Solution for plastic in our environment

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Solution for plastic in our environment

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jul 2020, 8:57 am

As long as it’s been a problem my theory is too always put plastic in the bin rather than litter. I despise littering of any kind. I feel like kicking people when I see them littering ..there are theories allover the world about reducing plastic packaging and changing our behaviour to minimise plastic in the environment.....does everybody not littering in the first place solve the problem? If not why?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Solution for plastic in our environment

Post by Bark » 04 Jul 2020, 9:01 am

Blr243 wrote:As long as it’s been a problem my theory is too always put plastic in the bin rather than litter.

You'd assume they would have to have some process for filtering recyclables out of rubbish.

Some getting in there is just going to happy. Either through mixed materials, or lack of alternate bin near by, whatever.

Who knows how much of it they can or do recover though.
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jul 2020, 11:17 am

If it all goes into landfill the plastic should be buried and never get an opportunity to enter the bush and the ocean But maybe there’s too much too bury and not enough room to bury it. Maybe when we export it to other countries they are not disposing of it responsibly. I don’t know
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2020, 11:44 am

Almost every time I go hunting/camping I bring back rubbish i have picked up. And no need to go looking for it. Disgraceful. Mankind is fuking the planet.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 04 Jul 2020, 6:20 pm

Blr243 wrote:As long as it’s been a problem my theory is too always put plastic in the bin rather than litter. I despise littering of any kind. I feel like kicking people when I see them littering ..there are theories allover the world about reducing plastic packaging and changing our behaviour to minimise plastic in the environment.....does everybody not littering in the first place solve the problem? If not why?

as hunters we need to remember that shotgun cases are plastic ;) and plastic is not the only waste we leave behind

but back to "if not why" we sell our recyclable materials that is collected by the councils that does not go to landfill to places like malasia, in illegaly setup chinese factory's who are supposed to sort and remelt the recycled plastic waste to make other products
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqrlEsPoyJk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRQLilXLAIU&t=2382s

we think we are helping the environment by doing the right thing and recycling our rubbish but its a con
australia needs to be recycling its own rubbish instead of importing our waste, its our problem :thumbsdown:

and it is not mankind who is at fault is is unprincipled unscrupulous businesses :shock: money changes everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp4suZ4jNXg
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jul 2020, 8:13 pm

The world as we know it has gone absolutely f@cking mad when it comes to plastic.
Packaging is the biggest culprit.
Everything you buy these days is over abundantly clad in plastic.

ie: A toy truck.
> The truck is plastic.
>Any separate parts or accessories are either bubble wrapped or further encased in plastic trays.
>The above mentioned parts/accessories are held in place with plastic zip ties.
>Assembly or Instruction details are in a separate plastic compartment.
>Then that lot is encased in plastic.
>And even again sometimes the plastic package is yet again encased (one container inside another container of almost indestructible plastic.

Nearly everything you buy now is packaged in a similar manner,,,,, a new mobile phone for instance.

And,,,,,,,,, why oh why are products that really don't need packaging now packed/wrapped/sealed or clad in plastic ??? :unknown: :crazy:

Even bars of soap, that used to be available loose are now indidually wrapped in plastic film and then packaged as a lot in blow molded plastic containers.

You used to be able to buy screws, nails,hinges, etc loose by weight in paper bags.
Now,,,,,,,, they are all encased in blow molded plastic tubs,,,,,,,,,, that are "tamper proof" sealed.
WHY FOR GODS SAKE ?????

Is someone going to sprinkle a poison powder in amongst the nails ???????

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jul 2020, 8:58 pm

My favourite is the small plastic container that many screws and pop rivets are sold in , with the plastic hinge at the bottom. So that it takes two hands to hold it open to access the contents, and the lid keeps wanting to fold back on itself and then you spill the entire contents into the grass and have to go back to Bunnings buy another packet just the same
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2020, 9:01 pm

"it is not mankind who is at fault is is unprincipled unscrupulous businesses :shock: money changes everything"

Which are controlled by greedy people.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 04 Jul 2020, 11:13 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"it is not mankind who is at fault is is unprincipled unscrupulous businesses :shock: money changes everything"

exactly,
but does that include you and me :unknown:
we are a part of mankind and there are plenty of good people out there that would not destroy the environment for money :allegedly:
as DJ said everything comes in plastic but we think we are doing a good job by not having plastic bags :wtf:

the solution is to start recycling and using our waste plastic, put government money into australian jobs even if it only covers cost, it recycle's the waste
l have already seen tyres recycled into door mats that are awesome
it can be done
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 05 Jul 2020, 12:59 am

I think plastic has a lot of place for some stuff out there but it's overused.

The other thing to be aware of is a lot of compounds used in plastics are estrogenic and which open estrogen receptors in your body and it will lower your testosterone levels and make you fat and sick.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by straightshooter » 05 Jul 2020, 7:34 am

Ahhh, how satisfying it must be for the green propagandists and assorted leftards that their many years of propagating ideological virtue signalling concepts and phraseology are finally filtering down to us neo-neanderthals, judging by many of the preceding posts.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 05 Jul 2020, 1:20 pm

Just a small point .ALL plastics can be recycled if it can be reclaimed , the problems are people are lazy cant be bothered or it cost to much and then we have laws that forbid certain plastic from being reused in food packaging (because its contaminated with some form of humans waste ) China until a few years ago did not worry about reclaimed plastic but changed it laws that is when they stopped importing any form of regrind or reclaimed .
Take the milk bottles in your fridge the 2L one it has about 20%regrind in it at least depends on where its made if its made from virgin plastic it does not work something to do with the amount of shrinkage so it holds less in volume but that regrind Must come from inside the factory same with the Cafe bar types cups blowen film will have about up to 30% regrind but none can be brought back to site of origin .
In Sydney most plastics factory's regrind

Once food grade packaging leaves a point of origin it can never be used in food containers again it must be used for another product some countries are now changing those types of laws but not many If your interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_fUpP-hq3A

But the bottom line is plastic is not the problem its the same as the Gun debate in the USA Its not the product its the end user. PEOPLE
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Jul 2020, 2:33 pm

Too many ppl...too much competition, too much “greed” as a result - we are all guilty to a degree...Recycling is a possible but it would have to be forced as it’s been tried via private enterprise and it’s not working.

I fail to understand why some packaging is not mandated - anything that can be packaged in cardboard or paper or a bio degrade ables should be...why does my McDonald’s specialty thick shake come in a plastic container but a coke comes in a cardboard container...etc.

In another life, I dreamed of becoming a marine biologist. I look at the plastic ocean that has accumulated in areas of the pacific and am glad I did not finalise that dream - as I would be heart broken at a higher level, than it heartbreaks me nominally.
Attachments
74DD1AB8-28F9-4892-AF6E-76F3B3B5338E.jpeg
74DD1AB8-28F9-4892-AF6E-76F3B3B5338E.jpeg (169.65 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2020, 2:49 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"it is not mankind who is at fault is is unprincipled unscrupulous businesses :shock: money changes everything"

When I said "mankind" it was just a general statement. Some do some dont, or do their best not to screw the planet. But it is a humanity caused problem.

There is a substance that can be added to plastic so that it decomposes if exposed to UV (Sun light). But seems to not get a lot of use. Some shotgun shells have it, along with steel case/head. IMO it should be mandated that all single use containers have it.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Jul 2020, 4:24 pm

"When I said "mankind" it was just a general statement. Some do some dont, or do their best not to screw the planet. But it is a humanity caused problem"

no its not
its greedy blinded people making money problem, we do the right thing by recycling, the recyclers should do the right thing in there own country,
l do not mean that as a dig against anyone, just there are better ways to recycle than make our problem someone else's

what it is is an "appalling crime against humanity"
just so you may understand where l am coming from, the definition of humanity: "humanity is the entire human race or the characteristics that belong uniquely to human beings, such as kindness, mercy and sympathy. An example of humanity is all the people in the world. An example of humanity is treating someone with kindness"

its an umbrella statement to say "mankind" that a hell of a lot of the greeny doco's use for a certain outcome that really is not true, but it gets them all fuzzy and feel good about themselves about the outrage and scandal,
of course not about them or their mates :wtf: course not, could not be about them :roll:

putting additives into plastic that cannot be reused is a good idea but if you leave your shells and rubbish on the properties l hunt
you will never ever be welcome back and you make it hard for the next guy
dont be a lazy kunt and take your rubbish home with you

and dont have double standards like this one :lol: sorry couldn't help it, dont get offended, look at my perspective, agree or dont and move on :drinks:

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Jul 2020, 4:35 pm

the vid you posted up pomemax is exactly what l am talking about :thumbsup:

thanks for posting it up :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2020, 4:37 pm

I guess it's the snails and ants then. Yep blame them for the pollution.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Jul 2020, 6:14 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I guess it's the snails and ants then. Yep blame them for the pollution.

you need to be careful of what you post up Oldbloke :thumbsup:

"Posts need to be positive not just the lots of ranting calling names and basically being negative providing no purpose."

maybe its time you practice what you preach ;)
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Jul 2020, 7:34 pm

Exactly MM - OB, you can’t have your cake and eat it too...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 05 Jul 2020, 8:21 pm

the suv additive in to plastic has been added since the 80 s I dont think enough of it tho.
one of the main problems with plastic is people do not know what is plastic is
most face cleaners that women scrub the skin with have plastic in them so small you have to look real hard
Where you are sitting now look around and see how many types of plastic you can see i will bet its over 20 types and you wont see it all
we live in the Plastic Age
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 06 Jul 2020, 8:10 am

as a kid growing up in the 70's i remember milk shake/coffee cups and straws being made out of wax paper , as well as paper shopping bags .no plastics . i didn't grow up with dishwashers, clothes driers , microwaves and air conditioning . all this first world luxury stuff that the modern snowflake can't live without, whilst protesting that the government do something about climate change :crazy: . our family car was a 1971 valiant ranger , mostly steel in construction. and with a modern lpg gas conversion, would leave less enviromental impact than buying a modern plastic newly manfactured "green" car . just some of my observations

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Jul 2020, 8:12 am

pomemax wrote:the suv additive in to plastic has been added since the 80 s I dont think enough of it tho.
one of the main problems with plastic is people do not know what is plastic is
most face cleaners that women scrub the skin with have plastic in them so small you have to look real hard
Where you are sitting now look around and see how many types of plastic you can see i will bet its over 20 types and you wont see it all
we live in the Plastic Age

yes, you've reminded me about the incredibly small plastics in facial scrubs . this stuff would be almost impossible to remove from the enviroment :thumbsdown:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation