Martin Bryant

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Martin Bryant

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Mar 2021, 9:14 am

They should have hung the bastard. But good to see life isn't all beer and chips in Risdon prison.

https://www.news.com.au/national/crime/ ... fef6aebe87
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Martin Bryant

Post by wanneroo » 16 Mar 2021, 10:10 am

I'm all for the death penalty. I don't agree with this stuff of people sitting around for many decades long after they did the crime.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Farmerpete » 16 Mar 2021, 12:11 pm

wanneroo wrote:I'm all for the death penalty. I don't agree with this stuff of people sitting around for many decades long after they did the crime.

But did he do the crime?
I'm not one for conspiracy theories but when the case is looked at long and hard there's more than a few things that call into doubt him being the gunman.

Things like the fact he couldn't read yet managed to spell kitchen with a t on the floor plan he drew
The fact his state appointed defence quit and was replaced with a former police prosecutor.
The infamous "meat wagon"
The alleged sleep deprivation.
His demands of shooting left-handed when witnesses reported a right handed shooter.
The alleged 000 calls reporting gunfire before the shooting is reported to have started
The report ray Warren gave of him drinking a bottle of sambucca before DRIVING to Port arthur followed by his accuracy.
The fact there were 2 chairs and 2 glasses found in his house near the finished bottle.
The former Victorian police officer who accused 2 trg officers of the crime.
The fact the gun used was initially handed in to SA Police
The fact the government denied an inquest, what are they hiding?
These questions are enough for me to start looking at the guilty plea with a rather jaundiced eye. I'm not saying he didn't do it just saying it should be looked into further
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 16 Mar 2021, 12:18 pm

I'm glad he is alive, death is to quick for such as he. Years of mental torment is what he deserves before death frees him from prison. A friend of mine was a PO at Risdon and told us of Bryants manipulation and raping of young inmates before he was moved to maximum, such vermin should be kept alive by whatever means to suffer as long as possible. If you want to see why death is too good have a look at the prison history of Myra Hindley who appealed to the EU and The Hague to be allowed to die because "prison is an insufferable torture to me and constitutes cruel and unusual punishment", to the UK's everlasting credit they refused her leave to appeal and she continued on in a life of misery, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Mar 2021, 12:26 pm

Life in prison is too good for this kind.
A clean, fast clinical death is also too good.
There needs to be a torture section created where they wake up to electro therapy, every 20 minutes, live under a strobe light, daily water boarding sessions, subjected to ear piercing noise and fed rotting scraps.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 16 Mar 2021, 3:09 pm

I’m just really upset our taxpayer dollars fund his sweet tooth.
And it would appear he gets a lot of chocolate and goodies to gorge on all day.
I would feel better if he only received what was necessary to sustain his life.
I think it needs a petition actually. I don’t think he should be mistreated, but i don’t think we should be spoiling him by any means either.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 16 Mar 2021, 7:27 pm

Oldbloke wrote:They should have hung the bastard. But good to see life isn't all beer and chips in Risdon prison.

https://www.news.com.au/national/crime/ ... fef6aebe87

Looking at him maybe it is all Chips and chocolate.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Mar 2021, 7:50 pm

He needs to face a "Russian Roulette" style firing squad with 10 or twenty minute periods between each shot,,,,,
but have the initial aiming point at the knees, and work upwards.

That may alleviate the dull and boring type of existence he has,,,, and wipe that smile off his face.
And at the same time in the end,,,, the taxpayers don't have to pay for his continuance in the system.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Mar 2021, 9:04 pm

Yeh what's best?
Hang them or let them linger and have a sh1ty life at our expense.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 16 Mar 2021, 10:01 pm

Keep them alive, the few pennies of cost are nothing compared to the weight of years. Even that maggot Knight is feeling the effect of time. Just remove the "nice" things the bleeding hearts allow them, 23 hour lockdown, no canteen, no TV, just hard time.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Robin » 16 Mar 2021, 10:12 pm

Killing him is too easy, especially when no one knows what happens after we die, I recon he and all these Pedo's should be put on a island and have hunters pay good money to hunt them down, make them run scared for the rest of there lives.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 16 Mar 2021, 10:40 pm

If you have a dog that kills stock, you don't torture it, you shoot it - quick and painless. If you have a cat or fox preying on native animals - you don't torture it, if you are at all ethical, you kill it with as little suffering as possible. I'm not interested in revenge - that's for the families and loved ones to determine where they sit. For me, he's a waste of space and taxpayer money and I'd be comfortable if they gave him a needle that sent him to sleep for ever.
I, fortunately, didn't have any family or friends at Port Arthur but he (I refuse to mention his name) had a profound impact on how law abiding gun owners enjoy their sport and I will never forget the opportunistic way Johnny Howard jumped to take advantage of the tragedy to push his social engineering agenda.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by womble » 17 Mar 2021, 5:02 am

Apon reflection. I don’t think he should be supplied water, food or oxygen.
Anything else is fine.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 17 Mar 2021, 6:40 am

You will have to understand that the casual observer is going to read this with some level of confusion and maybe revulsion. On this forum you have threads professing his (MB) innocence and others detailing the a well articulated conspiracy that surrounds his conviction... and then on this thread, a discussion about all the violence and torture that should be brought to bare on him for his crimes.

Not that many here seem to be bothered, but please remember that while you might personally not give a damn what others think about you (and fair enough) when you pipe up with this level of venom on a public forum, readers looking to make judgement on Aussie shooters (fairly or not) could be easily mistaken that your's is a mainstream view amongst shooters. Daft I know, but this is a public forum and one that easily populates Google search results when I've been looking. Poorly chosen words recorded in public forum could loose us future allies, please consider this before you post in reply to such a controversial figure as the one in this thread.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Mar 2021, 7:59 am

Diamond Jim wrote:If you have a dog that kills stock, you don't torture it, you shoot it - quick and painless. If you have a cat or fox preying on native animals - you don't torture it, if you are at all ethical, you kill it with as little suffering as possible. I'm not interested in revenge - that's for the families and loved ones to determine where they sit. For me, he's a waste of space and taxpayer money and I'd be comfortable if they gave him a needle that sent him to sleep for ever.
I, fortunately, didn't have any family or friends at Port Arthur but he (I refuse to mention his name) had a profound impact on how law abiding gun owners enjoy their sport and I will never forget the opportunistic way Johnny Howard jumped to take advantage of the tragedy to push his social engineering agenda.

I'm in Diamond Jims corner.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 17 Mar 2021, 8:08 am

Farmerpete wrote:
wanneroo wrote:I'm all for the death penalty. I don't agree with this stuff of people sitting around for many decades long after they did the crime.

But did he do the crime?
I'm not one for conspiracy theories but when the case is looked at long and hard there's more than a few things that call into doubt him being the gunman.

Things like the fact he couldn't read yet managed to spell kitchen with a t on the floor plan he drew
The fact his state appointed defence quit and was replaced with a former police prosecutor.
His demands of shooting left-handed when witnesses reported a right handed shooter.
The alleged 000 calls reporting gunfire before the shooting is reported to have started
The report ray Warren gave of him drinking a bottle of sambucca before DRIVING to Port arthur followed by his accuracy.
The fact there were 2 chairs and 2 glasses found in his house near the finished bottle.
These questions are enough for me to start looking at the guilty plea with a rather jaundiced eye. I'm not saying he didn't do it just saying it should be looked into further

I too find it hard to believe that a nutter with the Iq of my shoe had the ability to do what he did. Conspiracy theory's aside there are some major questions as to the day and what occured.

There is no transparency from the police if you want to know anything you not allowed to see anything, not to mention the fact that everything case related has now been locked up for a further 75 years.

I'll be one of the people that says we smell something fishy.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Mar 2021, 8:48 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:
I too find it hard to believe that a nutter with the Iq of my shoe had the ability to do what he did. Conspiracy theory's aside there are some major questions as to the day and what occured.

There is no transparency from the police if you want to know anything you not allowed to see anything, not to mention the fact that everything case related has now been locked up for a further 75 years.

I'll be one of the people that says we smell something fishy.

75 years is a bloody long time and likely unprecedented.

But transparency is the key here. And could be there is a good reason. But lack of transparency is what generates the conspiracy theories.

If there really was something fishy though I would think it would be out of the box by now.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Mar 2021, 9:36 am

Farmerpete wrote:

But did he do the crime?

I'll agree with you. Along with the fact that the case will remain closed to public eyes for a long time.
Member-Deleted

Post by Bugman » 17 Mar 2021, 9:55 am

He done it and he can rot in gaol, don't care what others say.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 17 Mar 2021, 10:30 am

Whether or not MB did or didn't commit the crime, any form of open justice must be transparent.
Where is the transparency when information is buried for 75 years?
Some of you may also be aware of the Lord Cullen inquiry into the Dunblane School Massacre by Thomas Hamilton. Many "conspiracy theories" resulted from a decision to "bury" the report for 100 years.
Oh yes, Scotland has an open justice system as well !
Here is an interesting piece of journalism (yes, really) which asks the type of question that should also be posed here https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/119 ... -year-ban/
Pay particular attention to the last paragraph.
If evidence is buried, then how can anybody claim that open justice has been served, with complete transparency?
Who is hiding What?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 17 Mar 2021, 10:48 am

Bugman wrote:He done it and he can rot in gaol, don't care what others say.

Of course he did :allegedly:
Just like Arthur Allan Thomas, a NZer who was convicted of killing two people. Trouble was, he was convicted on the basis of evidence planted by NZ Police, specifically a spent cartridge case.
He later received a Royal Pardon, and awarded compensation as some (small) recompense for the destruction of his life.
Unfortunately, in this instance, it was later established that although there was sufficient evidence for prosecution of the police officers involved in planting the evidence, that did not happen. The open, adversarial, (so called) justice system had to resort to a Royal Commission of Inquiry to expose the real truth of the matter. At least, in that case, justice was served for the aggrieved party. But not to the perpetrators of the injustice!
But, to bury evidence, of whatever nature and for however long, cannot ever be called "open justice".
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 17 Mar 2021, 11:54 am

No question he did it.
The "buried evidence" is not so hard to find if you know where to look.
It's not pleasant though be warned.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 17 Mar 2021, 11:59 am

Mobile phones were in the cafe. There are recordings.
The negotiations at the guest house with him all recorded.
Wikileaks has all the police transcripts.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Mar 2021, 5:20 pm

I will add this also. I had met a guy a couple of times that was doing the horizontal tango with a sister of mine on the regular, he MAY or may not have been the cousin of Martin Bryant and he MAY or may not have been a member of an infamous club that had an interest on motorcycles... Hardly qualifications to guarantee integrity or any special knowledge, but neither do actual qualifications. He did not believe in the least that Martin did it. He stated something to the effect of "he was messed up in the head and dim, but not enough to do something like that, he didn't do it" he also made the suggestion to never trust police.
Take this as you will, just thought I'd mention it.
Member-Deleted

Post by Tubs » 17 Mar 2021, 5:33 pm

My girlfriend and I were probably the last people to stay at the Seascape Hotel on the night of the 25th of April. We had dinner with Sally and David Martin (the caretakers) who were subsequently shot and killed.

My girlfriend heard steps in the roof around midnight and was s**t scared, saying there is someone in the roof. I think this contradicts the official story that the offender wasn't there at the time. Or perhaps someone else was in the roof?

Yes, indeed many unanswered questions. If only the building was still there. It was beautiful and on a picturesque lake. Sally and David were beautiful people too.

Was very sad for myself only being 21 at the time. Here one day, gone the next. Real shock to the system I tell you.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Mar 2021, 6:05 pm

Tubs wrote:My girlfriend and I were probably the last people to stay at the Seascape Hotel on the night of the 25th of April. We had dinner with Sally and David Martin (the caretakers) who were subsequently shot and killed.

My girlfriend heard steps in the roof around midnight and was s**t scared, saying there is someone in the roof. I think this contradicts the official story that the offender wasn't there at the time. Or perhaps someone else was in the roof?

Yes, indeed many unanswered questions. If only the building was still there. It was beautiful and on a picturesque lake. Sally and David were beautiful people too.

Was very sad for myself only being 21 at the time. Here one day, gone the next. Real shock to the system I tell you.

A definite possibility that one of the tactical cops that is alleged to have done the shooting could have been hiding there.
Member-Deleted

Post by Tubs » 17 Mar 2021, 6:10 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:
Tubs wrote:My girlfriend and I were probably the last people to stay at the Seascape Hotel on the night of the 25th of April. We had dinner with Sally and David Martin (the caretakers) who were subsequently shot and killed.

A definite possibility that one of the tactical cops that is alleged to have done the shooting could have been hiding there.

Unfortunately we will never know. I do find it odd that the house was burnt down to the ground but Bryant was captured alive lol.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by womble » 17 Mar 2021, 6:11 pm

There were at least 25 wounded who lived to tell the tale. They know who shot them.
Inhisbineest is correct that it offends the survivors and those whom lost loved ones, to suggest he was’nt the shooter.

It was a very confusing day/night and theres a lot of information out there from the press at the time who were just reporting whatever secondhand rumours they could get.
We did’nt have the communications network we have today and the whole country was screaming for information.
People don’t have very good recollections under fear, stress and panic. Timelines get confused.
People could’nt register what was happenning and they were trying to make sense of it.
I can remember it dragging out all day and every news update being a new version of events.

There had been other mass shootings but the numbers from this one really shook people up. The numbers were difficult to fathom. It was an end of innocence.
The public were furious. They rallied in masses and demanded the banning of guns here.
Myself and no doubt many other shooters did’nt really look at guns the same way anymore either. The inconceivable had been conceived. It had become possible and made real.
Howard had always hated guns, really hated them considered them evil. But the NFA was bipartisan and swift.

If you really recollect the outcry from the public, including a great many who owned guns and just wanted to burn the things, wanted them gone from the house.
Then you’d realise how lucky we are to have any at all today. We were lucky to get any citizen ownership.

It’s difficult in hindsight to weigh up what is worth more. The lives that have been saved in decades following unquestionably, or the freedom we lost. Because there was a shift. It’s palpable and you can mark it to that day.

It was also morally wrong to hold all accountable in some measure for Bryants actions. That too is unquestionable.
In truth , far from the perspective todays forums will give you. There were far more gun owners than not, that agreed to the sacrifice.

Never ending conundrum
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Mar 2021, 8:07 pm

womble wrote:There were at least 25 wounded who lived to tell the tale. They know who shot them.
Inhisbineest is correct that it offends the survivors and those whom lost loved ones, to suggest he was’nt the shooter.

It was a very confusing day/night and theres a lot of information out there from the press at the time who were just reporting whatever secondhand rumours they could get.
We did’nt have the communications network we have today and the whole country was screaming for information.
People don’t have very good recollections under fear, stress and panic. Timelines get confused.
People could’nt register what was happenning and they were trying to make sense of it.
I can remember it dragging out all day and every news update being a new version of events.

There had been other mass shootings but the numbers from this one really shook people up. The numbers were difficult to fathom. It was an end of innocence.
The public were furious. They rallied in masses and demanded the banning of guns here.
Myself and no doubt many other shooters did’nt really look at guns the same way anymore either. The inconceivable had been conceived. It had become possible and made real.
Howard had always hated guns, really hated them considered them evil. But the NFA was bipartisan and swift.

If you really recollect the outcry from the public, including a great many who owned guns and just wanted to burn the things, wanted them gone from the house.
Then you’d realise how lucky we are to have any at all today. We were lucky to get any citizen ownership.

It’s difficult in hindsight to weigh up what is worth more. The lives that have been saved in decades following unquestionably, or the freedom we lost. Because there was a shift. It’s palpable and you can mark it to that day.

It was also morally wrong to hold all accountable in some measure for Bryants actions. That too is unquestionable.
In truth , far from the perspective todays forums will give you. There were far more gun owners than not, that agreed to the sacrifice.

Never ending conundrum

You seem like you have the links, are you able to link me the survivor's testimonies?
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Mar 2021, 11:33 pm

On a slightly different bent,, but more or less supporting what Bang Whizz Clack relayed as "to never trust police"

I know someone personally that had (and that is the key word "had") an extensive criminal record.
This person was in lock up one night after having been arrested in relation to the latest "criminal misbehaving"

During the night two of the (uniformed types) entered the cell alongside, and beat the living hell out of its occupant.
As it turned out the occupant was found dead in the cell in the morning.

That same day the "someone I know personally" was released unexpectedly and also told that there was no longer any criminal records.

True to what was said,,,,, the criminal records had vanished.
The up side of what happened was not wasted, and that person has never set a foot wrong since.

Police certainly do seem to have extraordinary powers when it suits them.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation