Looking to get my young fella licensed in NSW

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Looking to get my young fella licensed in NSW

Post by Clem » 07 Sep 2020, 1:39 pm

Hi....I'm in NSW and my young fella is 16.
I went out and bought him a .22 today. Now I need to get him licensed.

Settled on the CZ ZKM455 Synthetic 22LR. Seems to be decent first rifle.
I really wanted to buy Aussie, but the weight of the Lithgow was a deal breaker.

Can he apply for himself or do I need to do it through my license?
What are your thoughts on the CZ? Did I pull the trigger too early(excuse the pun)

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Looking to get my young fella licensed in NSW

Post by johnboy357 » 07 Sep 2020, 7:56 pm

Probably best to put the new rifle on your license. It might take a while for the young bloke to get his license through all the hoops so at least if it is on your License he can shoot it under your supervision and transfer it when he finally gets his own License
johnboy357
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Sep 2020, 8:47 pm

In NSW, he needs to apply for a "Minors permit". Once obtained, it is valid until he turns 18. You will need to fill out the parental authority part of the application. He will need to do the safe-handling and knowledge test, these are usually conducted by your local club, although there are other avenues.
He cannot "own" a firearm on a minors permit. Also, he cannot be in possession of , or even handle a firearm, unless under direct supervision of a full licence holder.
Be very careful what is posted on "social media", it can lead to problems for both of you.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Jarhead » 10 Sep 2020, 7:09 am

Hey Clem,

You might take a look at the Biathalon crew that the club Alpine runs- mainly at Malabar. They are all young shooters and compete with .22's. They are a great bunch of people. Your young fella might fit in there with the new rifle!

https://www.nswbiathlon.com.au/about/al ... ifle-club/
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Clem » 10 Sep 2020, 7:44 am

Thanks gentlemen for the info.
I will look at obtaining a minor's permit for him ASAP.
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 10 Sep 2020, 4:23 pm

This reminds of when I turned 11 ( many years ago) and it was an unwritten right of passage that my dad gave me an air rifle which I treasured. Simpler times then and a lot more trust than today. Now it is a bureaucratic obstacle race with little rhyme nor reason. How is a young fellow supposed to learn and be issued with trust?
Bring back the simpler times.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Clem » 19 Sep 2020, 12:42 pm

Bugman wrote:This reminds of when I turned 11 ( many years ago) and it was an unwritten right of passage that my dad gave me an air rifle which I treasured. Simpler times then and a lot more trust than today. Now it is a bureaucratic obstacle race with little rhyme nor reason. How is a young fellow supposed to learn and be issued with trust?
Bring back the simpler times.

:drinks:

It certainly is a shame it has come to this, but I am looking for ward to spending time teaching him the best I can.
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation