Second hand add's drying up

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Second hand add's drying up

Post by CAVEMAN » 13 Jul 2020, 8:08 pm

Evening all

Just been doing some browsing on ways to spend my tax return, and i have noticed a lack of secondhand adds at the moment. Not sure if anyone else has come to similar conclusions but i'm having a doosy of a time finding many leavers on the market.

Maybe its a sign of the times, or i may just be kicking the wrong rocks.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Second hand add's drying up

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2020, 8:09 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Evening all

Just been doing some browsing on ways to spend my tax return, and i have noticed a lack of secondhand adds at the moment. Not sure if anyone else has come to similar conclusions but i'm having a doosy of a time finding many leavers on the market.

Maybe its a sign of the times, or i may just be kicking the wrong rocks.

Probably because of Covid lockdown.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 13 Jul 2020, 8:12 pm

Possibly, without sounding callous i was expecting to see people liquidating some assets. But it seems quite the other way.

Well ill return to my search, or be real silly and buy new.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2020, 8:23 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Possibly, without sounding callous i was expecting to see people liquidating some assets. But it seems quite the other way.

Well ill return to my search, or be real silly and buy new.

I think more to do with the difficulties of getting around to look at things to buy and sell.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Jul 2020, 4:41 am

I reckon you’re right caveman. I browse second hand stuff online and there’s a big drop in stock. A mate of mine was in at a well known Brisbane store that normally has lots of second hand and milsurps and was told stuff has been flying of the shelves, but not much coming in for sale :unknown:
A lot more people settling up camper trailers and stuff too . Try getting a portable fridge, all stock selling out quickly as well
I think a lot of people are “prepping” , and I don’t think it’s just toilet paper their stocking up on ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Jakethefake » 14 Jul 2020, 10:58 am

I noticed that too. I have an uncle who buys and sells a lot of guns, and he mentioned that its been easy to sell at the moment.
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by ThatNewGuy » 14 Jul 2020, 4:09 pm

I have been cruising around online looking for 2nd hand ads to sate my curiosity while I decide on what to get next. While there haven't been many what I have noticed is some of the ads that have been appearing are usually cheaper/discounted prices compared to a few months ago even in bigger stores that deal with second-hand stuff.
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bill » 14 Jul 2020, 4:23 pm

I've seen some exceptional rifle builds get snapped up for less than 50% of the build cost recently.

Just missed out on a 404 J the other day....
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Jul 2020, 4:53 pm

I’m amazed at how many ads are out there - never used... blows my mind. Or 20 shots only - etc...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by rc42 » 14 Jul 2020, 6:35 pm

If you see a big bore rifle with only a few shots fired you know there's somebody with a sore shoulder that made a bad buying decision.

"The bigger the bang the greater the fun" is only true up to a point.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 14 Jul 2020, 7:40 pm

You can always place a wanted ad. I’ve had luck with them, if your happy to pay the listing fee. You just never know what’s actually out there, and sometimes a bit of a prompt might be all someone needs to sell one off.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jul 2020, 7:50 pm

Shootermick wrote:You can always place a wanted ad. I’ve had luck with them, if your happy to pay the listing fee. You just never know what’s actually out there, and sometimes a bit of a prompt might be all someone needs to sell one off.

I didn't advertise, but I did make it known that I was hunting a Swede Carbine, and _eventually_ one turned up just via word-of-mouth.

As for the lockdown, it does allow businesses to get stuff posted out quick. I ordered a clay thrower on Sunday and it arrived this morning!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 14 Jul 2020, 7:57 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’m amazed at how many ads are out there - never used... blows my mind. Or 20 shots only - etc...

I find there's allot of 45/70 in this category.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by boingk » 14 Jul 2020, 8:50 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:I find there's allot of 45/70 in this category.

Not surprised. Big tough cartridge if you aren't prepared for it, even with factory loads. Many of the rifles its chambered for aren't exactly what you'd call heavy, either. Hell, my 1895GBL didn't even come with a recoil pad. Go figure.

On the up side, many bargains still left out there. I managed to get into Vic well before Corona Round 2, I did not leave disappointed.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by womble » 15 Jul 2020, 5:10 am

You could just about buy another rifle for how much 20 shots costs in 45-70

I’m thinking prepping for the current armageddon/apocalypse. Plus the imminent martial law. Soldiers don’t have very good people skills. Plus people going stir crazy in isolation with covid eating their brains. Skyrocketing crime rates with stretched police and emergency services resources. Even the average citizen becomes violent and aggressive if you give them a shopping trolley.
Screw you China. Eat my dick
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Jul 2020, 7:12 am

Roflmao ^
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 15 Jul 2020, 9:15 am

womble wrote:You could just about buy another rifle for how much 20 shots costs in 45-70

I’m thinking prepping for the current armageddon/apocalypse. Plus the imminent martial law. Soldiers don’t have very good people skills. Plus people going stir crazy in isolation with covid eating their brains. Skyrocketing crime rates with stretched police and emergency services resources. Even the average citizen becomes violent and aggressive if you give them a shopping trolley.
Screw you China. Eat my dick

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a cva scout in 45-70 , and I miss it. Stop giving me ideas fellas. :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 15 Jul 2020, 9:26 am

TassieTiger wrote:I’m amazed at how many ads are out there - never used... blows my mind. Or 20 shots only - etc...

Which is the shooting equivalent of....It was owned by a little old lady and only driven to church on Sundays.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by ThatNewGuy » 15 Jul 2020, 9:43 am

I found an M96B through a secondhand ad a while ago that was all matching and in pretty good condition for cheaper than I had seen anywhere else.

I can't seem to find many rimfire ads though there is definite a lack of those.
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation