper as well (i could be wrong with memory--maybe i just link him with the paper cos of rinella suggestion...? :unknown: )
, or someone here might be able to chime in on this freezer burn stuff & paper as an insulator...

Or just do what piggy marksman does & chomp out the whole bloody beast before it gets burned..!!.. :lol:
;)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Grandadbushy » 26 Jun 2020, 8:13 pm

Yep thanks Stix , there is bags that are thicker than the standard freezer bag and they do prolong the life of meat in a freezer but a cryovac will prolong the meat 3 times longer than the normal bagging of meat, it exits all air from the bag retarding the decay process of the meat hence longer life
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2020, 9:31 pm

Yep i know grandad...ive got one... :)

Incase you misunderstood me...I wasnt suggesting to only use the paper instead of the vaccuum packer, but that it might help in prolonging the life of the meat further from using it in conjunction with the vaccuum machine... :)

I tried it with fish (cryovac & paper) & it seemed to give me longer.than just cryovac alone.. :) ...never tried the experiment with red meat though... :unknown:
I only feed myself so i either eat the damaged bits if not too bad, or cut it off..

:)
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Grandadbushy » 26 Jun 2020, 11:00 pm

Nah Stix I knew what you meant , the bag and paper is something I've never tried although I used to wrap my crab bait in paper and it would keep for 12mths or more in the freezer and be quiet good to use as the burn wasn't there like in bags but on saying that I think a cryovac would be the best for what i'm doing as I share the meat around with my grown up family and their kids and the meat will have to do a bit of travelling in eskies till they get it home and into their freezers , a couple of my son inlaws wouldn't know how to treat meat (Bloody sheila's) so I've got to make it as simple as possible for them without hurting their feelings , you know what it's like with young blokes today
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation