Who transports firearms in Australia?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Who transports firearms in Australia?

Post by paps » 27 Mar 2014, 5:36 pm

When dealers ship a rifle for you who transports the thing?

Does Aus Post do these things?

Just curious how they get around.
.257 Roberts Ruger Hawkeye
Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14-42mm
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Who transports firearms in Australia?

Post by Chronos » 27 Mar 2014, 5:40 pm

any registered courier should do it.

Australia post no longer carry items longer than 105cm

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 27 Mar 2014, 5:44 pm

I've done a couple of interstate transfers lately and they just went with StarTrack Express.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 27 Mar 2014, 6:35 pm

Most dealers I know of will use Australia Post + Signature (the old Registered Parcel Mail) plus Insurance if you specify it. It must be no longer than 105cm.

Otherwise it goes with which ever Courier they have an account with but some do not provide any insurance against damage, some it's optional but you have to ask for it to be insured.

If you are selling a firearm in it's original box then it's most likely too long so the Courier is the only option. If the firearm is to long and you want it to go with Australia Post then the dealer will remove the stock from the action / barrel with your permission.

I purchased a firearm once and the sending dealer only sent it registered mail with no extra insurance. It got damaged in transit and I had to wear it. Make sure you stipulate what you want before it gets sent.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Weepy » 27 Mar 2014, 7:39 pm

Pretty sure couriers can just transport them as any other package.

Don't need a firearms license if they're just taking it from A to B. No playing with the parcels though ;)

It would be too impractical if everyone in the transports chain had to have a shooters license to send a rifle...
Weatherby Mark V Accumark 7mm Rem. Mag.
Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm

Browning BL-22 .22LR
Weepy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 27 Mar 2014, 8:44 pm

Weepy wrote:Pretty sure couriers can just transport them as any other package.

Don't need a firearms license if they're just taking it from A to B. No playing with the parcels though ;)

It would be too impractical if everyone in the transports chain had to have a shooters license to send a rifle...

We recently had an issue like this with the transportation of powder, the company that did most of the shipping folded, leaving a lot of gunshops unable to get the powder they needed

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 28 Mar 2014, 6:25 am

Worst case is you could ship with Australia Post but have to do the dangerous goods declaration bit.

I *think* it's $90 per parcel or something? Could be wrong, don't quote me on that.

Doesn't make you powder cheap obviously and you've have to do it in some bulk for it to be at all affordable, but at least it would solve your problem short term if it happens again.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation