Printer felt the need to tell me he can't print me a gun

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Printer felt the need to tell me he can't print me a gun

Post by sha » 17 Mar 2014, 9:54 am

You guys might have seen these 3D scan to printer joints in your shopping centres? If not, they're stalls or whatever where they can take photos with their machine of objects or you and it casts a colour plastic model of you. Pretty cool, but anyway...

I was having a look at the stall and the guy is giving me the spiel and says they can copy anything except a gun.

The things they were making were pretty cool, but the finish was very obviously moulded plastic. Had a dull white sheen to it and looked like old glass that you find on the beach. Worn dull and grainy and all that. If you dropped one they'd clearly smash to pieces.

So when the guy says it I can''t help but roll my eyes. I told him I was a licensed shooter and that making a gun out of home grade plastics was total nonsense but he was adamant people where already doing it.

He reckon they have had people ask them to do the frame so they could "drill a hole for the barrel" and all this nonsense... Obviously had NFI about the moving parts of a gun... Like you just drill a hole in something and voilà it's an install gun barrel.

After a minute I just left cause the guy was starting to turn into a dick about it. *sigh*

Gone are the days when you'd actually use your brain to think about something. Hear it once on the news and it's fact now apparently :roll:
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Printer felt the need to tell me he can't print me a gun

Post by Chronos » 17 Mar 2014, 11:09 am

But he probably saw it on the internet so it must be true!

Probably gets mall ninjas coming in all the time asking for a glock or a 15 round magazine :facepalm:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 17 Mar 2014, 11:36 am

Remember Die Hard 2?

"That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. Doesn't show up on your airport X-ray machines, here, and it cost more than you make in a month."

Must be a one of a kind pistol that Glock made just for Bruce :lol:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 17 Mar 2014, 12:18 pm

Blackened wrote:Remember Die Hard 2?

"That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. Doesn't show up on your airport X-ray machines, here, and it cost more than you make in a month."

Must be a one of a kind pistol that Glock made just for Bruce :lol:

I'd be looking at the glock 7A, with a 5" barrel to meet Australian regulations. Lol

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Xerox » 17 Mar 2014, 3:15 pm

Blackened wrote:Must be a one of a kind pistol that Glock made just for Bruce :lol:

There's only one because the guy who built it tested himself and blew himself up :P
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Broom » 17 Mar 2014, 6:05 pm

This has inspired me.

Going to watch all the Die Hard movies right now!

(except for 4th one, boooo)
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sha » 16 Apr 2014, 10:16 am

Well, the printer is gone after only a couple of weeks.

Maybe people got sick being spoken to like idiots.
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Off topic - General conversation