Safety, I’m Puzzled

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Safety, I’m Puzzled

Post by boingk » 10 Aug 2020, 8:50 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Why are shooters so conscientious about shooting safety, but seem less conscientious about safety outside shooting? I would have thought shooting would further encourage safety throughout life, well more so.

Shooting is an almost uniquely and innately dangerous activity, the consequences of which can lead to an instant death or permanent disability. We follow the methods and rules to avoid that death or serious injury because it is blindingly obvious - you don't want a part of yourself or someone else to be in front of the boomstick... coz it might go BOOM.

Everything else? Yeah, why not. Stuff it. Run the risk, its not even real. A gun will kill you but hey, no helmet? Done it before and I'm fine. Seatbelt? Pffft. Its a quick trip, done it a million times, she'll be right mate.

I think its the juxtaposition, the extreme and isntantaneous danger of firearms with the not-so-imminent danger of other forms of protocol, especially the "i've done it before" type stuff as above.

Just a thought.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by FNQ » 11 Aug 2020, 4:40 am

For me it’s about calculated risks or risk management in work & play. Nothing is or will be 100% risk free but manufactures guide lines & experience plus age help with decision making.

In saying the above I have very little time for Karen from the OHS Department..... I throw a 60 tonne jet at the ground on a daily basis which comes with a lot of inherent risks. On any given day my priorities revolve around aircraft serviceability, weather, fuel etc where as Karen is more concerned about whether or not I’m wearing a high vis vest, have the right ID tags and done the sensitive training course.

Karens decision to put roll protection on all quad bikes to me also misses the mark. Yes there has been deaths & injuries cause by quads. For example; little Johnny was crushed by a quad bike that rolled. What was little Johnny doing on a 1000cc Honda Big Red, thongs, no helmet, full throttle, rocky paddock trying to be a crusty demon with zero supervision from mum & dad???? Karen says Mr Honda is to blame and must take action to prevent this... Mr Honda says to hard and pulls out of Australian quad market & Karen wins a OHS award in 2020.

I’ve got an old 1965 Massey 165 with no roll bar (ROPS) & a Honda Big Red on the farm which is hilly country. I’m YET to roll them but I operate them to the manufacturer specifications & my kids don’t play on them as they have size appropriate quads, helmets and I supervise them.

As for firearms. At the range I’m supervised & the back paddock I’m left to my own devices thereby it’s self discipline.

COVID is interesting and I think we need to learn to live with it as it’s not going away and realistically a vaccine is years away. Personally I don’t think they will ever create one.

Recently I attended a course run by Karen where she presented “no blame culture”. Very confusing considering legislation & litigation.

https://www.theceomagazine.com/business ... e-culture/

https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10 ... 3100236146
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 11 Aug 2020, 3:36 pm

The AROs knew better than to question us for not wearing hi-vis up north. At an airport were it regularly hit 40+C and high humidity, and with our company uniform being crisp, white shirts, it was obvious that anyone who couldn't see us on the black tarmac had no right taxiing an aircraft or driving a tug.

"You're not wearing hi-vis."

"One day you will get on my plane. Do you want me relaxed, cool and collected when I jump in the cockpit, or hot and bothered arguing about a silly vest before I hit all those switches?"

"Fair enough."
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Strangedog » 12 Aug 2020, 9:56 am

I love how you see the pollies on TV wearing hi vis and PPE while touring some factory. Like anyone is ever going to run them over with a fork. Infuriates me.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 12 Aug 2020, 4:02 pm

Strangedog wrote:I love how you see the pollies on TV wearing hi vis and PPE while touring some factory. Like anyone is ever going to run them over with a fork. Infuriates me.

they probably wear the high vis and PPE so you CAN'T get away with running them over......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation