The Social Dilemma Movie

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

The Social Dilemma Movie

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2020, 12:17 pm

Howdy folks,

So, this movie has been mentioned in a couple of threads, and I've just finished watching it. Here's what I think, should you give a damn.

It is propaganda, it is leftist propaganda, it is... I don't want to say lies mixed with truth, but there is some sleight of hand at play. Like a magic trick as was conveniently a point in the film.

It mentions some important information, but it is laced with sneaky poisons to affect your opinions in ways that aren't direct. I'll provide some examples to help you understand the undertones.

- They mention how the internet has been used to recruit ISIS members and spread "White Supremacy".
- They show a diagram showing the statistics of young female suicides.
- The strong favourable people in their short movie cutscenes are women.
- The ignorant foolish people are guys in the cut scenes (sit coms for the last 50 years did the same thing)
- The parental relationship in the cutscenes is interracial.
- They depict people questioning things as "crazy conspiracy theorists"; some things that would generally be important things to question they mix with more outlandish ideas, or ideas that have cause controversy.
- They give the illusion that they are being fair and balanced.

These are some of the things that I noticed. You may have a different viewing experience. I guess to sum it up, I think it's a movie about Silicon Valley, by Silicon Valley, for Silicon Valley. I think it expresses some important information, but I think they use subversive underhanded tactics to spread other propaganda.
Member-Deleted

Re: The Social Dilemma Movie

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Oct 2020, 12:21 pm

The real issue - is...the issue. You’ve just highlighted exactly what the doco is about.
No one can any longer present anything as fact, as truth, one way or the other - this is the entire problem...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2020, 12:41 pm

TassieTiger wrote:The real issue - is...the issue. You’ve just highlighted exactly what the doco is about.
No one can any longer present anything as fact, as truth, one way or the other - this is the entire problem...

I agree, the conclusion people have to come to is, is there or isn't there truth as was mentioned in the movie. If there is, how is it determined and spread? If there isn't, well the answer for that wasn't touched on. A reason why truth is a difficult concept among the reasons they mentioned i.e. we perceive the world as it has been presented to us. It's not because of social media itself, I think social media has brought the issue to light, but it's because lies, dishonesty, misinformation a propaganda are the primary tools used in democracy and warfare. Our foundations are built on illusions that we will never uncover, and people can't trust anything or anyone (should they?).

An interesting quote by Chomsky "Propaganda is to democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state".
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Oct 2020, 1:04 pm

The conclusions can be based on what we are seeing in the world (shielded somewhat, living in Aust I grant you) - has the populace deteriorated in last 5-10 years vs previous years / decades? Has suicidal rates escalated exponentially since online bullying became normalised? Especially in kids ?

I speak to friends in the US who tell me things that are happening around them and I can’t fathom it - homeless, drugs, deteriorating of basic needs - at least in LA...
I have kids and they hang on social media - and despite my protests, many are just the same across many schools - I’ve spoken to principals snd teachers and they are all so worried - kids are living life via social media...they don’t want, nor enjoy whst us old timers would refer to as reality...I assume - this will not only continue, but escalate...and then ready player one world - becomes reality for billions.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2020, 1:07 pm

TassieTiger wrote:The conclusions can be based on what we are seeing in the world (shielded somewhat, living in Aust I grant you) - has the populace deteriorated in last 5-10 years vs previous years / decades? Has suicidal rates escalated exponentially since online bullying became normalised? Especially in kids ?

I speak to friends in the US who tell me things that are happening around them and I can’t fathom it - homeless, drugs, deteriorating of basic needs - at least in LA...
I have kids and they hang on social media - and despite my protests, many are just the same across many schools - I’ve spoken to principals snd teachers and they are all so worried - kids are living life via social media...they don’t want, nor enjoy whst us old timers would refer to as reality...I assume - this will not only continue, but escalate...and then ready player one world - becomes reality for billions.

I think Black Mirror provides a great insight to possible features of the future. I highly recommend a watch. But like you, I also don't believe Western society will last that long.
Member-Deleted

Post by pomemax » 11 Oct 2020, 2:49 pm

As they said in the movie the Gene is out of the bottle I for one dont think it could /should be put back in the bottle
I think the important point was said by the 62 year old "HE DID NOT UNDERSTAND" it all But he was investigating then making recommendations to law makes I bet with tech company's saying they should regulate themselves. ( yer right that about to happen )
Funny or is that ironic that most in the Movie were involved with the making of the platforms in some way and how many of them allow their own children not to use any screen lol
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2020, 3:25 pm

pomemax wrote:As they said in the movie the Gene is out of the bottle I for one dont think it could /should be put back in the bottle
I think the important point was said by the 62 year old "HE DID NOT UNDERSTAND" it all But he was investigating then making recommendations to law makes I bet with tech company's saying they should regulate themselves. ( yer right that about to happen )
Funny or is that ironic that most in the Movie were involved with the making of the platforms in some way and how many of them allow their own children not to use any screen lol

Drug dealers typically wouldn't allow their children to use drugs ;)
Member-Deleted

Post by Bugman » 11 Oct 2020, 5:01 pm

One interesting thing is that the "facts" can be and are being manu"fact"ured. Difficult times ahead, me thinks.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 11 Oct 2020, 5:11 pm

its like waking up and realising John Wayne is really dead :wtf:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Oct 2020, 5:14 pm

Bugman wrote:One interesting thing is that the "facts" can be and are being manu"fact"ured. Difficult times ahead, me thinks.

This is 100% the underlying story of the doco - and yep...I don’t think anyone really, truly understands what the will ultimately mean for all of us...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2020, 6:01 pm

Bugman wrote:One interesting thing is that the "facts" can be and are being manu"fact"ured. Difficult times ahead, me thinks.

Indeed, indeed. I do believe we are in quite a desperate spot. I'm thinking of starting a "gang" so to speak, no criminal activities, unless shtf and it's duty to rebel. The Armed Society, recruit from all different groups that are involved with legal arms and fighting. Have a clubhouse and multiple chapters, dedicated members and associates like the bikies, but be about forwarding and funding positive change in Australia as far as laws and rights go with arms for citizens, the rights for soldiers/police to take service weapons home, self defence laws improving, the right to form militias, remasculinating (not a word) our society and children. Straight white men only, to avoid unnecessary drama and conflict. Provide services, training and education around firearms and related careers/industries.

Motto: "Prepare, Adapt, Survive"
What do you think?
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Oct 2020, 6:16 pm

It’s an interesting discussion point and opinions will no doubt vary. What do ppl think ?

I don’t think regional Aust will be impacted greatly but I think there will be a huge move out of cities and a dedicated movement back to smaller communities...Aust can manage this much easier than almost everywhere else - maybe prrpper like families will pop up everywhere, independent of main stream...

Of course if society breaks down completely...supply chains fail etc - well mad max will be nothing.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2020, 6:28 pm

TassieTiger wrote:It’s an interesting discussion point and opinions will no doubt vary. What do ppl think ?

I don’t think regional Aust will be impacted greatly but I think there will be a huge move out of cities and a dedicated movement back to smaller communities...Aust can manage this much easier than almost everywhere else - maybe prrpper like families will pop up everywhere, independent of main stream...

Of course if society breaks down completely...supply chains fail etc - well mad max will be nothing.

Yeah, definitely, I think there is a real need for community support. Lonewolves die quickly. If "the gang" can build itself into a decent size, then associations can be made with sympathetic business owners, farmers, dealers, manufacturers etc. etc. Thus improving odds.
Member-Deleted

Post by eddievic » 11 Oct 2020, 7:30 pm

To paraphrase..... the crux of the show is

If you are not paying for the product then you are the product.

There is another doco on netflix that covers the other stuff some of you mention. But ill not mention it here, cuz it might upset some people.
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2020, 7:41 pm

eddievic wrote:To paraphrase..... the crux of the show is

If you are not paying for the product then you are the product.

There is another doco on netflix that covers the other stuff some of you mention. But ill not mention it here, cuz it might upset some people.

Don't be silenced by the offended!
Member-Deleted

Return to Off topic - General conversation