Victoria is about to be in lockdown....STOCK UP

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Victoria is about to be in lockdown....STOCK UP

Post by bignose88 » 07 Jul 2020, 2:41 pm

Chairman Andrews is about to lockdown Victoria. Go to your local store and stock up ASAP.
bignose88
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: Victoria is about to be in lockdown....STOCK UP

Post by MontyShooter » 07 Jul 2020, 2:48 pm

And get the shops closed down again...
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jul 2020, 6:21 pm

Let the fun begin
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 07 Jul 2020, 6:40 pm

Get that toilet paper while you can, at least 6 months worth or whatever is in the shop (whichever is the greater amount).
And baked beans and pasta, at least everyone knows what to panic buy now thanks to the supermarket rationing last time (/s)
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jul 2020, 7:15 pm

Every time I walk into Bunnings there is 500 bottles of hand sanitiser for sale out the front ....we notice it but we continue walking straight by I love watching people approach to toilet paper section in the supermarket. They are pushing the trolley along and then they slow down and look at the toilet paper and they know they don’t need it because they have enough at home but they still slow down and have a real good look at it. I think it excites them. It’s almost as if seeing so much toilet paper at once gives them a buzz ...wow two full pallets of toilet paper. It’s like heaven
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 08 Jul 2020, 12:07 am

I was reading a lot the past day about the drama involving all the Supercar teams fleeing the state to Sydney for the next round at Sydney Motorsport Park. No one knows how long they will be gone and Supercars is trying to figure out how to have a season and where they are going to run at. There is talk of maybe two rounds in Darwin at Hidden Valley, maybe two in Sydney, maybe another one or two in QLD.

I think Australia thought they had it licked, but I think the government will have to learn it's a virus and there is no stopping it now. Lockdowns can't go on forever. I know Australia is trying to buy time till a vaccine but the virus has already mutated significantly here in the USA and already the wizards of smart in the medical community are going well it may only be 70-75% effective, maybe only 50%.

Hope you got enough toilet paper.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Jul 2020, 1:52 am

For some reason - Tassie is also starting to panic. Supermarket shelves are once again being raided thin
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by flashman » 08 Jul 2020, 8:28 am

Well the panic might on ,but its the death nel for my LGS , he said yesterday this lock down will put him under …... :shock:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 08 Jul 2020, 12:32 pm

TassieTiger wrote:For some reason - Tassie is also starting to panic. Supermarket shelves are once again being raided thin

I looked up Tasmania, it appears a few active cases but nothing to lose the mind over.

In the USA with recent data, we are looking at what will probably be an overall fatality rate of 0.2% or lower with 99% of deaths being seniors and those with co morbidities. This isn't the Spanish Flu or anywhere close to it. Australia putting off herd immunity is just going to drag out the agony.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Blutius Maximus » 08 Jul 2020, 3:10 pm

wanneroo wrote:This isn't the Spanish Flu or anywhere close to it.

What makes you say that?
We're only 6 months into this and there are still a lot of unknowns about the virus or what it will look like in future.

wanneroo wrote:Australia putting off herd immunity is just going to drag out the agony.

You're making some huge assumptions that herd immunity for Covid-19 is achievable without a vaccine.
It's still unknown whether once a person has had the virus, that they are immune to reinfection, or if they are immune, for how long.
I'm comfortable with Australia not sacrificing lives "hoping" it will peter out.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Post by Blutius Maximus » 08 Jul 2020, 3:12 pm

flashman wrote:Well the panic might on ,but its the death nel for my LGS , he said yesterday this lock down will put him under …... :shock:

He doesn't need to close this time.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Post by firstguns » 08 Jul 2020, 3:55 pm

Jäger wrote:You're making some huge assumptions that herd immunity for Covid-19 is achievable without a vaccine.
It's still unknown whether once a person has had the virus, that they are immune to reinfection, or if they are immune, for how long.
I'm comfortable with Australia not sacrificing lives "hoping" it will peter out.

Especially given the only nation actively trying to herd immunity approach is currently struggling under the weight of it, and they've only had about 7%of the population infected. 88% of their deaths have been over 70, but also particularly at risk are migrant communities who live in multi-generational houses. But even ignoring them, it's nice to know people are alright saying goodbye to nana provided they don't have to change their lives at all. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-30/anders-tegnell-architect-of-the-swedish-model-coronavirus/12384966
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sarco » 08 Jul 2020, 10:37 pm

Jäger wrote:
flashman wrote:Well the panic might on ,but its the death nel for my LGS , he said yesterday this lock down will put him under …... :shock:

He doesn't need to close this time.

True, he doesn't need to close, but that all depends on his clientele. If they cannot travel to hunt, use ranges etc. they don't need to buy product so he cannot cover his overheads. He can open and go broke with larger debt, or close down and have only current debt.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimmyS » 08 Jul 2020, 11:12 pm

I like Mr. Swedes idea - how it should be done in my opinion.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 09 Jul 2020, 12:49 am

Jäger wrote:
wanneroo wrote:This isn't the Spanish Flu or anywhere close to it.

What makes you say that?
We're only 6 months into this and there are still a lot of unknowns about the virus or what it will look like in future.

wanneroo wrote:Australia putting off herd immunity is just going to drag out the agony.

You're making some huge assumptions that herd immunity for Covid-19 is achievable without a vaccine.

Well lets have a look at some data:

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/crunc ... oronavirus

It appears it has mutated and weakened in Europe and the USA plus the death rate isn't anywhere near close to the Spanish Flu. Also the CDC in the USA estimated about 10 people have it or had it for every person tested positive. So probably almost 30 million, if not more in the USA already have had it or have it. I saw about 120 new cases in Vic so probably around a 1000 just got it recently.

I just a news article that in Victoria the lockdown will cost the economy $700 million a week with the lockdown. Younger people are not likely to be hospitalized over it unless they already have a serious health condition and it's elderly with existing issues that have the problem. To me the sensible thing is to let older folks quarantine if they want and let everyone else go back to work and school.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Jul 2020, 5:27 am

Isn’t stocking up / panic buying adding to the community As was encountered on primary wave?

I read the who is about to confirm the virus is spread via airborne means now - if true, then 1.5m distancing may be out the window and surely, the debate has to move in another direction ie wannaroo a suggestion.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by snag » 09 Jul 2020, 5:09 pm

Does he do mail order?
If enough forum members bought something from him, he might be able to tread water for a while?
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 13 Jul 2020, 8:38 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Isn’t stocking up / panic buying adding to the community As was encountered on primary wave?

I read the who is about to confirm the virus is spread via airborne means now - if true, then 1.5m distancing may be out the window and surely, the debate has to move in another direction ie wannaroo a suggestion.

No everybody was buying guns and ammo in anticipation of duck, quail and deer season. Like it normally is. They order slabs of shotgun ammo by the pallet and people buy by the slab. All people need to have a valid reason for purchasing. This was just a retarded state labor government decision. Just like banning golfing, fishing and surfing.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 13 Jul 2020, 8:43 pm

firstguns wrote:
Jäger wrote:You're making some huge assumptions that herd immunity for Covid-19 is achievable without a vaccine.

Especially given the only nation actively trying to herd immunity approach is currently struggling under the weight of it, and they've only had about 7%of the population infected. 88% of their deaths have been over 70, but also particularly at risk are migrant communities who live in multi-generational houses. But even ignoring them, it's nice to know people are alright saying goodbye to nana provided they don't have to change their lives at all. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-30/anders-tegnell-architect-of-the-swedish-model-coronavirus/12384966

Yes the UK which had a even tighter lockdown had a higher death rate than Sweden. Australia had bigger population and a tight lockdown like Finland and currently has a lower death rate. So maybe there's some devil in the detail.

Are you okay with old people dying because that's what the do? If not then its time to get the bible and start praying for the resurrection. :roll:
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation