Marketing

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Marketing

Post by bigrich » 16 Jul 2020, 9:10 am

I don’t know if everyone else gets the same news feed as me but ever since I made a reference to dick smith on bladeracers topic about old Aussie 22 ammo the other day I’m getting bombarded with adds relating to dick Smith in the imaging. Ya gotta wonder about privacy and information in the modern internet world :wtf:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Marketing

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jul 2020, 9:27 am

It’s insane - I’m getting multiple references to what ever I post up.
Last week - I was emailed a list of properties for sake after commenting on land to shoot on !?!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jul 2020, 12:04 pm

No point at all wondering about privacy. Because their is none. iPads are not just responding to what you type, they are recording everything u say even if u are just rambling to yourself
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Jul 2020, 12:19 pm

Blr243 wrote:No point at all wondering about privacy. Because their is none. iPads are not just responding to what you type, they are recording everything u say even if u are just rambling to yourself

You’re not wrong there. A mate of mine and his wife were talking about fridges and they got bombarded on their phones and laptops with adds for fridges the next few days. I’m not kidding though, every time for the last few days I get on this forum, I get dick Smith staring back at me on a add of some type
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jul 2020, 2:30 pm

FREE MONEY, free money - tassie tiger deserves free money...ya hear that Bezos?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2020, 3:38 pm

Same here about smith. Just this morning I hit the report button on the add 3 times, gone now thank khriste
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Jul 2020, 4:13 pm

TassieTiger wrote:FREE MONEY, free money - tassie tiger deserves free money...ya hear that Bezos?

good on ya taz :lol:

i'll try my own experiment , bigrich wants hot nmpho chicks , bigrich wants hot nmpho chicks ........ :lol: and free beer, bigrich wants ....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2020, 4:17 pm

Bastard. I mentioned his name and the add is back.

It is a scam, you know. He denies any association.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 17 Jul 2020, 3:41 am

What adds are you blokes talking about? I don't got no fecking adds, on any on any my devices, what's goin' on?, why arn't I getting adds?? Someone, pleeaase tell me why I get no fecking adds. I feel so lonely and left out now. Maybe my life is so boring that even the interwebs don't want to track me. Maybe the interwebs already knows that I'm so poor that I couldna afford the things in the adds. Could it be that I am one of those grey people and fallen through the cracks of society? There has to be some reason I ain't getting adds. HOW DARE YOU deny me my share of adds, Mr interwebs. I want my share of adds, and I want them now!!!
Maybe there's a FB page for us addless interweb users.
I'll just go and look.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 17 Jul 2020, 4:47 am

Hey trekking, when I get on this forum there are advertising “windows “ in between peoples post . This morning it’s “ youi “ car insurance. The forum or the site setup must allow this for income and funding I guess. I ignore advertising, it’s wasted on me
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by trekin » 17 Jul 2020, 5:58 am

bigrich wrote:Hey trekking, when I get on this forum there are advertising “windows “ in between peoples post . This morning it’s “ youi “ car insurance. The forum or the site setup must allow this for income and funding I guess. I ignore advertising, it’s wasted on me

Yeah mate, I know. Just having a dig. I run Firefox with addbloker plus and privacy badger and others on all devices so don't get annoying adds and popups. And yes, I understand the adds here is what covers the costs of hosting this site and keeps it free for members, but as one of the better forums around, I'd just as happily pay a annual fee.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jul 2020, 9:36 am

Free money ......I get it. Jobkeeper. Mark knopfler told me I can get money for nothin
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Jul 2020, 11:11 am

If it bothers you, it can easily be fixed by changing a few settings in your Google account.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 17 Jul 2020, 11:35 am

on_one_wheel wrote:If it bothers you, it can easily be fixed by changing a few settings in your Google account.

Awww, geez mate. That’s tek-no-logical black magic for me ....... :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 17 Jul 2020, 11:37 am

Blr243 wrote:Free money ......I get it. Jobkeeper. Mark knopfler told me I can get money for nothin

Can I “get my chicks for free.......” as well

:lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Aliqua » 18 Jul 2020, 10:03 am

Nothing to do with privacy, delete your history/cache and the advertising has nothing to refer too.. they're called "cookies".
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 18 Jul 2020, 10:28 am

Aliqua wrote:Nothing to do with privacy, delete your history/cache and the advertising has nothing to refer too.. they're called "cookies".

Has everything to do with privacy mate. Clearing your devices histroy of cookies is a start, but does little to stop tracking. For example, if you have a FB account (wheather you publicly admit to it or not) a lot of your internet movements are being tracked and collated for targetted advertising. Off-Facebook activity https://www.facebook.com/help/2207256696182627 Follow the directions to turn this off, but before you do check out the sites that pass on imformation to FB, even this forum, EG, is listed.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Aliqua » 19 Jul 2020, 10:21 am

trekin wrote:
Aliqua wrote:Nothing to do with privacy, delete your history/cache and the advertising has nothing to refer too.. they're called "cookies".

Has everything to do with privacy mate. Clearing your devices histroy of cookies is a start, but does little to stop tracking. For example, if you have a FB account (wheather you publicly admit to it or not) a lot of your internet movements are being tracked and collated for targetted advertising. Off-Facebook activity https://www.facebook.com/help/2207256696182627 Follow the directions to turn this off, but before you do check out the sites that pass on imformation to FB, even this forum, EG, is listed.

My comment wasn't about other platforms, and I dont disagree with you - it was specific to the original question about why when someone says something on a forum or searches for something that ads start coming up relating to it.

My browsers are constantly logged into my gmail account for cross platform history etc, I know that that info had to be saved on their systems for that to work. Who cares. If you dont want 'the man's knowing what your doing online use incognito mode or use less popular browsers that dont conform to information gathering or... dont use Facebook, google, Twitter, ... anything... hell get real fancy and hide behind a VPN. that's the world we live in.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Jul 2020, 11:02 am

TassieTiger wrote:FREE MONEY, free money - tassie tiger deserves free money...ya hear that Bezos?

No Worries, Mate I'll send ya $10 bucks but It'll cost you $12.50 packing, handling and postage. Plwase fwd to...

Now I'll see if my Email will get free money emails..
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Jul 2020, 11:35 am

It's obvious that "they" are trying to wear us down.
Just as long as our trigger fingers hold out, we'll be ok but I am going to check out the "report" button on some persistent emails and to be on the safe side, I won't mention their subject.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation