Mouse Plague

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Mouse Plague

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Mar 2021, 8:51 am

Gamerancher wrote:We've got them in ever increasing numbers here. Constant job baiting them around the sheds and silos. They've destroyed the barley hay I made last season. We've got a bunch of traps set in the house and it keeps us busy emptying and resetting them. Might have to try a couple of these bucket trap ideas above.

Do you get lots of hoppers as well?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Mar 2021, 8:56 am

If you're talking the winged variety, they are about at the moment. The furry variety tend to move around, sometimes we have a problem with them, sometimes not. I did have permits for culling up to 500 during the drought, we had the only water here abouts, ( all the dams were dry but I have troughs in each paddock ), so they descended on us.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Mar 2021, 9:37 am

https://youtu.be/FumW4wuqDeQ

May I suggest digging a hole and creating a solid floor and walls, sturdy so the can't chew or dig through, smooth so they can't climb out. Put a bunch of those rotating traps along at a distance to prevent them holding onto two of the beams, and then put the bait on the trap or put grain on the floor, You could put water in the bottom to drown/freeze them, or turn it into a snake pit. Otherwise they'll eventually kill each other, or the predators will come.

This is all theoretical, I've never had to do it and I don't have land to test it.
Member-Deleted

Post by JohnV » 25 Mar 2021, 10:15 am

The problem is if they come in just a moving wave of thousands a few traps and baits does little to stop them taking over your house , sheds etc. and driving you out . We were lucky at Gunnedah stockman saw it coming from a few ks away so we had time to mesh the fence around our house and some of the fences facing the onslaught but we were trapped for a few days and then one morning they were mostly gone .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by wanneroo » 25 Mar 2021, 11:49 am

JohnV wrote:The problem is if they come in just a moving wave of thousands a few traps and baits does little to stop them taking over your house , sheds etc. and driving you out . We were lucky at Gunnedah stockman saw it coming from a few ks away so we had time to mesh the fence around our house and some of the fences facing the onslaught but we were trapped for a few days and then one morning they were mostly gone .

Crazy stuff, sounds like a real horror story.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Mar 2021, 7:29 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 26 Mar 2021, 7:27 pm

wanneroo wrote:
JohnV wrote:The problem is if they come in just a moving wave of thousands a few traps and baits does little to stop them taking over your house , sheds etc. and driving you out . We were lucky at Gunnedah stockman saw it coming from a few ks away so we had time to mesh the fence around our house and some of the fences facing the onslaught but we were trapped for a few days and then one morning they were mostly gone .

Crazy stuff, sounds like a real horror story.

It was a bit scary , and I had to bring my dogs inside the wire and they were helping kill any that got through . Then at night we had to keep the dogs inside and jam hessian bags under the front and back doors . My wife had a small terrier cross dog and it was killing them real good . I have only experienced that one mouse plague but been through numerous floods and lost just about everything once in a bad flood back around 1990 . Seen a few bush fires but not been affected thank God . I hate floods but as long as you don't loose too much plant and stock you can make money from the flush of feed after floods .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Mar 2021, 8:43 pm

I was out all night last night,,,,,,,,,, and despite the massive rains and flooding we had this week, there were mice running about.
Not quite as many as previously,,,,,,,,,, but,, still there.

The little f@ckers.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Mar 2021, 8:44 pm

I was out all night last night,,,,,,,,,, and despite the massive rains and flooding we had this week, there were mice running about.
Not quite as many as previously,,,,,,,,,, but,, still there.

The little f@ckers.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation