Mother Moon

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Mother Moon

Post by Tiger650 » 19 Mar 2021, 9:31 pm

We pay these weirdos.
A "Space Archaeologist" ? FFS

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-19/ ... d/13256300
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Mother Moon

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Mar 2021, 10:46 pm

Actually I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

Historically mankind has all but stuffed the earth with nearly everything we've meddled with.

Water, and Waterways
Flora and Fauna
The atmosphere itself
Spreading of diseases
The shifting and introduction of plants and animals that don't belong in particular countries/areas that become rampant problems
Toxic wastes

The list just goes on and on,,,, the more you think about it.

Every single one of us is a small part of the ongoing damage to this our planet.

So why should we have a free for all on the moon ?

Upset the moon enough by mining alone could well have catastrophic effects directly on the earth eg. tides, etc just to begin with.

The moon may well be "dead" but it has direct influences on the earth that are all natural, so why risk screwing that up as well ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Mar 2021, 11:33 pm

I also am not opposed to the general thrust of the science community to protect the moon. We really need a treaty along the lines of the Antarctic Treaty determining what activities should be allowed, Current Lunar exploitation agreements have no legal international standing.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by boingk » 20 Mar 2021, 12:25 am

Mine the hell out of it.

Damn thing is receding from us and will fly off eventually, destabilising the hell out of us in the process.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Mar 2021, 1:02 am

boingk wrote:Mine the hell out of it.

Damn thing is receding from us and will fly off eventually, destabilising the hell out of us in the process.

So why hurry it up ? :unknown: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by womble » 20 Mar 2021, 3:27 am

We’ve been there.
It’s a sh*thole.
Likewise mars apparently. What a dump.
Aim further out, preferably somewhere with oxygen for starters.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by DaveZ » 20 Mar 2021, 6:34 am

There needs to be some sort of regulation on activities for sure. Apparently with currently achievable technologies, mining on the moon is an essential part of making frequent trips to other planets. It's happening, whether we like it or not, so some sort of controls need to be put in place or it will just be a free for all.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 20 Mar 2021, 7:24 am

Die Judicii wrote:Actually I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

Historically mankind has all but stuffed the earth with nearly everything we've meddled with.

Water, and Waterways
Flora and Fauna
The atmosphere itself
Spreading of diseases
The shifting and introduction of plants and animals that don't belong in particular countries/areas that become rampant problems
Toxic wastes

The list just goes on and on,,,, the more you think about it.

Every single one of us is a small part of the ongoing damage to this our planet.

So why should we have a free for all on the moon ?

Upset the moon enough by mining alone could well have catastrophic effects directly on the earth eg. tides, etc just to begin with.

The moon may well be "dead" but it has direct influences on the earth that are all natural, so why risk screwing that up as well ?

Methinks you may have been sipping the environmentalist/SJW/progressive(?)/fantasist koolaid.
All the way down to even Quantum theory, everything that exists leaves evidence of it's existence.
It is particularly noticeable in publicly virtue signalling hypocrites, if one has the inclination to notice.
I hope the import of the saying "you can't make an omlette without breaking eggs" registers.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Mar 2021, 9:08 am

Would seem sensible that there be some sort of international agreement.
We haven't done a great job looking after the earth.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 21 Mar 2021, 12:03 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
boingk wrote:Mine the hell out of it.

So why hurry it up ? :unknown: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

You dont understand the physics involved.

Look a the rest of the planets with known moons - the moons are vastly smaller in mass and size thn their parent bodies. They are easily checked in orbit by the gravitational well of the larger body.

Our moon is likely the result of a collission not long after the Earth itself formed, billions of year ago. The resulting glob that spun off from this massive impact became the moon. It is receding from us because the Earth has insufficient gravitational pull to retain it at its current mass.

Solution?

Make the moon lighter. Any mining we do would benefit the stabilisation of its orbit. It may be objectively small but it's certainly not going to hurt.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Tiger650 » 21 Mar 2021, 1:00 pm

I reckon it is flat [same as Earth] so a shallow hole would see the miners fall out the other side.
Also not sure if green cheese is worth the trip ?
The above makes as much sense as giving "rights" to a spherical rock.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Insert random name » 21 Mar 2021, 2:36 pm

And the Chinese said they will circle back to us on that. /probably
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by boingk » 21 Mar 2021, 9:06 pm

Insert random name wrote:And the Chinese said they will circle back to us on that. /probably

Ah, the Chinese, the guys who are about to crash the world with their generational crisis.

Yaaaaayyy....
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Return to Off topic - General conversation