Another thread vanishes

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Another thread vanishes

Post by Blackened » 06 Jul 2020, 12:22 pm

marksman wrote:if someone is offended, man up and pm the person and sort it out, or not, try and see their perspective, if possible, if not move on and get over it :drinks:

The PM system is a good option for taking things out of the public domain, yes.

A report functionality also exists within the PM system for if someone elects to misuse PMs.

marksman wrote:try and see their perspective, if possible, if not move on and get over it :drinks:

And yes :thumbsup:

P.S. Aster will have to field your emoji request.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 06 Jul 2020, 12:26 pm

TassieTiger wrote:...that banter between several (long term) members - I could not imagine anyone getting upset over what was within - but, that’s my subjective opinion.
BUT I do understand how a new reader might see / read that banter and think, geez, these guys are going at it by not knowing the back story...
eg I give Bill an absolute bollocking crap time over his trigger on his M18 - he knows it’s obviously a long standing joke and it’s a ridiculous thing to carry on about but it’s a thing that goes back years now between him and I - but someone just reading a post from me about that, will inevitably come to a different conclusion as they don’t know the history.

True, and an important point.

To a potential new member, a heated discussion between "frenemies" can just as easily look like a bunch of assholes arguing.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 06 Jul 2020, 12:31 pm

yes, well, i thought forums were for open conversation, so long as people are respectful .trolling and abuse and pointless arguments should not be tolerated i think , though i thought humor was acceptable :)

i've just noticed my brief post on this topic , which was intended as a joke, has been deleted :wtf:

it's very aussie to engage in a bit of dry humor, or a good natured piss take . i feel that freedom is under threat on this forum :cry:

JMHO
Last edited by Blackened on 07 Jul 2020, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Foreign politics removed again.
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jul 2020, 3:13 pm

Post deleted

Did you guys even read this thread?

Ask yourselves before you hit the submit button whether you are saying something that is of any value to the conversation, please.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 06 Jul 2020, 5:11 pm

I am more in the camp people can say anything they want. If the site culture is strong enougn it will correct itself. One of the oldest and largest gun sites accurate reloading operates with no post moderation. Trolling, cursing, attacks, all welcome. It still works and is probably the least heated place to post actually because their is a cultural expectation to behave, also the owner is from the UAE, so he doesnt have to worry about the legalities of providing safe spaces, eliminating naughty hate speech, lawsuits from upset 1st worlders who cant get their meds adjusted in time for harsh words. You can go in guns blazing, or out on a limb, but if you have no success doing it, you will find your position diminished.

that said, I can understand the mods position here, they are smart enough to know what is happening in Australia regards freedoms and also know their position legally is about 5000x more exposed than anyone posting. It is sort of funny when you realise its safer to have a site based in an oppressive regime than in Australia or the US, free countries. :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jul 2020, 7:02 pm

I understand there has to be moderation and I understand mods need to walk a line and it’s not easy - I’m not convinced entire threads need to be deleted, but that’s not my call.
Posts like Big Rich’s that was just plain funny? - gone ? Things like that I don’t understand - apparently, many others do understand.
I’m just trying to find the line - but even based on what others have said within this thread - everyone’s line is in a different place, especially when it pertains to their own position, so I guess - it is what it is, until it isn’t.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 06 Jul 2020, 7:43 pm

you know where the line is Tassie, thats not what the problem is
its funny how everyone thinks that honesty is a virtue but to some the truth sounds like hate, what it really is, is they hate the truth :wtf:

l personally thought BR's post was funny myself, l thought he was deflecting in a very humorous way :thumbsup:
but some cannot handle it :huh: , just silly that he affects some like that, who really cares

weve got ANGRY :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jul 2020, 7:51 pm

MM - I thought I knew where the line was, but that deleted post from BR, as well as other posts that mention aligned and coincidental or sarcastic humour, full threads - prove that I don’t...but I am definitely on board with the truth upsetting some ppl, resulting in outrage...heaven forbid you correct the wrong person with the truth. Lol.

I think at the end of the day - ppl must remember - this is a forum...nothing more, nothing less...Ppl getting threatened behind the scenes via PM because of a differing opinion etc is insane.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jul 2020, 8:06 pm

Often good hard rock Aussie bands produce their best stuff early , mid of their careers ....but blood brothers by rose tatto came later and is a great display of musicianship
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Jul 2020, 9:27 pm

Blr243 wrote:Often good hard rock Aussie bands produce their best stuff early , mid of their careers ....but blood brothers by rose tatto came later and is a great display of musicianship

the rosie tatts hey :D "scarred for life" had some good songs , but "southern stars" was their best album . i still have all my vynal from teenage years, and i still play it LOUD after a few beers :lol:

i have a much better qaulity turntable,amp and speakers these days, and it sounds good ;)
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Jul 2020, 9:51 pm

marksman wrote:
l personally thought BR's post was funny myself, l thought he was deflecting in a very humorous way :thumbsup:
but some cannot handle Mr Trump :huh: , just silly that he affects some like that, who really cares

i thought it was funny MM, all the craziness with a couple of folks on here to do with anything "trumpy" :P
i try to not take things that don't matter too much too seriously in life, that includes forums and personal opinions on forums :D
people in this day and age are too thin skinned and sensative generally , some young fellas these days with road rage and tailgating over some small thing is just pathetic

and then my comedy crack gets deleted :o

"I GETS NO RESPECT , I TELLS YA , NO RESPECT............." :lol:

i haven't seen stix on here for a while, i always enjoyed his humor . i hope he hasn't been banished :cry:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by snag » 06 Jul 2020, 9:53 pm

bigrich, you are my kinda guy .....

In my house it is Angels, Radiators and Skyhooks as well.
Last edited by snag on 06 Jul 2020, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Jul 2020, 9:59 pm

on ya snag , back atcha :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Jul 2020, 10:24 pm

In 92 at eastern creek racetrack in Sydney rose tattoo were just about to walk on stage when supporting guns/roses.....I knew little about them and remember thinking that a bunch of has beens were about to play for us ... but then out walked angry...he bought the mike up , threw his head back and opened his mouth ... the very first word shattered my previous opinion ....I knew then , for as long as I lived, I would never ever think of them as has beens, and 15 years after that concert they released one of their best albums....it sounds like Gibson’s and Marshall’s
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bill » 06 Jul 2020, 10:32 pm

Hey Blr I was of the same opinion about Rose Tattoo also, cause I was a M Oil and Guns n Rose fan, Angry certainly educated a bunch of young aussie's that day :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 07 Jul 2020, 4:46 am

I saw the Tatts play at the old surfers paradise raceway on the Gold Coast before it was bulldozed. The Tatts and the Angels were support acts for ZZ top . I think that was something like ‘88 or ‘89.
We are divergerging from the post topic however. I think the mods do a good job on this forum, and it must be difficult to decide when a line has been crossed at times. Censorship is generally not the answer in my humble opinion , as it can be more polarising than the original “grey” comments
Personal abuse should not be tolerated but

JMHO
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Jul 2020, 5:01 am

Went to MCG a couple years back to recapture those ‘89 and 92 years when the gunners had youth and mayhem on their side...It was not Axles finest audio platform but when Angus came out to play a couple songs...the G was...Well not too sure...things went giddy, I went dizzy and then black. I know I had a good time - by the fact I couldn’t talk the next day. Lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blackened » 07 Jul 2020, 8:23 am

bigrich wrote:yes, well, i thought forums were for open conversation, so long as people are respectful .trolling and abuse and pointless arguments should not be tolerated i think , though i thought humor was acceptable :)

i've just noticed my brief post on this topic , which was intended as a joke, has been deleted :wtf:

it's very aussie to engage in a bit of dry humor, or a good natured piss take . i feel that freedom is under threat on this forum :cry:

JMHO

Mate, your joke was of a topic which I'm sure you know full well has caused a great deal of drama in the past. This has been covered extensively.

Humor is of course welcome, but perhaps this topic was not the place for that joke.

As for "freedom is under threat". I can only say I feel you're being overly dramatic with this statement.

There are no gestapo lurking in dark corners here waiting to throw a bag over your head. There is no team of state or corporate censors checking your every word against an agenda white list.

You want to talk about shooting, hunting, camping, four wheeling etc. or have a casual conversation here? Please, go ahead.

You want to talk about foreign politics, call up some mates and do so. Find a political discussion venue. Go sing it from the roof tops. No one is stopping you, you're completely free to do so.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 07 Jul 2020, 8:26 am

bladeracer wrote:Did you guys even read this thread?

Ask yourselves before you hit the submit button whether you are saying something that is of any value to the conversation, please.

A good philosophy. :thumbsup:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 07 Jul 2020, 8:28 am

TassieTiger wrote:I understand there has to be moderation and I understand mods need to walk a line and it’s not easy - I’m not convinced entire threads need to be deleted, but that’s not my call.

I can only refer you back to this:

Blackened wrote:I realise that a lot of what happens with moderation isn't actual seen by members, and this can lead to the appearance of arbitrary decisions or favouritism.

As I've said before though, just because at the time you read it you see a reasonably orderly topic, doesn't mean we haven't already deleted 50 problematic replies from it.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 07 Jul 2020, 8:34 am

bigrich wrote:i haven't seen stix on here for a while, i always enjoyed his humor . i hope he hasn't been banished :cry:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

To paraphrase a now deleted post by stix which was directed at another member.

"You're a dick! Just f*** off!"

I think we can all agree which 'side of the line' this falls on.

We never like to ban anyone. And a few members which are now gone did make good contributions, but having done good doesn't make repeatedly abusing people or causing trouble admissible, and doesn't exempt anyone from the rules.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Jul 2020, 8:35 am

Blackened wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Did you guys even read this thread?

A good philosophy. :thumbsup:

As mentioned elsewhere - by replying to denno (in hindsight, probably not useful I agree) -but m I was attempting to highlight the underlying point that perception is everything...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Aster » 07 Jul 2020, 8:58 am

TassieTiger wrote:One other thing is - obviously it’s up to mods whom get warnings etc - I’ve seen this on several other forums - is it possible to show whom has been deleted or given a holiday ? Even if it said “paused” under their name, a diff colour, etc...it would ensure some threads make more sense when return questions go unanswered.

Hi Tassie,

My original thinking is/was that there is no point displaying that a user is banned as the point is just to remove repeat offenders, it's not about making a big show out of it or parading someone out the door.

Your point about questions going unanswered from banned users makes sense though.

I'll have look into how to implement it as it's not an existing feature to just turn on, but I think this is something we could do.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by bigrich » 07 Jul 2020, 9:09 am

Blackened wrote:Your joke was of a topic which I'm sure you know full well has caused a great deal of drama in the past. This has been covered extensively.

Humor is of course welcome, but perhaps this topic was not the place for that joke.

As for "freedom is under threat". I can only say I feel you're being overly dramatic with this statement.

There are no gestapo lurking in dark corners here waiting to throw a bag over your head. There is no team of state or corporate censors checking your every word against an agenda white list.

You want to talk about shooting, hunting, camping, four wheeling etc. or have a casual conversation here? Please, go ahead.

You want to talk about foreign politics, call up some mates and do so. Find a political discussion venue. Go sing it from the roof tops. No one is stopping you, you're completely free to do so.

i wasn't refering to freedom in general , i was refering to THAT freedom, the freedom of humor , to crack a joke . i do have a "dark" sense of humor, and i thought the reference to the out of control opinions about the american president was intended to lighten the atmosphere , and to give some fellas a laugh .
marksman got it , as did others . i thought the laughing emojies made my intentions for humor clear . i wasn't trying to divert the topic to another trump free-for-all . i refer to the above, where it says "casual conversation" which is what i thought i was doing. i'm not trying to upset anyone :unknown:
or get offside with any mods

as tassie tiger has said it's all about perception sometimes
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Clem » 07 Jul 2020, 10:26 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :allegedly:
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jul 2020, 12:47 pm

Is that a dog caught in a set of Venetian blinds ? I went to do a quote for some repair work at a rental property once but when I got their the tenants Great Dane had chewed several thousand dollars worth of polished cedar door frames ...it was so bad I walked away and said sorry can’t help you. They probably changed their names ,moved interstate ,and bought a silky terrier instead
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blackened » 07 Jul 2020, 3:46 pm

bigrich wrote:i'm not trying to upset anyone :unknown: or get offside with any mods

There are no hard feelings from my side, mate :drinks:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 07 Jul 2020, 4:08 pm

is there any way Stix can get back on the forum :unknown:

l have seen him showing restraint lately, has tone was different, l thought he was showing patience with some and the people he argued with did give as much as they took and if you have a good look at some of the recent threads he was being baited quite a bit
it was like he was trying not to offend but give his point of view and having his buttons pushed

l suppose its another one of those "how you perceive it" things :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Larry » 07 Jul 2020, 4:29 pm

He will be back on in a day or two under a new handle. The bans really dont accomplish much. Other forums seem to have a stricter security that can be a little tighter on gathering sa mac addresses and banning those rather than just email addresses.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jul 2020, 6:29 pm

I thought I should change my name to sauer 243 because that has been my go to mainstay that I can always rely on ..... But now my main rifle might be my new 308 But at the end of the day it’s just a name
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation