Uncle Bang Wants Your Opinion on Militias/gangs

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Uncle Bang Wants Your Opinion on Militias/gangs

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Oct 2020, 11:19 am

Hi guys,

Related to a comment on this forum, I want to hear your opinion on the idea of militias and gangs in general.

Excluding the politics and demographics of various groups, and assuming the group was law abiding, I'd like to know what you think of them. Do you think they are good/bad, necessary/unnecessary, why? Etc.

IMPORTANT
Please don't comment anything that may incriminate yourself or others, or otherwise seriously affect your standing with various governing bodies. :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Re: Uncle Bang Wants Your Opinion on Militias/gangs

Post by eddievic » 13 Oct 2020, 12:00 pm

Are you taking about gangs and malitias as in like they are in USA, african or Asian countries.
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Oct 2020, 12:05 pm

eddievic wrote:Are you taking about gangs and malitias as in like they are in USA, african or Asian countries.

Would that make a difference to you? I'm not thinking of any particular example, or country, just the idea of law abiding people with similar ideas getting together into groups and having guns. The US is probably the best example of law abiding militias though.
Member-Deleted

Post by SAnewb85 » 13 Oct 2020, 1:02 pm

Gangs aren't law abiding, most, obviously not all individuals I've met who are involved with gangs and such have been cowards who need 20 mates to back them up when they get checked for their poor behaviour.

As for militias, depending on their stated purpose and membership criteria, I'd say many would be a bunch of gi Joe wannabes who are about as dangerous as a basket full of kittens.

Obvious exceptions apply when talking about political agendas and aspirations.
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Oct 2020, 3:02 pm

SAnewb85 wrote:Gangs aren't law abiding, most, obviously not all individuals I've met who are involved with gangs and such have been cowards who need 20 mates to back them up when they get checked for their poor behaviour.

As for militias, depending on their stated purpose and membership criteria, I'd say many would be a bunch of gi Joe wannabes who are about as dangerous as a basket full of kittens.

Right, but do you see them as a benefit? Basically all they are should they be law abiding is another organisation of likeminded individuals, except armed and trained.
Member-Deleted

Post by mchughcb » 13 Oct 2020, 3:21 pm

Only if its in the constitution.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 13 Oct 2020, 3:37 pm

Just not interested.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by SAnewb85 » 13 Oct 2020, 3:53 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:
SAnewb85 wrote:Gangs aren't law abiding, most, obviously not all individuals I've met who are involved with gangs and such have been cowards who need 20 mates to back them up when they get checked for their poor behaviour.

Right, but do you see them as a benefit? Basically all they are should they be law abiding is another organisation of likeminded individuals, except armed and trained.

I'm all for people hanging out with other like minded people.
Its the armed and trained that is a concern, purely from the stand point of "to what end"?
Are they training and arming themselves to support the army/police/etc or are they doing it to protect people who can't protect themselves?
Are they disciples of the new messiah?

If people want to train and arm themselves for a SHTF scenario, I'm all for it. The more people that can look after themselves and others without being totally reliant on and overwhelming government or police etc resources can only be a good thing.
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 13 Oct 2020, 4:37 pm

miltias were relevant in the united states over 100 years ago but with modern communications and jet aircraft being able to respond in minutes militias are irelevant in the modern world . it's part of their constitution and all , but the circumstances have changed a little since it was written
the idea of a militia is as a deterant to invasion ,british, mexican , native american's on the warpath and spanish in america's case . america has had to defend it's own soil numerous times
the idea of a milita is to defend local people from harm by local people from hostile forces .in the modern world militias are a magnet for right wingers in my opinion , i don't see the need for a militia in australia. if people really want to contribute to the defence of the nation and help the community maybe join the army reserve :unknown:

when i hear the word "gangs" i think of a criminal element outlaw bikers , sudo ratbags , etc

as a member of a gun club i already hang with likeminded people , not all of whom i agree with . some that i've known for a few years now are keen on hunting expeditions , which is my lifestyle goal . besides drinking beer ....... :D

ya asked for a opinion, this is mine . it's off the cuff so i may add more too it, or rethink some aspects ;)

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Oct 2020, 5:15 pm

Gangs suck, typically a bunch of losers who as individuals are pathetically weak in many ways but as a gang, feeding of the mob mentally they're a bunch of dangerous losers.

Militias....
In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The A-Team.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by CAVEMAN » 13 Oct 2020, 6:37 pm

Never of those are apart of the Australian psyche, the closest thing we have is the local cricket club down the pub after a Saturday game.

I like to think Australia's identity is one that is fun loving and laid back and stands up for the little guy. We don't need such things we band together and get the job done. Which i think was more than preset in our terrible fire season.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Oct 2020, 6:39 pm

At a quick guess or knee jerk response, I would venture that ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you want to go down this path or find out first hand,,,,, pack up and move to the US of A or wherever,,,,,, and leave our members out of it.

EOD.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 13 Oct 2020, 6:55 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Militias....
In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The A-Team.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"I PITY THE FOOL THAT'S NOT ON ENOUGH GUN ........." :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Oct 2020, 7:06 pm

Die Judicii wrote:At a quick guess or knee jerk response, I would venture that ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you want to go down this path or find out first hand,,,,, pack up and move to the US of A or wherever,,,,,, and leave our members out of it.

EOD.

I can give my opinion if wanted, otherwise I'm just chasing other people's thoughts about militias, bands/gangs of people. Knee jerk reaction/quick guess aside, what do you think of the idea of society having groups of people who are armed, trained and don't belong to the government?
Member-Deleted

Post by Shootermick » 13 Oct 2020, 7:10 pm

Die Judicii wrote:At a quick guess or knee jerk response, I would venture that ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

EOD.

Well said DJ.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Oct 2020, 7:37 pm

Don't worry if I don't reply to your comments guys, I'm reading them, I'm not trying to change/confirm opinions here, just wanting to know your thoughts. Thanks to those who contribute a decent answer :)
Member-Deleted

Post by animalpest » 13 Oct 2020, 8:28 pm

NO NO NO
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Oct 2020, 8:48 pm

animalpest wrote:NO NO NO

Reasons?
Member-Deleted

Post by womble » 14 Oct 2020, 3:33 am

There are militias in Australia.
And they’ve been disarmed and are fighting in the courts to get their guns back.
They are law abiding citizens, but would be considered enemies of the state for their political ideologies, which without going into detail are against democracy.
They’d probably be our greatest current threat to national security and take up most of asios resources.
They recruit online if you’re interested. Not a difficult thing to get sucked into if you’re young and lonely and unhappy with your standing in life.
They’re also pretty much the sole reason all legitimate gun owners in aus keep getting more restrictive ownership.
And they know it. And the feds know that they know it. So yeah they’re screwing us, albeit unintentionally.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 14 Oct 2020, 3:55 am

Makes zero difference for us which of the majors hold office here bangwizzplop. Both are centrists. Westminster democracy.
All governments are bound by their constitutions.
Shooters lobbies invest heavily in one side of the coin but get zero back for it. Because theres nothing they can give back.
But hey it’s free money so they’re happy to take it and run your platform. Maybe next time haha.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 14 Oct 2020, 7:03 am

Gangs of armed thugs roaming the streets carrying real assault weapons, enforcing laws as they see fit, beating people up, robbing them and even killing them with almost no consequences or accountability unless caught on video, we don't need militias we have police for that already and in true mafia style they wouldn't accept any other gangs on their turf.

It seems funny that police were actually created to stop highwaymen that would stop travelers and rob them at the side of the road but that seems to be the main thing that police do themselves now, at least they just send you a demand for money through the post rather than putting a gun in your face but its obviously too good a business model for nobody to do it.

In terms of law abiding 'militia' an unarmed neighborhood watch is as much as would be accepted, capturing video evidence and calling the police being their only allowed actions.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Oct 2020, 7:16 am

rc42 wrote:Gangs of armed thugs roaming the streets carrying real assault weapons, enforcing laws as they see fit, beating people up, robbing them and even killing them with almost no consequences or accountability unless caught on video, we don't need militias we have police for that already and in true mafia style they wouldn't accept any other gangs on their turf.

It seems funny that police were actually created to stop highwaymen that would stop travelers and rob them at the side of the road but that seems to be the main thing that police do themselves now, at least they just send you a demand for money through the post rather than putting a gun in your face but its obviously too good a business model for nobody to do it.

I never thought about it like that... come to think of it, both use safety as a means of control. Highwaymen: "You'd be putting your safety at great risk if you didn't pay us."
Police: "We deem you to be putting the safety of yourself and others at great risk by driving 10km over the speed limit on the highway. Pay this fine or take it to court, you opt to not do either, well, let's just say, pay the fine"
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Oct 2020, 7:34 am

womble wrote:There are militias in Australia.
And they’ve been disarmed and are fighting in the courts to get their guns back.
They are law abiding citizens, but would be considered enemies of the state for their political ideologies, which without going into detail are against democracy.
They’d probably be our greatest current threat to national security and take up most of asios resources.
They recruit online if you’re interested. Not a difficult thing to get sucked into if you’re young and lonely and unhappy with your standing in life.
They’re also pretty much the sole reason all legitimate gun owners in aus keep getting more restrictive ownership.
And they know it. And the feds know that they know it. So yeah they’re screwing us, albeit unintentionally.

I don't plan on joining them, but just for research purposes, are you able to mention them? Use numbers and symbols if that makes you more comfortable.
The closest thing to a militia (not neighbourhood watch) that I have seen in Australia are the following:

- Avi Yemeni's IDF Training gym where he used to train anybody (not just security/police/military) how to use handguns defensively, and try and convince people to join the IDF. ASIO said they would charge him with treason and terrorism charges if he didn't stop. Avi figured it wasn't worth the hassle.
- There was a Muslim group that set up a base in the outback where they would conduct training drills and such. They disappeared from the news pretty quickly so unsure of what the outcome was.
- A group called True Blue Crew were recruiting concerned citizens to be able to help victims of the African Gangs here in Victoria, no violence was called for and no training offered, it was more of like a security company made up of volunteers. Nothing ever came of it. Comrade Dan ended up just striking a deal with the gangs to basically just pay them tax payer's money in order to keep them from committing crimes. Essentially paying ransom/tribute after lying to the public about the existence of the gangs and the level of seriousness of the situation.
Member-Deleted

Return to Off topic - General conversation