Multi tool help

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Multi tool help

Post by deye243 » 02 Dec 2020, 4:39 pm

G'day all this is the only place I can think of to put this if it needs to be moved so be it.

my son's girlfriend wants to buy him another multi-tool over the last 3 years he has broken 4 Leatherman waves obviously they are not strong enough is there anything new or another brand on the market that is very robust he's a tradesman so yeah tools get used and used hard any help would be very much appreciated .

Cheers D
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Multi tool help

Post by LawrenceA » 02 Dec 2020, 4:57 pm

I thought Leatherman had a lifetime no questions warranty.
I would have thought they were the ultimate.

Sorry can't help but check out there warranty. It may save you
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Dec 2020, 5:04 pm

deye243 wrote:G'day all this is the only place I can think of to put this if it needs to be moved so be it.

my son's girlfriend wants to buy him another multi-tool over the last 3 years he has broken 4 Leatherman waves obviously they are not strong enough is there anything new or another brand on the market that is very robust he's a tradesman so yeah tools get used and used hard any help would be very much appreciated .

Cheers D

I've had the Skeletool on my belt for a few years now, with the two bit kits in the same sheath, very handy and compact piece of kit with allen and Torx bits.

How is he managing to break the Wave?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Dec 2020, 6:42 pm

Letherman definitely has a lifetime guarantee, send them off with proof of purchase and they come back either fixed or replaced.

Having owned more than a few, I can say with out a doubt that they are the best multi tool on the market and the only way to break one is by abuse, I've broken 2 by using excessive force.

Their great to get you out of trouble but no single tool on a multi tool is a robust as a proper tool and they should be treated accordingly, if you need to twist, wrench, cut , grab or lever something with force then the multi tool should go back into your pocket and a proper tool for the job needs to be found.

Perhaps he should be getting a pry bar and a hammer with his next multi tool :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 02 Dec 2020, 8:07 pm

the one he's just broken now is the fourth warranty he wants something he doesn't have to keep taking back .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 02 Dec 2020, 8:07 pm

I told him 6 months ago he needs a pair of vice grips and he's pocket
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 03 Dec 2020, 2:27 pm

Sounds like he needs a Harley toolkit.
A cold chisel and half a brick.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 03 Dec 2020, 3:01 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Letherman definitely has a lifetime guarantee, send them off with proof of purchase and they come back either fixed or replaced.

Having owned more than a few, I can say with out a doubt that they are the best multi tool on the market and the only way to break one is by abuse, I've broken 2 by using excessive force.

Their great to get you out of trouble but no single tool on a multi tool is a robust as a proper tool and they should be treated accordingly, if you need to twist, wrench, cut , grab or lever something with force then the multi tool should go back into your pocket and a proper tool for the job needs to be found.

Perhaps he should be getting a pry bar and a hammer with his next multi tool :thumbsup:

I agree with on_one_wheel. :thumbsup:
I too have a Letherman supertool, I have had for years and years. I have bought them for friends over the years for Christmas presents. Every body has loved them. I would recommend Letherman to people who want to buy a multi-tool.
I agree they have their place. I believe they are a useful tool to assist you hunting/fishing, doing little jobs.
I bought my young fella one and he is a tradie, and he broke it, sent it back and got a new one. NO questions asked.
Now he has realized its limitations he only uses it for appropriate little jobs.
Right tool for the right job. :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 03 Dec 2020, 4:28 pm

If he’s breaking the Wave maybe he needs to review the way he’s going about his business. Like Tiger said above I recommend a lump hammer and a dirty big flat blade screwdriver for your son.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Dec 2020, 5:33 pm

I broke my blade on a leatherman when I was pushing it slightly beyond what level of what I should have been doing
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 03 Dec 2020, 6:52 pm

My EDC is the Leatherman Wave for the last I think 7 years never had a problem with it , other than the diamond lap is not real good it used to be used to sharpen a lot of shark looks and I still use my original 30 + year old original Leatherman anyway she decided to get him the Leatherman free P4
20201203_194948.jpg
20201203_194948.jpg (78.88 KiB) Viewed 2465 times

the way the handles work on those looks a lot stronger from the pics we will just have to wait and see.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 03 Dec 2020, 6:57 pm

I brought one back from overseas, still in its packaging (blister/shrink pack) and made sure to buy one without knife blades in it, only screw drivers and so on. the border force wamen made me turf it after I openly let them know I had it, as the rules were obscure, I haven't found any legislation saying you can't bring back tools in checked luggage, fair enough if it had been carry on, but no.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by hunting99 » 03 Dec 2020, 7:50 pm

I used a leatherman wave for years was good but now I use the leatherman surge which is much more stronger and robust than the wave. Highly recommend them use it every day of the year.
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Dec 2020, 8:11 am

Victorinox makes a multi-tool that we issue to our troops.
I've had one for years and have worn it on my belt every day, ( just about ) , since I received it as a gift.
It got a considerable work-out working underground at local mine doing everything from doing up hose-clamps to cutting 40mm belting.
It is still going strong but then again I haven't tried to use it as a crowbar.
Victorinox.jpg
Victorinox.jpg (49.14 KiB) Viewed 2434 times
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 04 Dec 2020, 10:06 pm

She went with a Leatherman surge as it appears larger and I am hoping tougher cheers all.

20201203_210512.jpg
20201203_210512.jpg (92.16 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 05 Dec 2020, 12:33 pm

Some people are just not kind to their tools, no matter what. Sorry deye243 he will likely break it soon enough.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 05 Dec 2020, 8:12 pm

It's the only tool he's ever broken and he's on the tools every day .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 06 Dec 2020, 9:10 am

deye243 wrote:It's the only tool he's ever broken and he's on the tools every day .

I've had 5, Surge, Wave, Rebar, another Rebar and another Surge. That's over a 14 year period.

First surge lost during mountain biking.

Wave left on a guard of a truck.

Rebar left on a live fire range

2nd Rebar still have

2nd Surge still alive. Has had its plier jaws replaced by Leatherman under warranty as it turns out opening 44 drums with them can be a bit tough.

They're tough and versatile but they are a compromise. You are dreaming if you think a Leatherman will replace a good set of pliers. I've used mine for all kinds of odd jobs and the only major failure I've had is the plier jaws opening drums. There's a inherent weakness in the jaw material. But i should have got a proper tool for that job.

Guys i work with have tried Gerber's and the others but most roll back into Leatherman. Are they perfect no, but they're a compromise tool that's a jack of all trades but master of none.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation