In-Depth Burglary Statistics

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

In-Depth Burglary Statistics

Post by ThePlinkster » 27 Feb 2021, 8:26 pm

Hey guys

As some of you would know from my previous thread

0.2% of licensed firearm owners have their guns stolen each year in Victoria
2% of homes are victims of burglaries every year in Victoria
We are all 10x times more likely to experience a random burglary/break in than we are to experience having our rifles stolen
(Which is kind of good news I suppose)

With that in mind,
I thought I'd start a thread where we can talk about how we can secure our homes better therefore protecting our firearms better whilst also talking about some interesting statistics

- In 2015 Australia had the 5th highest rate of burglaries in the world
- In 2017, Victoria had 2.2% of its homes broken into (54,200x homes)
- In 2017, an additional 1.6% of Victorian households had an attempted break-in (39,200x homes) on top of the actual burglaries
It's a lot of homes..
- Most items stolen: cash, laptops, jewellery, cameras, phones, wallets, purses, ID's, TV's, PC's, watches

Good news is though;
Over the past decade, Australia has seen a steady reduction in home burglaries year on year.
In 2015, a study was conducted of police detainees found guilty of committing breaking and entering offences to gain their insights on the current state of burglary in Australia.

Reasons for targeting a premise
The detainees identified two main areas of focus for targeting premises,
a lack of activity around the property and the visibility/attractiveness of the property.

Lack of activity was indicated by:
- Houses that appeared vacant or unoccupied
- Rubbish bins left outside on the curb
- No lights turned on inside the house in the evening
- No vehicles parked in the driveway
- An overflowing mailbox

Visibility/attraction was ascertained by:
- Houses located in an affluent area
- Houses that had an expensive car in the driveway
- Any valuable items on display or in view either in the yard on from a door or window

Perceived mistakes from burglars
Participants were questioned on what they perceived to be mistakes that residents made that identified their homes as potential targets for burglary.
- Doors/windows left open - 70%
- Minimal security - 40%
- Easy to enter backyards - 25%
- Detectable keys - 12%
- False security systems - 8%
- Environmental design - 5%
- Skylights - 2%

Successful deterrents
The detained burglars were asked if the following factors would deter them from attempting to enter a property.
- A barking dog - 61.4%
- A working alarm system - 49.1%
- Sensor lights outside the property - 22.8%
- Lights on inside of the house - 19.3%
- Grilled windows/doors - 19%
- An unknown area - 14%
- Visibility of the property from road - 14%
- Gates - 12.3%

Most common method of entry
When asked what their most common method of entry into a property was, the respondents said the following.
- Through an unlocked door - 40%
- Breaking a door or window - 35%
- Through an unlocked window - 28%
- Picking or breaking a lock - 20%

A lack of security measures around the property is one of the first thing burglars check for when selecting a target

Some of this stuff here was common sense
Some of this stuff was interesting
Anyway, I found this information interesting hence why I thought I'd pass it on to you fellas
:thumbsup:

Source: https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/home-co ... stics.html
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: In-Depth Burglary Statistics

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Feb 2021, 10:18 pm

How about signs that say,
"This household doesn't dial 000"
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 Feb 2021, 12:10 am

I mentioned before about a bloke I know in Perth who was burgled specifically for firearms. As he doesn't store firearms at his home address he's very concerned that they are working from a list stolen from Barry's last year. They know he owns firearms, and they know his address, but they don't know that his storage address is in the country.

They came back a couple weeks ago. He works FIFO so they spent hours thoroughly searching the house, even the roof space. Again not interested in any of his other property. Again they spray-painted the cameras.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 28 Feb 2021, 5:19 am

I remember reading that.
He needs to upgrade his security. He should be getting an alert on his phone when someone enters his property or a specific part of his property. ( you don’t want alerts all the time ) but you could set it up so the only reason you’d get an alert would be theft in progress.
Nevertheless, nothing will stop a determined group like that.

Another thing worth mentioning for this thread. And i do like on one wheels signs.
But ;
You have insurance. Do not engage these people. Your only concern here is your safety and survival.
If they enter your property whilst you are home the best thing you can do is leave and hopefully avoid them. Go to a neighbours and deal with it from there.
That is your first option because its the safest option with the highest chance of survival.
Only when you don’t have that option should you consider others.

Like on one wheel i think we’ve both spent much of life in the saddle of a nice motorbike. There’s something you learn from that which carries over. Always anticipate bad people. Don’t be a statistic. Don’t make it easy for them or give them opportunities.
All the mistakes people made in op’s post which enticed thieves can be avoided if you are always vigilant.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Feb 2021, 9:31 am

We definitely learn the hard way that the police are underfunded, under resourced. Their main focus is road safety which is their main revenue stream and major crime, everything in the middle sees little attention, there's simply too much going on for them to handle.

I gave my security several upgrades recently after having my dog stolen and shed broken into.

I've taken measures to ensure my house is uninviting to criminals and including hidden trail cams around the property, coincidentally the police came to visit a few weeks back regarding a situation at the neighbours, they refused to ring the doorbell :unknown:
20210228_095307.jpg
20210228_095307.jpg (151.82 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 28 Feb 2021, 9:48 am

I reckon a sign at the front gate with a picture of a gimp mask, manacles, some chain with a collar, a cat’o nine tails and text at the bottom that says “Trespass equals your consent” would do the job.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Feb 2021, 11:07 am

:lol: perfect
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 28 Feb 2021, 1:41 pm

Back to base monitored alarm system with many cams including infrared camera with off site recordings storage cost about $560 a year
Budget direct their stats would be good for reading to raise you premiums did you read their citations one was the Guardian .

60 years ago you hardly ever knew of people invading or robbing a house unless it was like wealthy type that owned it and when the crims were caught they went on holiday might be 2 years or 5 If anyone had been hurt it was longer .

Now days it seem that a bond is all they get if that because they come from a broken home or some other type of excuse
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by womble » 28 Feb 2021, 2:51 pm

Noisydad wrote:I reckon a sign at the front gate with a picture of a gimp mask, manacles, some chain with a collar, a cat’o nine tails and text at the bottom that says “Trespass equals your consent” would do the job.

:lol:

Unless you live in Sydney. You’d likely have people queuing up at the gate. :?
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 28 Feb 2021, 3:02 pm

womble wrote:
Noisydad wrote:I reckon a sign at the front gate with a picture of a gimp mask, manacles, some chain with a collar, a cat’o nine tails and text at the bottom that says “Trespass equals your consent” would do the job.

Only certain parts of Sydney......but the conservative left would not let me advise which areas. :lol:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Feb 2021, 8:11 pm

womble wrote:

Judging by what's been in the news lately I would have thought the local LNP members would be at the front of the line.

Yes, in poor taste, but just had to say it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Patriot » 01 Mar 2021, 10:40 am

When I was kid in the 80s we didn’t even lock our doors at a night we did even have the key. We did live next door to the local crims who were s**t scared of my old man. He once threatened them if anything went missing from his place he’d know who did it. All the security he needed.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 01 Mar 2021, 11:05 am

bladeracer wrote:I mentioned before about a bloke I know in Perth who was burgled specifically for firearms. As he doesn't store firearms at his home address he's very concerned that they are working from a list stolen from Barry's last year. They know he owns firearms, and they know his address, but they don't know that his storage address is in the country.

They came back a couple weeks ago. He works FIFO so they spent hours thoroughly searching the house, even the roof space. Again not interested in any of his other property. Again they spray-painted the cameras.

Would not be surprised if gangs watch shooting ranges and track owners to their homes. Would be pretty easy to do. Most people don't pay much attention to their surroundings.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Mar 2021, 11:58 am

wanneroo wrote:
Would not be surprised if gangs watch shooting ranges and track owners to their homes. Would be pretty easy to do. Most people don't pay much attention to their surroundings.

That's been suggested before.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by snag » 01 Mar 2021, 10:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
wanneroo wrote:

That's been suggested before.

This is something we all need to keep in mind. Last year, I went to my pistol club for a shoot and parked next to a ute with a couple of blokes sitting there doing not much of anything. Thinking they were fellow shooters, I gave them a wave and went about my business. When I came out about an hour later, they were still there and when I drove out of the car park they followed me. I live in the country more than an hour away from the club and use a lot of short cuts to get to the range, but these guys stuck to me like super glue. I pulled into a service station and they did too. When I drove out, they followed me. So I decided that I haven't seen my mates in Chinchilla for a while and headed West - they gave up the chase in Toowoomba. Reported it to crimestoppers, not much else you can do. JUST BE AWARE EVERYBODY, THESE GRUBS ARE EVERYWHERE!
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 02 Mar 2021, 2:22 am

snag wrote:
This is something we all need to keep in mind. Last year, I went to my pistol club for a shoot and parked next to a ute with a couple of blokes sitting there doing not much of anything. Thinking they were fellow shooters, I gave them a wave and went about my business. When I came out about an hour later, they were still there and when I drove out of the car park they followed me. I live in the country more than an hour away from the club and use a lot of short cuts to get to the range, but these guys stuck to me like super glue. I pulled into a service station and they did too. When I drove out, they followed me. So I decided that I haven't seen my mates in Chinchilla for a while and headed West - they gave up the chase in Toowoomba. Reported it to crimestoppers, not much else you can do. JUST BE AWARE EVERYBODY, THESE GRUBS ARE EVERYWHERE!

That's fairly aggressive surveillance they were running on you, but for a lot of folks out there with their head in the clouds they might not have noticed.

One method of surveillance detection you can use if you feel you are being followed is put yourself into an area laid out like a grid pattern and do four right turns or zig zag across the grid, right, then left, right then left and so on. If people are that aggressive sticking to your bumper after that, then I'd pull into the nearest cop shop.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by trekin » 02 Mar 2021, 11:32 am

327 Setting mantraps
(1) Any person who sets or places any spring gun, mantrap, or
other engine calculated to destroy human life or to inflict
grievous bodily harm, or causes any such thing to be set or
placed, in any place with the intent that it may kill or inflict
grievous bodily harm upon a trespasser or other person
coming in contact with it, or sets or places any such thing in
any such place and in any such manner that it is likely to cause
any such result, is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to
imprisonment for 3 years.

(2) Any person who knowingly permits any such spring gun,
mantrap, or other engine, which has been set or placed by
another person in any such place and in any such manner that
it is likely to cause any such result, to continue so set or
placed in any place which is then in, or afterwards comes into,
the person’s possession or occupation, is deemed to have set
and placed the gun, trap, or engine, with the intent aforesaid.

(3) This section does not make it unlawful to set any gin or trap
such as is usually set for the purpose of destroying vermin; or
to set any spring gun, mantrap, or engine, at night in a dwelling house for the protection of the dwelling house.

At least one State should be made to bring their laws into the 21st centry, or even the 20th centry.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation