What are the "barriers" re Spearguns these days ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

What are the "barriers" re Spearguns these days ?

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Nov 2020, 8:19 pm

I'm thinking that maybe a good old double rubber speargun might be just what the Doctor ordered,,,,,,,,
To help me get pigs out of dams when the mongrels roll in after being shot.

I never leave em to foul up the water,, and the one I retrieved today was a battle.

Do they have to be registered these days,, and probably need a PTA as well seeing as the word "gun" is inclusive. :sarcasm:

:unknown: :unknown: :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: What are the "barriers" re Spearguns these days ?

Post by Ziege » 07 Nov 2020, 11:18 pm

nope head down the local dive shop and buy one.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 08 Nov 2020, 5:33 am

You can buy winged tips so u don’t not need to buy the entire gun I use a stick and small ratchet strap without the ratchet
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 08 Nov 2020, 8:44 am

Just an bit of a side step. There was a programme on tele about abalone divers and some of them had power heads with either 12gauge or 357mag. I am guessing that they would have a permit for this type of set up. By the way the programme ended with one of the divers gone, taken by a shark.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 08 Nov 2020, 9:21 am

Not easy trying to operate a powrhead with your torso wrapped within the gums of a 12 foot tiger shark shaking his head around allover the place .....I feel better at the beach with water lapping at my knees
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 08 Nov 2020, 12:07 pm

having used a 410 smoky on more than a few occasions, I resorted to it being on the end of a gidgee instead of firing it direct out of a spear gun, reason? they like to come back at you. dunno how they would react without the resistance of the water so just a heads up maybe.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Nov 2020, 8:49 pm

Ziege wrote:having used a 410 smoky on more than a few occasions, I resorted to it being on the end of a gidgee instead of firing it direct out of a spear gun, reason? they like to come back at you. dunno how they would react without the resistance of the water so just a heads up maybe.

I was only intending to use a plain stainless spear with a "spronger" head,,, that would only latch in enough to be able to drag em in within reach.

In my earlier years (diving) .303 and 12g power heads were common,,,,, but seemed to drop off the favorite list after some bloke must've thought it would be fun to fire one into a jetty pylon.
It rebounded and killed him piercing him in reverse.

It's much safer using them on the end of a hand spear ( hawain sling )
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 08 Nov 2020, 9:05 pm

yes theyre volatile on a spear, but yeah back to the original query, there is no restriction on them. go for broke
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation