Solving the worlds energy crisis - 1 step at a time...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Solving the worlds energy crisis - 1 step at a time...

Post by Blr243 » 19 Oct 2020, 9:26 pm

First time. I ever set up solar. Panels with an inverter and a couple Of batteries to run my fridge on a hunt was about middday in summer....not thinking I sat the Inverter on the ground, or to be precise on a concrete slab next to the shearing shed. The slab was hotter than Liz Hurley when she was 25 ...in hindsight, if the inverter was sitting elevated on an Empty tin can it might have had a chance to cool down but no ,I fried it. Don’t do this. Learn from my mistake.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Oct 2020, 7:48 am

For those truly interested in maybe advancing this -

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2018 ... y-storage/

Note the efficiency losses printed within this story rate pumped hydro - very close to chemical batteries. Interesting to say least.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by eddievic » 22 Oct 2020, 3:39 pm

Dang interesting. For a smaller system for a single house this air based system might be quite good and viable.

Getting two i suppose air tanks is probably the difficult part.
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Quirinus » 29 Oct 2020, 10:52 am

Combine the compressed air system with a trompe. A good flow of water with enough head is all you need to compress air, and you don't have to deal with the heat generated during compression. Trompes have been around for ever, and there is plenty of info around to guide you.

Instead of Snowy 2 pumping water up hill, they could add a trompe and extra generation capacity for a fraction of the Snowy 2 cost, and use most of the existing infrastructure.
Quirinus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation