Did you know this about JEEP

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Did you know this about JEEP

Post by disco stu » 01 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm

ZaineB wrote:
disco stu wrote:
About 8 yrs back got a new Falcon wagon as a company vehicle, traded 120.000 km later and it was loose as a goose

It's no wonder falcon are no more. I used to love them, just so tough and kept going. We bought a 2005 ba2 about 10 yrs ago, second hand. Ended up just being a heap of crap with so many little problems that never seemed to end. Was so bad I didn't have the heart to sell it on to anyone, so I recently just wrecked it out. Got more for it that way anyway, would have only sold for about $700 and given the next owner daytime nightmares

First couple batches of BA falcons had no primer, paint would come off when people leaned on the car etc. only thing good on those cars (much like holdens with chev v8's) was the engine, the barra is a formidable engine for its simplicity. but yeah both had chronic quality issues.

We had the paint issue too! Apparently some issue with blue color we had and primer adhesion. Got home from work one day and 1ft long step had peeled off. Got resprayed under recall, but the panel beater caused no end of dramas trying to screw me over on fixing the dings and I was being too nice about it. Won't make that mistake again.

Few years later the clear coat started peeling on the new paint. I suspect the painter made sure it would only last so long
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 01 Apr 2021, 6:53 pm

disco stu wrote:
ZaineB wrote:
disco stu wrote:
About 8 yrs back got a new Falcon wagon as a company vehicle, traded 120.000 km later and it was loose as a goose

It's no wonder falcon are no more. I used to love them, just so tough and kept going. We bought a 2005 ba2 about 10 yrs ago, second hand. Ended up just being a heap of crap with so many little problems that never seemed to end. Was so bad I didn't have the heart to sell it on to anyone, so I recently just wrecked it out. Got more for it that way anyway, would have only sold for about $700 and given the next owner daytime nightmares

First couple batches of BA falcons had no primer, paint would come off when people leaned on the car etc. only thing good on those cars (much like holdens with chev v8's) was the engine, the barra is a formidable engine for its simplicity. but yeah both had chronic quality issues.

We had the paint issue too! Apparently some issue with blue color we had and primer adhesion. Got home from work one day and 1ft long step had peeled off. Got resprayed under recall, but the panel beater caused no end of dramas trying to screw me over on fixing the dings and I was being too nice about it. Won't make that mistake again.

Few years later the clear coat started peeling on the new paint. I suspect the painter made sure it would only last so long

had that with a repair once, sold a car to a friend and before he took it some jerk hit it while it sat in the driveway, anyhow I still had it insured so I took it in and the repairer seemed pissed off to get the job (go figure) and no sooner had my buddy settled into owning it the clear coat started to show signs of bubbling, two weeks later the bonnet looked like bubble wrap, shameful, but the panel beater was forced to pay a different one to remedy the situation by the insurer so jokes on them in the end.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Apr 2021, 9:04 pm

ZaineB wrote:

It goes way further back than the BA Falcons.

The BA Falcons were 2002 - 2005

I knew a bloke that bought a brand new Falcon a BLUE one,,,,, in 1974 (which would equate to being an XB)
On the very first week end of owning it, he was doing a U turn on a country road and the passenger side wheel dropped over the edge into a ditch
which resulted in the front skirt getting crumpled.

I can still remember looking at where the paint had lifted,,,, with just bare metal under the blue.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 01 Apr 2021, 11:57 pm

Common with Fords here in the 80s and 90s. I can't remember what the composition of the paint was, some new fangled stuff. Anyways it just flaked off in chunks on my blue Mustang. Ended up having the whole car resprayed in Glasurit paint. Fortunately I had taken pictures of all of the damage because the following year Ford had a recall. I had to fight Ford for a few months but they ended up paying the $1500 repaint.

I wanted to buy a BA Falcon on my next trip to Australia to travel around for a month or three, maybe I should look at a BF instead.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by ZaineB » 02 Apr 2021, 12:43 am

wanneroo wrote:Common with Fords here in the 80s and 90s. I can't remember what the composition of the paint was, some new fangled stuff. Anyways it just flaked off in chunks on my blue Mustang. Ended up having the whole car resprayed in Glasurit paint. Fortunately I had taken pictures of all of the damage because the following year Ford had a recall. I had to fight Ford for a few months but they ended up paying the $1500 repaint.

I wanted to buy a BA Falcon on my next trip to Australia to travel around for a month or three, maybe I should look at a BF instead.

Probably better to get an FG or whatever the last one was, same donk and turbo but more refinement and bugs ironed out, and they look better lol.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by wrenchman » 04 Apr 2021, 2:38 am

My son has a 2006 jeep commander the thing is built like a tank and many miles but I don't have a lot of time working on keeps or buying them
Attachments
FB_IMG_1470867535053.jpg
FB_IMG_1470867535053.jpg (31.74 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JohnV » 20 Apr 2021, 12:10 pm

CVT transmissions are not capable of doing as harder work as a manuals can or even a fluid drive auto can .
Some people just flog them to hard and they fail early . I once had an auto Ford falcon fluid drive and knew it had a dickey gearbox . Nursed it along for years until a mate took it for a spin around the block and blew it up . One trip around the block is all it took with a rough driver to wreck it completely . Lucky he was a copper and got it fixed for nothing . I pity those cop cars .
Sometimes a careful driver can make any car last well .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by DaveZ » 20 Apr 2021, 5:23 pm

JohnV wrote:CVT transmissions are not capable of doing as harder work as a manuals can or even a fluid drive auto can .
Some people just flog them to hard and they fail early . I once had an auto Ford falcon fluid drive and knew it had a dickey gearbox . Nursed it along for years until a mate took it for a spin around the block and blew it up . One trip around the block is all it took with a rough driver to wreck it completely . Lucky he was a copper and got it fixed for nothing . I pity those cop cars .
Sometimes a careful driver can make any car last well .

I not long sold my 2016 CVT Corolla with 200,000kms on it, quite a few towing a loaded box trailer, and never had an transmission issues with that one. Currently have a 2019 Suzuki Ignis CVT for my commute car with around 70,000 kms on it, so far so good.

I had a BA Fairmont Ghia I bought second hand in about 2005, I put about 60,000kms on it over the next couple years and I would still rate that car as one of the best I've ever owned. Beautiful to drive and never had an issue with it. Replaced the front rotors at about 150,000 kms but I reckon they warped more from abuse than any fault of the car.

Traded that in on a new BF XR8 at the end of 07 and put 200,000kms on that over the next 4 years. Apart from being hard on driveline and suspension components, it was a good car too.

Maybe I'm just lucky.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Apr 2021, 9:44 am

Three to six months was the average lifespan of the front end of a Toyota Landcruiser ute at the mine where I worked.
Locked in 4 x 4 all day, everyday tears the C.V joints to pieces. Rebuilding those was the main job I had to do anytime I worked in the L.V workshop.
Much preferred working in the underground workshop on the boggers and drill rigs.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 21 Apr 2021, 10:03 am

mates Landcruiser has done 3 diffs crawling around the high country loaded up over the last few year, a 1980's Patrol that does the same work is unfazed. All vehicles have there weak points some just never get rectified :lol: :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Apr 2021, 12:59 pm

In reality, if a machine has moving parts, it is prone to failure.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 23 Apr 2021, 7:28 am

disco stu wrote:
Few years later the clear coat started peeling on the new paint.

A little off-topic - post was originally JEEP.
Re the clear coat problem. Considering that this seems to be a problem for almost EVERY manufacturer, I am surprised that there has never been a Class-action, worldwide for the failure off any clear coat application. No matter where the vehicle was produced; Europe, Asia, the Americas, Japan, they ALL fail.
At least my old 1998 dunny-door (450k Km, 3.8L unbreakable Buick) did not have a clear coat finish over the white paint. No blemishes and all that it suffers from is the Qld sun.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 28 May 2021, 12:57 pm

https://youtu.be/ele2IjKMsvE

Just hearing Jack's voice just makes me want to go and buy another Jeep
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 30 May 2021, 3:55 pm

mine.jpg
mine.jpg (478.02 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
jac jeep.jpg
jac jeep.jpg (332.43 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
jeep cherokee.jpg
jeep cherokee.jpg (238.52 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
I am fortunate to have a 2001 cherokee that my buddy drove till he destroyed the back diff.I was in business with him at the time so I bought him a $1500 banger from a yard and kept the jeep.I managed to replace all the parts in the diff for $100.I love this car and am keeping it forever it is a constant maintenance issue and the headlight switch has stopped working.The bonnet scoop went a lot better than I had hoped as I have a pod filter straight on the manifold poking out an inch or so.You can not gain HP from a filter but the response is much better and on a wet day like today i feel I have to keep backing off on the freeway as the car seems to want to go harder.It is running really well and the exhaust is fine at the moment.As soon as I have any issues with it I will get a $1500 custom system made that will give me a bit more and the computers are mapable so once I finish the boltons I can get it set up by a tuner.The other pile of junk is my wifes Patriot.About once a month things go wrong.Windows stop lights come on it jerks up and down the road and sounds super tinny.Chrysler cheaped out on the CJ Cherokee as they expected to have massive sales and pennies count however they are plastic and had transmission issues.I have the last metal car with an inline 6 that can be set up to run well.Sometimes I dream of a 265 hemi giving over 300HP that shoul tear the transmission out :D
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by disco stu » 30 May 2021, 5:47 pm

I'm not sure if you're trying to say how good Jeep are or how bad :D

That patriot doesn't look old, sounds some weird problems
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2021, 6:19 pm

disco stu wrote:I'm not sure if you're trying to say how good Jeep are or how bad :D

That patriot doesn't look old, sounds some weird problems

Lol. Agree.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 30 May 2021, 6:32 pm

I intend to keep my jeep till I have my license revoked by old age.The XJ Cherokee from 1984-2001 is a good platform to work off.My first one was a 1996 which I auto gassed and got 330 thousand Km and it was starting to show signs of engine wear.oil usage and down on power but I hit a kangaroo and wrote it off while it was still insured for $6800.The aluminium bumper is worth $2500 on its own and that was bent.I had a GQ Nissan ute for a while now I have one of the last XJ Cherokees made.August 2001.In October 2001 the CJ was released.Apparently the 1984 jeep Cherokee is what started the SUV craze and they sold way more units than expected.A bit like landrover were going to make 5000 units to sell to farmers as a tractor/transport to town and sold over a million units.When I first started looking if tuning options were available for the I6 chrysler I was pleased to find that over 3 million engines were made and were still being used up to 2007.The most you can get is 245BHP and that is full blown tuning that would be not practical for normal use but 220 BHP is very achievable with a well assembled engine and mild cam port polish roller rockers set up.Short story long I love my jeep and will put up with small maintenance issues.The 98-01 models had a better cylinder head and intake manifold and generated a bit more horses than the previous models.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Lsfan » 30 May 2021, 6:45 pm

duncan61 wrote:I intend to keep my jeep till I have my license revoked by old age.The XJ Cherokee from 1984-2001 is a good platform to work off.My first one was a 1996 which I auto gassed and got 330 thousand Km and it was starting to show signs of engine wear.oil usage and down on power but I hit a kangaroo and wrote it off while it was still insured for $6800.The aluminium bumper is worth $2500 on its own and that was bent.I had a GQ Nissan ute for a while now I have one of the last XJ Cherokees made.August 2001.In October 2001 the CJ was released.Apparently the 1984 jeep Cherokee is what started the SUV craze and they sold way more units than expected.A bit like landrover were going to make 5000 units to sell to farmers as a tractor/transport to town and sold over a million units.When I first started looking if tuning options were available for the I6 chrysler I was pleased to find that over 3 million engines were made and were still being used up to 2007.The most you can get is 245BHP and that is full blown tuning that would be not practical for normal use but 220 BHP is very achievable with a well assembled engine and mild cam port polish roller rockers set up.Short story long I love my jeep and will put up with small maintenance issues.The 98-01 models had a better cylinder head and intake manifold and generated a bit more horses than the previous models.

I think you should try another manufacturer. If you can be happy with your Jeep’s and the experiences you’ve had, surely you’d be over the moon with anything else.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 30 May 2021, 8:03 pm

Newer cars are like cigarette lighters when they stop you throw them out.I like something simple I can maintain myself plus my Dad gave me a 1968 VE valiant wagon for my 17th birthday when I passed my test first time in 1977 and I have a soft spot for Chrysler cars.At the time I copped a flogging for having a rust bucket valiant but at the time ford and holden cars had none of the options that Chrysler had standard.Then the charger came out and all went quiet
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 31 May 2021, 2:05 am

The old Cherokees XJs are decent off road but never seem as reliable as a Toyota or Nissan. I used them off and on for off roading for about five years until they became too old for our purposes. Interestingly the Chinese made the XJ for almost 30 years.

One of the places I am working right now we have a Patriot and yeah it's crap. We don't use it off road but to teach people how to drive a manual.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by cz515 » 01 Jun 2021, 6:08 pm

Cars are funny, Sometimes 225hp man I first thought it was kW.

My 2L milk cartoon on wheels 4 banga lancer made that stock from factory. Fully tuned with just an exhaust on a dunno made 240kw on the wheels. What was cool that due to a couple of very helpful people, with a $100 cable and $300 wideband sensor I with lots of patience, reading etc easily able to extract all that power myself.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 01 Jun 2021, 6:13 pm

An early "Cruiser or Nissan patrol with a 6BTA Cummins would be my dream car.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 01 Jun 2021, 8:05 pm

E plates duncan? pissy driving or speeding or dangerous driving?
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by duncan61 » 02 Jun 2021, 10:53 am

cz515 wrote
Cars are funny, Sometimes 225hp man I first thought it was kW.

My 2L milk cartoon on wheels 4 banga lancer made that stock from factory. Fully tuned with just an exhaust on a dunno made 240kw on the wheels. What was cool that due to a couple of very helpful people, with a $100 cable and $300 wideband sensor I with lots of patience, reading etc easily able to extract all that power myself.
cz515

I remember in the late 70s about 4 cylinder cars out performing V8s.It came true in style.Plus 200HP out of a 4.0l jeep is good
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by cz515 » 02 Jun 2021, 1:14 pm

I dunno why I never understood. That 4l was not torque or powerful. And no one ever got it to zing much. All it had going was the Jeep looked cool.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation