23yr old sues Aust govt re climate change?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

23yr old sues Aust govt re climate change?

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Jul 2020, 3:28 pm

Ummm, what now?
Investments are a known risk - I don’t get it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-22/ ... e/12480612
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: 23yr old sues Aust govt re climate change?

Post by Bugman » 22 Jul 2020, 5:20 pm

Guess she can do what she wants. Me............couldn't give a flying f*&k. :crazy:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by CrackThump » 22 Jul 2020, 5:30 pm

#1 Princess Snowflake Syndrome.

#2 another oxygen thief uni student trying to make a name for themself...
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Tiger650 » 22 Jul 2020, 7:04 pm

Would she be prepared to meet costs incurred by the defence when she loses ?
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 22 Jul 2020, 7:08 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Would she be prepared to meet costs incurred by the defence when she loses ?

Probably get Legal Aid........DOH!
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 22 Jul 2020, 7:22 pm

What the actual fahrk?

Good on her for not pursuing damages, but obviously can't as there isn't an extent.

Public market investment is always a trending one, ie losses are real and do happen.

The opposite is also true. I've made thousands in the past by shorting the ASX after the US takes a hit, thanks to the power of modern trading accounts and good old leverage.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Jul 2020, 7:34 pm

boingk wrote:What the actual fahrk?

Good on her for not pursuing damages, but obviously can't as there isn't an extent.

Public market investment is always a trending one, ie losses are real and do happen.

The opposite is also true. I've made thousands in the past by shorting the ASX after the US takes a hit, thanks to the power of modern trading accounts and good old leverage.

- boingk

Maybe she can offer any of her profits to those she is sueing....it can take 2-5 years to get in front of a judge for xxx in this country - crap like this slows the process for those that have legit argument.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 23 Jul 2020, 8:36 am

where is the common sence :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 26 Jul 2020, 3:36 pm

Still a waste of the legal system, and for what? Do I sue the guy next door for eating heaps of baked beans and contributing more than his fair share of methane gas to the atmosphere? Where will it end.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 26 Jul 2020, 3:38 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Would she be prepared to meet costs incurred by the defence when she loses ?

Her QC may be working pro-bono, and certainly the Federal Court can award costs to whomever wins the case, but the awarding of costs is not compulsory and is done on a case-by-case basis, usually in repsonse to frivilous litigation or in instances where the court believes its time has been wasted where mediation might have seen the same outcome. There are many precedents for the awarding – or otherwise – of costs.

If it does happen, she also has the option to file for bankruptcy.

Bugman wrote:

Probably get Legal Aid........DOH!

Unlikely, but possible: https://www.fedcourt.gov.au/going-to-co ... assistance
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Flyer » 26 Jul 2020, 3:51 pm

Bugman wrote:Still a waste of the legal system, and for what? Do I sue the guy next door for eating heaps of baked beans and contributing more than his fair share of methane gas to the atmosphere? Where will it end.

It won't end. These types of actions are just the beginning. Whatever your beliefs, more and more is being done each day to address climate change around the world and those who don't believe in it are pretty much powerless to stop it as their numbers diminish. Most deniers are from conservative backgrounds and many are from older generations who are dying off. It's as simple as that. Lots of studies out there backing this.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-05/ ... 78510?nw=0

https://thebulletin.org/2019/03/a-gener ... te-change/
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Flyer » 26 Jul 2020, 3:57 pm

Unless, of course, you also believe that climate change is impacting Treasury Bond returns and that failure to act is causing substantial losses?
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Bugman » 26 Jul 2020, 5:04 pm

Flyer wrote:
Bugman wrote:Still a waste of the legal system, and for what? Do I sue the guy next door for eating heaps of baked beans and contributing more than his fair share of methane gas to the atmosphere? Where will it end.

It won't end. These types of actions are just the beginning. Whatever your beliefs, more and more is being done each day to address climate change around the world and those who don't believe in it are pretty much powerless to stop it as their numbers diminish. Most deniers are from conservative backgrounds and many are from older generations who are dying off. It's as simple as that. Lots of studies out there backing this.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-05/ ... 78510?nw=0

https://thebulletin.org/2019/03/a-gener ... te-change/

Now I have never said that I deny climate change. If these "actions" are just the beginning then would it not be better to channel some of this "energy" into more constructive areas, like better education, health and...oh assist in fixing "climate change".
Mods: This another genuine post that is starting to get out of hand. Please consider having an end to it because it is going to be like a game of tennis between
Ilie Nastase and John McEnroe. While I try to respect the opinions of others, sometimes it becomes an avalanche of unproductive opinions.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 26 Jul 2020, 5:28 pm

"Unproductive opinions" are in the eye of the reader. But apart from that, I agree with what you say – we are better off channeling energy into real action to clean up the world and mitigating global warming.

Some might argue, however, that legal cases such as these draw attention to government inaction – which is a precursor to more action. Personally, I believe that's what this case – and other similar cases around the world – is /are designed to address. It generates publicity (obviously, because we are talking about it) as it tries to highlight the financial cost of continued environmental abuse.

The reality is some companies and governments appear to be unwilling to clean up their acts until it hits their bottom line. That's what this is about. It's not really about improving Ms O'Donnell's bottom line. Even if she loses, her objective is met.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Flyer » 26 Jul 2020, 5:36 pm

Bugman wrote:Guess she can do what she wants. Me............couldn't give a flying f*&k. :crazy:

Is this a productive or unproductive opinion? Genuine question in light of your statement.

You don't have to answer that. It's just an example of where one might draw the line on "productive" vs "unproductive" opinion. I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to say: everyone has their opinion, but their value is in the eye of the reader.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by duncan61 » 26 Jul 2020, 6:35 pm

I am a regular on Climate-debate.com and on the 16/7 ordered my very own CO2 testing device.It reads CO2 temperature and humidity.If I go around the world taking readings and the CO2 is below 300ppm will all this nonsense about Global warming go away.A few problems with the Theory.It is not possible for me to get an average temperature for the room I am sitting in let alone a snapshot of the whole planet in one go.Have a good think about how much energy it would take to increase the temperature of the worlds oceans.The sea of Perth goes between 17.8C - 24.6C at the beach in Scarborough and guess what nothing dies or goes extinct.It varies even more in the shallows off Rottnest and all the coral is still there.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 26 Jul 2020, 6:44 pm

how Stix got banned and you are still here flyer keeps me up at night filled with exasperation :roll:

this silly woman and her activist friends are obviously in need of a big steak sanga and to watch this doco from michael moore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE
and to stop wasting everyone's time, there are more important things to worry about than trying to get the door opened up about something that's not proven
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 26 Jul 2020, 7:40 pm

duncan61 wrote:I am a regular on Climate-debate.com and on the 16/7 ordered my very own CO2 testing device.It reads CO2 temperature and humidity.If I go around the world taking readings and the CO2 is below 300ppm will all this nonsense about Global warming go away.A few problems with the Theory.It is not possible for me to get an average temperature for the room I am sitting in let alone a snapshot of the whole planet in one go.Have a good think about how much energy it would take to increase the temperature of the worlds oceans.The sea of Perth goes between 17.8C - 24.6C at the beach in Scarborough and guess what nothing dies or goes extinct.It varies even more in the shallows off Rottnest and all the coral is still there.

The variations in sea temperature you refer to are caused by currents. Life that has evolved in these currents has learned to adapt to them. Much like when a dog sheds its winter coat in summer and vice versa in winter to adapt to a new range of temperatures.

Most living organisms have adaptive mechanisms to deal with a range of temperatures and other conditions. Freshwater fish, for example, can live in variations in dissolved oxygen (DO) at different times of year. Some species deal with it better than others. Some can deal with it for longer periods than others. However, when DO levels fall below a certain level, or remain below a certain level for a certain amount of time, then many fish species perish.

Basically, when mean temperatures or gases fall outside those already adapted to, then some organisms that are not adpated to the new range can suffer. That's the simple explanation for what you are observing.

It goes without saying, climate is measured as a whole, so variations in some parts of the world (hotter or colder seasons for example) do not necessarily reflect what is happening to the Earth as a whole.

But don't worry, scientists have taken many of these variables into account. They have far more resoucres to do so than the average punter.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by CrackThump » 26 Jul 2020, 7:50 pm

@Flyer.

Bankruptcy isnt an option with government debts. Lol. .she may be in for a rude shock
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Flyer » 26 Jul 2020, 7:51 pm

marksman wrote:how Stix got banned and you are still here flyer keeps me up at night filled with exasperation :roll:

this silly woman and her activist friends are obviously in need of a big steak sanga and to watch this doco from michael moore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE
and to stop wasting everyone's time, there are more important things to worry about than trying to get the door opened up about something that's not proven

That is a good documentary. There is debate about how dated some of the info is, but I like the fact they highlight that we have known about gobal warming since 1958 and done very little about it. I'm glad to see you agree something needs to be done because we are running out of time . . .

The premise is also correct that many resources are finite and that we need to reduce consumption, as well as adopt new technologies to slow warming and other man-made problems.

Not many of us can see into the future, but one of the variables is what sort of technology we develop as we evolve. All technology has to start somehere, so perhaps it's inaccurate to assert that renewable energy cannot help fix the problem (it likely can't fix the problem alone) when we don't know what sort of technology we might have in 20 or 30 years time. Cars have made great strides in efficiency since they were first mass produced, and so will things like photovoltaic cells and wind turbines etc.

But it's also true that the longer we do little or nothing, the worse the situation will ultimately be, and denying the problem exists in the first place doesn't really help anyone.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Flyer » 26 Jul 2020, 8:06 pm

CrackThump wrote:@Flyer.

Bankruptcy isnt an option with government debts. Lol. .she may be in for a rude shock

That applies to penalties and fines, not court-awarded costs. See here for forced bankruptcy in relation to being unable to pay Federal Court awarded costs:

https://www.fedcourt.gov.au/going-to-co ... egal-costs

Costs orders are enforceable. If you fail to pay the costs, then the order may be enforced in the Federal Court, which could result in, for example, a warrant for seizure and sale of property, or an application for bankruptcy or winding-up.

Going bankrupt doesn't mean you get off. You still have to liquidate your assets and pay off your debtors. Bankruptcy is designed for those who don't have the assets to meet all their debts so that they cannot be pursued for them for the rest of their life.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Return to Off topic - General conversation