food for thought

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

food for thought

Post by pomemax » 09 Nov 2020, 10:41 am

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Re: food for thought

Post by Ziege » 09 Nov 2020, 10:59 am

so we will just kill every last animal that has a mutation of the virus in its species? sounds retarded. the Wu Flu is not even as bad as all the fearmongers are making it out to be.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 09 Nov 2020, 11:51 am

I think its Peta trying to kill the fur trade on the same line of thought tho what happens when rats get it ?
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 09 Nov 2020, 1:07 pm

+1 :thumbsup:

strange time's to come :shock: the great reset :lol:

was wondering if there would be any truth about the rumor from a while back that the CCP kung flu would disappear after the American election depending on which way it went :wtf: who knows :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by trekin » 10 Nov 2020, 7:24 am

pomemax wrote:I think its Peta trying to kill the fur trade on the same line of thought tho what happens when rats get it ?

Funnily enough, it wasn't too many months ago that it was an empirically proven scientific fact that the virus couldn't cross back to animals such as tigers/lions in captive breeding programs, or even for that matter your pet cats and dogs. And yet, here we are, people panicking, calls for hard border closures, full lockdowns over fears of a cross back mutation, that has not even been proven, from a high value, farmed (equals animal cruelty to some) animal.
My crystal ball tells me that by Xmas they will find cross back mutations in some or all of the following, cows, pigs, sheep,chicken etc.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Nov 2020, 7:50 am

trekin wrote:
pomemax wrote:I think its Peta trying to kill the fur trade on the same line of thought tho what happens when rats get it ?

Funnily enough, it wasn't too many months ago that it was an empirically proven scientific fact that the virus couldn't cross back to animals such as tigers/lions in captive breeding programs, or even for that matter your pet cats and dogs. And yet, here we are, people panicking, calls for hard border closures, full lockdowns over fears of a cross back mutation, that has not even been proven, from a high value, farmed (equals animal cruelty to some) animal.
My crystal ball tells me that by Xmas they will find cross back mutations in some or all of the following, cows, pigs, sheep,chicken etc.

I think you will find that it's not known to have happened in the past would be more accurate.

If that prediction comes to pass, humanity is in serious trouble. I seriously hope your wrong
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 11 Nov 2020, 3:55 am

marksman wrote:+1 :thumbsup:

strange time's to come :shock: the great reset :lol:

was wondering if there would be any truth about the rumor from a while back that the CCP kung flu would disappear after the American election depending on which way it went :wtf: who knows :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjxvNl2ybg0
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 11 Nov 2020, 4:31 am

Oldbloke wrote:
trekin wrote:

I think you will find that it's not known to have happened in the past would be more accurate.

If that prediction comes to pass, humanity is in serious trouble. I seriously hope your wrong

Conclusions from "Experimental Infection of Cattle with SARS-CoV-2"
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/12/20-3799_article
"Our findings demonstrate that under experimental conditions cattle show low susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 infection. This finding corresponds with a predicted medium susceptibility of cattle species on the basis of a computational modelling of their angiotensin-I-converting enzyme 2, the cellular receptor for SARS-CoV-2.

We inoculated 6 cattle with SARS-CoV-2; of these animals, 2 later tested positive for the virus in PCR of nasal swab samples and show specific seroconversion by RBD-ELISA. Even though the genome loads detected in animal 768 at day 3 were low, there is evidence that this animal was confronted with real viral replication. RNA residues from inoculation are only detectable shortly after inoculation; here, the day 2 nasal swab tested repeatedly PCR negative. Furthermore, other studies using the same infection dose and vaporization device also found no residual RNA on day 2. In addition, the low-level viral replication led to a slight, but detectable, serologic reaction in the applied ELISA (Figure, panel B).

In our study, we did not observe intraspecies transmission to in-contact cattle. Thus, we have no indication that cattle play any role in the human pandemic, and no reports of naturally infected bovines exist. Nevertheless, in regions with large cattle populations and high prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 infection in humans, such as the United States or countries in South America, close contact between livestock and infected animal owners or caretakers could cause anthropo-zoonotic infections of cattle, as has been already described for highly susceptible animal species such as minks, felids, and dogs. When assessing the risk for virus circulation within bovine populations, one should consider the age, husbandry practices, and underlying health conditions of the animals. Outbreak investigations might include cattle, particularly if direct contact has occurred between animals and persons infected with SARS-CoV-2. In addition to direct detection by PCR, serologic screenings with sensitive and specific ELISAs should also be taken into consideration. In this context, the wide distribution of BCoV is of special interest, especially because the presence of a preexisting coronavirus did not protect from infection with another betacoronavirus in this study. Double infections of individual animals might lead to recombination events between SARS-CoV-2 and BCoV, a phenomenon already described for other pandemic coronaviruses. A resulting chimeric virus, comprising characteristics of both viruses, could threaten human and livestock populations and should therefore be monitored.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 11 Nov 2020, 11:55 am

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales