has anyone else been getting these

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

has anyone else been getting these

Post by marksman » 19 Sep 2020, 12:47 pm

just wondering has anyone else been getting recorded message phone calls in chinese :unknown:
or is it just in Vic :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: has anyone else been getting these

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Sep 2020, 2:07 pm

I had one last week, but they speak too quick for me to pick out any words that I know of Mandarin. None of my Chinese friends have had one so I can't ask them either. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 19 Sep 2020, 2:28 pm

I got one in April did not think to much of it this was on my mobile .
I made the mistake of answering and the next few days was HELL every 10 min my phone would ring 3-4 times then just hang up started at about 4:30 am and was still doing it at 11 pm started on a Saturday by Wednesday I rang my phone provider , who,s only suggestion was try barring the numbers after i had banned about 100 plus numbers I went in to the shop front store near me asked what I can do this is where they told me I could go to the police ( WHAT THE F...) CHANGE MY NUMBER or just put up with it mind you I banned another 4 numbers when I was in the shop so I decided to change my number when doing this another bloke came in saying how can I stop all these calls from overseas. the guy in shop told me they were getting about 4-5 people per day
So I had that number forever cant rember the new number In retrospect what i should have done was just got a sim and keep the old one idle for a few weeks in a draw.
Far as I can find out the scam was ring you number while its dialing enter a code to forward on to another number
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2020, 3:04 pm

Yep, had a dozen or more over the past three months or so. Just hang up and block the number each time.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by eddievic » 19 Sep 2020, 3:21 pm

It is a known scam. It used to be real people but i suppose recorded messages are cheaper and more prolific.

Basically gives you a story how eg Chinese immigration are after you and if you pay them money in gift cards the matter will disappear. Heard about it last year on 3aw, there is a afp scamwatch article on it
https://www.afp.gov.au/news-media/media ... ernational

Someone even recorded some calls
https://www.marketplace.org/2019/10/22/ ... bocallers/

An old article in USA
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-behi ... robocalls/

Or maybe you have indeed pissed off the Chinese and they are sending a goon squad to kidnap you.
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Sep 2020, 3:47 pm

Yep, heaps and this is a well known scam...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 19 Sep 2020, 5:41 pm

Tell em to fluck off.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 19 Sep 2020, 5:58 pm

Bugman wrote:Tell em to fluck off.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: good one

we have been getting them for a while and the better half has been telling them where to go but in ozzie :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 19 Sep 2020, 7:01 pm

Yes we've had heaps up here as well tried to get telstra to cut them but they said they can't they told us to lock them out of the land phone but they took our phone that give the number of the caller, so how do you block it, telstra up here won't supply a phone that shows the number any more we have to buy our own and have it connected by them and still pay for the old phone ,feken rip off, i rang the police and if it's true, these calls can be set up so when you pick up the phone the call is charged to your account so if you hang up you still pay for the call, now if this is true it's no wonder the phone companies don't want to do anything about it. Does anybody have any knowledge if this is possible, if it is i will be getting rid of my landline
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 19 Sep 2020, 7:57 pm

Getting heaps but the landline goes immediately to voicemail and they don't answer. I'd say since covid shutdown I've been averaging 3 a day.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 19 Sep 2020, 8:52 pm

Yep, I've been receiving the calls for a few months now.

A call a month for 6 months, something like that.

I'm just hanging up as soon as I hear the voice obviously. No idea what the point of the call is.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Grandadbushy » 20 Sep 2020, 3:22 am

A couple of ours was that we were supposed to have illegal activity on our tax file number press 1 to find out more so just hung up
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by poid » 20 Sep 2020, 5:23 pm

been getting them for years, but maybe the Vic ones are messages of support rather than a scam!
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 20 Sep 2020, 5:43 pm

A recorded Chinese message in Chinese it must be some sort of CCP brain washing program. Keep listening you may be converted.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by duncan61 » 20 Sep 2020, 11:33 pm

I have had the tax one where I will get arrested soon and the chinese ones had one this morning
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 20 Sep 2020, 11:50 pm

Its called Phone bouncing how it works
Say some on in Angola /Colombia home of marching nasal snow( or any other country for that mater ) needs to ring Australia they ring a number here but when it starts ringing here they enter a code and bounce of you phone.
No drama if you have unlimited calls in Australia you wont notice a cost hike Telstra operators were doing that here in the 70 s one main problem may come if they are doing something that cops may be listing to who,s number did the call come from .
its a 50 year old phone hack
If you start getting heaps of international calls REPORT it
The Chinese one is an immigration scam on Chinese in Australia
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 21 Sep 2020, 7:47 pm

I've had about a dozen over the last 2 years, I now press '1' on the keypad during the recorded message and it transfers me to a real person jabbering away in Chinese, I do my best to jabber back in made up Chinese but they get angry and hang up.. then I block the number.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation