Ag bikes

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Ag bikes

Post by Shootermick » 29 Jun 2020, 3:18 pm

I’m in the market for a new two wheeler Ag bike. So far I’ve looked at the Honda XR Ag which is about 190cc and $47-4800 and the Kawasaki Stockman which is 250cc and about $62-6300. Anyone had one of these? Or what else is worth looking at? Not really interested in the Yamaha.
Shootermick
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Ag bikes

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jun 2020, 6:27 pm

In 1996 I bought a Honda fourstroke xl185 I used it to chase pigs thru melon hole country in south east Qld and pigs and dingos up cape York. it’s still going strong , as is my Honda genset and my Honda quad bike. I buy Honda because I don’t want to break down in the middle of nowhere
Blr243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Col » 29 Jun 2020, 7:31 pm

Shootermick,

Ditto to what BLR says. I have 2 Honda CTX 200 ag bikes which are great, reliable and have a nice wide seat for us older gents. I also run Honda 4 wheelers which have been super reliable and strong. Everything else is Toyota or Polaris UTVs.
The Kawasaki Stockman is also a good bike, I borrowed one in 2010 at Cunnamulla which was a good reliable unit. We were mustering stock that we had on agistment up there, in some pretty rough country.
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 29 Jun 2020, 7:32 pm

Suzuki make a good Ag bike dont know the model number but have ridden one a bit.
Larry
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by GQshayne » 29 Jun 2020, 7:38 pm

If you are using it in rough country, then a bike with good suspension may be a step up from an "Ag" bike. My farmer mate in western Qld did not buy ag bikes for this reason, preferring bikes such as the DT200 and XR400.
GQshayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Jun 2020, 8:04 pm

Surprised the kawaka is more expensive than Honda in ag bike world...
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Major
Major

Tasmania

Post by Shootermick » 29 Jun 2020, 8:04 pm

Col wrote:Shootermick,

Ditto to what BLR says. I have 2 Honda CTX 200 ag bikes which are great, reliable and have a nice wide seat for us older gents. I also run Honda 4 wheelers which have been super reliable and strong. Everything else is Toyota or Polaris UTVs.
The Kawasaki Stockman is also a good bike, I borrowed one in 2010 at Cunnamulla which was a good reliable unit. We were mustering stock that we had on agistment up there, in some pretty rough country.

I’d like a CTX 200 but they were discontinued in favour of the XR Ag. I like Honda’s too, they’re my motor of choice around the farm for augers, pumps generators etc. The old man had a CT 125 when I was a kid, it was the first bike I ever rode. It had the hardest life imaginable and was almost bullet proof, but I think we managed to kill it in the end.
Shootermick
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 29 Jun 2020, 8:09 pm

I also would like a CRF 250L, it would be good for a cruise on the road as well as in the paddocks, but I’m not sure it’s worth the extra coin at $7200 when the Ag is over 2k cheaper, and paddock work would be main job for the bike.
Shootermick
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 29 Jun 2020, 8:11 pm

GQshayne wrote:If you are using it in rough country, then a bike with good suspension may be a step up from an "Ag" bike. My farmer mate in western Qld did not buy ag bikes for this reason, preferring bikes such as the DT200 and XR400.

That’s a good point, but it is pretty flat around my joint.
Shootermick
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Jun 2020, 10:34 pm

The question for me would also be one of cooling - air cooling vs water cooling...
Air cooling can be a pain in summer when leaving to idle for a while, lower performance, more servicing, etc but - get unlucky and drop a water cooled bike puncturing radiator...hard one.
If you want a marginal step up to bike vs farm machine, The DR’s have a reliability reputation - and a lot of aftermarket parts for all manner of comforts.
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Major
Major

Tasmania

Post by Shootermick » 30 Jun 2020, 6:45 am

TassieTiger wrote:The question for me would also be one of cooling - air cooling vs water cooling...
Air cooling can be a pain in summer when leaving to idle for a while, lower performance, more servicing, etc but - get unlucky and drop a water cooled bike puncturing radiator...hard one.
If you want a marginal step up to bike vs farm machine, The DR’s have a reliability reputation - and a lot of aftermarket parts for all manner of comforts.

I’d probably go for air cooled.
Suzuki make one for the Ag market which is a DR 200, model name is the Trojan.
Shootermick
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by hunting99 » 30 Jun 2020, 5:54 pm

One word Honda.
Use them everyday on the farm and hunting.
The CRF230 is a very good lite reliable air cooled bike.
hunting99
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Jakethefake » 12 Jul 2020, 4:12 pm

I bought a CRF230 earlier in the year. I looked at the XR Ag - it seemed like a good deal, but they had a poor reputation from what I read about them. I'm not 100% sure but I think they're made in China now. They were also ridiculously heavy for what they are, which put me right off them.
I have an old Honda CT200AG that has the Honda reliability, but its a horrible thing to ride. Terrible handling, too heavy, and slow.
Jakethefake
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation