Most important road safety

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Most important road safety

Post by Tiger650 » 11 Oct 2020, 2:04 am

Whilst waiting to turn right never steer right toward oncoming traffic.
Recently in The Hunter Valley a woman and a child were killed when their vehicle was forced into the path of an oncoming truck when their vehicle was hit from behind.
A search for a link to post here came up nil, NSW Police had deleted it, possibly because they have charged the driver who initiated the collision.
I did find another more recent single fatality which occurred under similar circumstances in QLD.
If you "turn in" whilst waiting re-educate yourself as a matter of urgency and please try to educate others, particularly young folk.
Drive as defensively as you like, it is very difficult to avoid getting rear ended.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Most important road safety

Post by Blr243 » 11 Oct 2020, 8:43 am

I have heard about that situation before. Very difficult I think to program our minds against the natural tendency to commence the turn in anticipation of our intended direction. ...this topic is a reminder of what can happen. Sharing this info might save a life. Good post tiger
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 11 Oct 2020, 9:01 am

Yes mate, I drum this very thing into my daughter who is learning to drive at present.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Oct 2020, 12:15 pm

Motorbike safety 101.
When stopped at lights, do not rest your clutch hand and have bike in neutral - until at least one other vehicle is behind you. In gear and watching mirrors = a chance to get out of there if not seen...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bugman » 11 Oct 2020, 5:03 pm

Yep. Same with stopping at traffic lights. You get a green light BUT you still look right and left before proceeding, because there is always a chance that some driver coming the other way will run a red light.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 11 Oct 2020, 5:09 pm

Bugman wrote:Yep. Same with stopping at traffic lights. You get a green light BUT you still look right and left before proceeding, because there is always a chance that some driver coming the other way will run a red light.

Or emergency services proceeding. Sage advice.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Oct 2020, 5:17 pm

I used to ask my students - if you’ve got a green light to proceed, and a guy comes through intersection and collects you, smashing you off your bike - who is in the wrong ? And I’d let them rant for a few minutes about suing the driver, etc but ultimately I’d tell them they are wrong...the correct answer is “who gives a rats?”....if you lying dead on the other side of your bike, suing someone doesn’t mean s**t...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Off topic - General conversation