School transport in the country years ago

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

School transport in the country years ago

Post by Blr243 » 16 Oct 2020, 7:23 pm

Was chatting to my mother and she mentioned one day at school a teacher and a student were having a Barney so the kid up and left in a bad mood middle of the classroom he ran out the door and jumped on his horse bareback and took off home ....so I then asked did kids ride their horses to school back then and she said yeah They Had a special paddock for the kids horses to graze in the daytime So the horses would not stray. And then there rode them home. ..and she reckons she saw school teachers turn up in a horse drawn sulky. Part of history , gone almost forgotten
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: School transport in the country years ago

Post by Sarco » 16 Oct 2020, 7:41 pm

My late mother spoke of using a sulky for her older brother and herself and later her younger sister to go to school and the arrangement was much the same. She grew up on a dairy farm at Ellinbank in Vic and later finishing primary school in Nilma and on to Warragul High School.

Once the farm was sold and the family moved to Nilma, they caught the train (steam in those days) to school in Warragul. She always said that she missed those simpler days.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: School transport in the country years ago

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Oct 2020, 7:57 pm

Big group of us went on a motorcycle adventure couple years back - exploring the Vic high country. We ended up at the Dargo hotel...where ppl still ride their horses to the pub...in to the pub...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Off topic - General conversation