Melbourne cup day very expensive for me

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Melbourne cup day very expensive for me

Post by Blr243 » 03 Nov 2020, 2:17 pm

Who else did 4500 bucks ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Melbourne cup day very expensive for me

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Nov 2020, 3:49 pm

Wtf. ? Really ?
I’ve never gotten in to horse racing - being a pessimist re fixed races doesn’t help lol. But 4500 ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 03 Nov 2020, 4:26 pm

I went to work and for the entire morning was oblivious to the fact that it was cup day. Finished my project , got paid, went to my local club for lunch , had a beer, And a little later I walked into an electronics store that sells drones with thermal cameras. So this is where I came undone big time . But mucking around with it so far the blades are not yet turning but I’m familiarising myself with the settingS on the thermal camera .....Tonight I will put it in the sky and practice on my dog. I think a 33 kg dog Is perfect practice for looking for feral pigs. for the next week and a half prior to my hunt I will probably seem a bit distant and perhaps distracted at work. I don’t care. Keen to get this gear into the field
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 03 Nov 2020, 5:11 pm

What happens when you find a pig and reflexively drop the controls to grab your rifle...... does the drone just hover.? Or suddenly go full spazztron.?

And is there an app that syncs the drone to your scope to tell you what adjustments for range, windage, undulating ground etc etc etc to get a kill shot on a preselected target.?

Shenanigans I say.. !!!! Skynet is here..

Actually Im just jealous lol... Id fkn love a drone
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 03 Nov 2020, 5:27 pm

All drones just hover as soon as u stop controlling them Initially I’ll just be locating them , getting within 100 . And then stalking with the wind in my face like the old days. I won’t be useing it on open crop country ...it’s strictly for locating them in thick reeds I have heard of people useing drones to herd mobs towards them , and for scaring them out of crops into the open. I can pre record from my phone the sounds of anything eg gunshots and then use the speaker on the drone to emit the sounds when required. My idea is to make them think it’s a chopper and scare them towards me. The area gets chopper shooters a few tines a year ..... but advanced techniques are a long way off yet. For now I’ll keep it simple
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2020, 6:48 pm

Blr243 wrote:I went to work and for the entire morning was oblivious to the fact that it was cup day. Finished my project , got paid, went to my local club for lunch , had a beer, And a little later I walked into an electronics store that sells drones with thermal cameras. So this is where I came undone big time . But mucking around with it so far the blades are not yet turning but I’m familiarising myself with the settingS on the thermal camera .....Tonight I will put it in the sky and practice on my dog. I think a 33 kg dog Is perfect practice for looking for feral pigs. for the next week and a half prior to my hunt I will probably seem a bit distant and perhaps distracted at work. I don’t care. Keen to get this gear into the field

:-)
What caliber is the drone, or does it use smart bombs?
With some programming you could mount an AR500 deflector plate on it, then just shoot at the drone and ricochet the bullet onto the target!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 03 Nov 2020, 7:21 pm

Bladeracer for the win.. hahaha
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 03 Nov 2020, 8:40 pm

I vote blade to be next president of the USA
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Nov 2020, 8:51 pm

FFS,,,,,,,,,,, You could mount an ultra light tranquilizer gun on the drone, and once found,,,,, shoot the oinkers with it.
Then,,,,,,,,,, by the time you "stalk" in they'll be easy targets that will give you plenty of chances to reload,,,,,
And fire again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again,, (get the picture? ?

:lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Nov 2020, 8:55 pm

Does my line of reasoning beat Trumpie ???????
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2020, 10:54 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Does my line of reasoning beat Trumpie ???????

It does for me :-)

Speaking of tranks, what's involved in getting one in Vic for farm use?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 04 Nov 2020, 5:57 am

I think tranks might be a typo error. But like most things , if tranks is fun it won’t be permitted anywhere
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation