Did you know this about JEEP

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Did you know this about JEEP

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Mar 2021, 10:49 pm

Unless you already know,,,,,,,, this'll blow ya socks off.

I know a young woman that owns a 2010 model Jeep.
She has owned it since new.

It has had issues since new,, with warning lights etc coming on for no discernable reason, that Jeep has not been able to rectify 100 %

Just recently the woman's young daughter shut one of the front doors (slammed) and the window then refused to wind up.
Upon inspection I found the cause.
The window is raised and lowered via a fine cable which is wound on a spool not unlike a a scale model of a winch that is powered by the
electric window drive motor.
The cable had jumped off the spool and had been slightly mangled as a result.

The next day she drove it to the local Jeep dealership to book it in for repair.

Now this is the big CRUNCH that'll blow ya socks off.

>>> The receptionist lady on the front counter told her that,,,,,, "Although they were quite busy,,, they were'nt really interested in taking the job on,
because a Jeep's serviceable life is only ten years, and that this particular vehicle was already 11 years old. :wtf: :wtf: :shock: :shock:

Holey Moley,,,,,,,,,, Where do ya go after being told something like that ??? :unknown:

So the day after, she makes contact with one of the many plain ordinary mechanical repair places and asks if they could maybe fix it.

Sure,,,,, no worries they said. Bring it in and let us have a look at it.

The repair was done the day after.

The only issue was (as per usual in todays world) the whole window mechanism including the window winding motor had to be replaced as a unit.

Buyer Beware still applies ,,,,,,,, :allegedly:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Did you know this about JEEP

Post by Ziege » 27 Mar 2021, 10:58 pm

yeah jeep have been pretty average for a while now, my great uncle had a cherokee and that was a great car with the inline 6 petrol, thirsty but never skipped a beat, for a while there you couldn't buy a jeep without it spontaneously catching on fire and ruining your life, also masses of other electrical gremlins like you say never get resolved in any satisfactory manner or level. They have however made some freaking great engines and even pretty staunch drivelines, but the after sales care in australia is and always has been pathetic and many of their cheaper models still have umpteen issues, that never seem to have a factory fix.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 28 Mar 2021, 12:35 am

We used some Jeep Libertys of recent vintage in off road driver training for a few years and they were complete pieces of crap. They had a terminal fault where the jeep would put itself into some safe mode thinking it was overheating when in reality it wasn't overheating at all. Jeep had no software/firmware fix. Total PITA. In the end we put two aftermarket radiators, took out the AC unit, put on another fan, cut vents in the hood, used some fancy racing car coolant, etc and it still wasn't perfect.

Perhaps the quality has gotten better here in recent years, dunno. But I am in no rush to buy one.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Mar 2021, 12:44 am

Jeep have a very poor customer service reputation, have had for a while now.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 28 Mar 2021, 2:17 am

Jeep have a poor reputation for reliability and also customer service but certainly not alone there, easy enough to find reports re this on the 'net.
It surprises me that people will drop a substantial bundle of cash without any due diligence, including a simple analysis of resale values.
Jeeps are at least relatively cheap, Range Rover not so, a little over a year back Northbound out of Melbourne I saw an "all the bells and whistles" late Range Rover with huge shiny boat behind on the side of the Hume with a local mobile mechanic peering under the bonnet, good luck with that.
The entire rig looked near new and I reckon $400K all up, Mum and kids and Dad off on a holiday.
One can only hope he was a Barrister.
That much money would indicate an intelligent man but one with no common sense.
Maybe poor customer service is a result of the fact that a dealer knows you will never be back to buy another one ?
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Mar 2021, 4:14 am

I know someone who works for dealership that dropped Jeep about two years ago for all the above reasons. They are garbage.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 28 Mar 2021, 7:52 am

https://mumbrella.com.au/jeep-revives-i ... ems-630243

That was 2020/2019 where they came out with these ads
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Insert random name » 28 Mar 2021, 8:04 am

My sister purchased one new at around the 2010 mark and had no end of drama with it, she bit the bullet and offloaded it for something that can go from A to B then back again more than once a week. I forget all the drama she had between breakdowns and the dealer not doing their part, I know I will never ever buy a jeep unless it is a vintage ww2 type.
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bill » 28 Mar 2021, 8:46 am

My experiences with Jeep has been pretty positive. I've had 2 x JK wranglers and would happily own third.

10 years of ownership, they like to be driven great fuel economy with both the CRD and V6.

Service wise they were OK never had a reason to complain about their response d they always gave me trade prices for parts as they had to compete against aftermarket supplier, Wranglers are the most modified 4x4 in the world.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Mar 2021, 8:48 am

Some years ago, in a locally publicised event, a local bloke burned his *&^% to the ground on one of our beaches. In doing so, he hoped to demonstrate his dissatisfaction with his *&^%, which had given him nothing but trouble, from new.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 28 Mar 2021, 9:03 am

I have no experience owning a Jeep but I have a friend who had one and he eventually traded it in on a Nissan Patrol because the Jeep gave him to much trouble and very expensive to fix . Shame that such a famous brand is fading .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 28 Mar 2021, 11:41 am

Euro,american cars are all built like dirt parts are dear a sh#t and no mechanics like to work on them. The 10 year thing ive also been yold by ford big wigs and my general understanding is that is the norm.

Generally speaking most window reg bits on these are a one piece unit. Hyundai do this with the i30s you get the box and it looks like your replacing the door. Modern day cars who'd have one.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 28 Mar 2021, 11:57 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Euro,american cars are all built like dirt parts are dear a sh#t and no mechanics like to work on them. The 10 year thing ive also been yold by ford big wigs and my general understanding is that is the norm.

Generally speaking most window reg bits on these are a one piece unit. Hyundai do this with the i30s you get the box and it looks like your replacing the door. Modern day cars who'd have one.

bmw and mercedes are easier to work on than a commodore or falcon and most parts need replacing less often too.

just that most bogan grease monkeys dont have any training with them, and the guys that have are good little capitalists and profit from their hard earned knowledge which there is nothing wrong with, by comparison commodores, falcons and the likes are all garbage. the LS chev v8 being one of only a small few standouts that are exceptional for what they are.

ive never paid more for bmw parts than what I have had to for commodore parts in the past, had I been willing to see how much better bmw were than holden when I was younger I would have never owned Aussie made.

Japanese EFI engines and VVT and the likes are more complicated and expensive to fix than BMW engines with dual Vanos, same let down on euro cars are a let down on japanese and korean cars, plastic. that is universal and given its so cheap and easy to make good luck having them move away from it any time soon.

hyundais and kias are great at first but dont age well at all. if a transmission goes in an auto you throw the whole car away, and their larger engines dont have the same thermo efficiency of their smaller engines and some are known to have some pretty serious secondary vibration issues at the cost of the timing and valve train, and rod bearings.

all cars are crap at the end of the day, and even a well made car can be s**t after a useless owner/driver has been behind the wheel of it for a while.

cars all need one thing, preventative maintenance. and most need a lot of it. the exception being electrics, s**t electrics from factory are something that has to be changed pre manufacture.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Bugman » 28 Mar 2021, 12:57 pm

Was going to buy a Jeep a while back, but changed my mind that apparently the technology in them is out of date by current standards. Not my opinion but one from my brother in law who ran one of Sydney's largest road assist companies. Guess they saw a lot of broken down jeeps.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 28 Mar 2021, 4:39 pm

I was looking for a second hand wagon/awd/4x4 not long ago. As I continued to browse the currently over priced used car market, it seemed that Jeep’s were pretty well one of the cheaper options, not a great resale on them apparently. I ended up with a Subaru Outback, great car so far, for my needs anyway.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 28 Mar 2021, 4:49 pm

My wife has a jeep that is now 16 years old. Only problem has been the water pump.

My son has a Wrangled that is 7 years old and all has been good so far.

Me, I drive a jeep occasionally. Every part on it has just about been replaced. But hey, it been worked off road for over 62 years.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 28 Mar 2021, 5:03 pm

I would disagree about the Hyundai not aging well my daughter bought a second hand Hyundai xl and had it 12 years and it outlasted my New Commodore VZ that started playing up at 11 years old and I traded it on an X Trail . It was still going ok when she sold it to the wreckers because no one wanted it . Only repairs it need in 12 years was a new exhaust , water pump and some ignition parts which I can't remember exactly what . Hyundai is a good car .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Mar 2021, 9:39 pm

JohnV wrote:I would disagree about the Hyundai not aging well my daughter bought a second hand Hyundai xl and had it 12 years and it outlasted my New Commodore VZ that started playing up at 11 years old and I traded it on an X Trail . It was still going ok when she sold it to the wreckers because no one wanted it . Only repairs it need in 12 years was a new exhaust , water pump and some ignition parts which I can't remember exactly what . Hyundai is a good car .

Yep we had a Hyundai xl, first new car. 400k and on its 3rd owner a nephew ran it into a ditch. No new exhaust and never had a clutch or head off. About 14 or 15 years old too. But sadly ended up at the wrecker.

Now on our 3rd Hyundai i30 diesel. Just did a big trip. 4.8 ltrs to 100kms loaded to the eye balls. About 8 years old now. I will run this one into the ground. Currently got 200k on the clock. Again, no major repairs, just get it service every 15,000kms.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 29 Mar 2021, 12:28 am

Shootermick wrote:I was looking for a second hand wagon/awd/4x4 not long ago. As I continued to browse the currently over priced used car market, it seemed that Jeep’s were pretty well one of the cheaper options, not a great resale on them apparently. I ended up with a Subaru Outback, great car so far, for my needs anyway.

Outbacks are pretty solid cars, I've actually been to the factory in Indiana and seen them made. They have good ground clearance and will do fine for any maintained rural road.

The only weak spot is the CVT transmission on the 2009-2013. If they go bang, it's one of those factory sealed parts that has to be replaced whole and it's $6500 US$. My sisters CVT when boom around 90,000 miles and Subaru actually paid to fix it.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Ziege » 29 Mar 2021, 1:23 am

JohnV wrote:I would disagree about the Hyundai not aging well my daughter bought a second hand Hyundai xl and had it 12 years and it outlasted my New Commodore VZ that started playing up at 11 years old and I traded it on an X Trail . It was still going ok when she sold it to the wreckers because no one wanted it . Only repairs it need in 12 years was a new exhaust , water pump and some ignition parts which I can't remember exactly what . Hyundai is a good car .

not surprised with the VZ sadly, Got a ute out back that I took the LS out of, only thing that hadn't already fallen apart or died was the LS itself.

Grandmother went through 3 hyundai's two on warranty one after the warranty ran out, all same sort of issues, one threw a leg out of bed on the highway at 80kmh and scared her half to death, the other cooked itself with absolutely no warning whatsoever and the third did the same however she started to notice before it completely shat itself, however it was still a write off as new engine or gearbox from hyundai is more expensive than the car by the time its installed at the dealership.

one was a getz, one was an i20 and the other was an i30, so not like it was a small batch of the same model.

another fun part was when all the paint spontaneously came off the car (i20) in huge shards over the course of about 2 weeks as it sat in her driveway. it simply bubbled and fell off.

my sisters i30 diesel was a great little car until it hit that point that all these things seem to do where the plastics had just run out of life, vacuum leaks, oil and fluid leaks, then the rings went, and by the time she had that fixed 2000km later the turbo shat its guts out into the dump pipe, after fixing that every bit of trim started to die, yet my project car which was made in 1982 still has its original engine, paint and plastic and all its upholstery.

I like Kia and Hyundai for what they are, but lets face it, they are cheap disposable cars, I personally expect a car to live a lot longer than 10-15 years, anything less means it was made like s**t on purpose. Kia stingers are awesome to drive with their turbo v6 and so on, but am I going to kid myself that a turbo Kia is still going to be driving around in 15 years? hell no, but for a bit more I could be driving a 3.0L 6cyl turbo bmw for the next 20 with nothing more than regular servicing. and maybe then give it a birthday, all the while the kia owner would have been dissatisfied with their car long before.

Now I will admit I am a bmw fanboy, but only after seeing the light, Before that I had owned a couple fords but mostly holdens all with 8 pots firing. I challenge anyone to tell me that pre-2006ish holdens and fords arent bunky s**t. I can remember pulling up at a set of lights in my 304 powered VS and trouncing it hard only to be completely obliterated by a volvo s60. undeterred I went out and bought a more mighty V8 a VX, same thing except this time it was a little old 535i E28 bmw, after this I spent most of my time working away so only had the family wagon which I still have now (patrol) so no more tearing off from the lights for me, but low and behold the same little beemer that had passed me that day years before moved into my street (it had very noticeable paintwork) so I stroll down and scoff saying, so whats under the bonnet of this thing anyway? it was a bog standard 3.5L inline 6.

ever since then I have never looked back, and now own 3.

but yeah Japanese cars can be piles of snot too... my patrol has proven that to me many times. as have all my mate's utes and wagons, whether its Nissan, Holden, Toyota or Mitsubishi or whatever, every car manufacturer has something they are just plain useless at, and its ends up coming out of the end users hip pocket.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 29 Mar 2021, 1:25 am

wanneroo wrote:
Shootermick wrote:I was looking for a second hand wagon/awd/4x4 not long ago. As I continued to browse the currently over priced used car market, it seemed that Jeep’s were pretty well one of the cheaper options, not a great resale on them apparently. I ended up with a Subaru Outback, great car so far, for my needs anyway.

Outbacks are pretty solid cars, I've actually been to the factory in Indiana and seen them made. They have good ground clearance and will do fine for any maintained rural road.

The only weak spot is the CVT transmission on the 2009-2013. If they go bang, it's one of those factory sealed parts that has to be replaced whole and it's $6500 US$. My sisters CVT when boom around 90,000 miles and Subaru actually paid to fix it.

thats doing better than mitsubishi and honda then, they crap out regularly here (CVT) and unless still under warranty kiss your cash or car goodbye. good idea in practice, keep the car in optimum power/torque, however not fully developed I suspect.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 30 Mar 2021, 7:31 pm

Some Jeeps are just cool
Attachments
at Bornholm.jpg
at Bornholm.jpg (719.69 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bugman » 31 Mar 2021, 6:41 pm

Nice.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 31 Mar 2021, 7:23 pm

My old Jeep at Bornholm Beach in Western Australia. One of the toughest beaches to get off there is.

Ok, so it has cost a lot in parts, but hey, it's a great fishing and shooting wagon.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 31 Mar 2021, 8:02 pm

The paint fell off my wife's I-20 too but only the rear door / hatch, I left it as is, does not rust.
I have heard little good re CVT transmissions, would not touch one, better to learn from the mistakes of others.
About 8 yrs back got a new Falcon wagon as a company vehicle, traded 120.000 km later and it was loose as a goose, I had not noticed deterioration apart from auto trans hunting occasionally, stepped out of it into an MN Triton [hardly a limo] and was amazed how well the Triton drove.
Love diesels with conventional auto or manual trans, still have to be careful with the DPF issues some brands have, Toyota and VW come to mind.
Catch can and EGR resistor work well, spraying oil vapour and carbon into intercooler and intake manifold is something only the govt could come up with.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by FNQ » 31 Mar 2021, 9:27 pm

I’ve got a TJ SPORTS and it cost me ****** but it’s a cool car to play with
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 31 Mar 2021, 9:41 pm

About 8 yrs back got a new Falcon wagon as a company vehicle, traded 120.000 km later and it was loose as a goose

It's no wonder falcon are no more. I used to love them, just so tough and kept going. We bought a 2005 ba2 about 10 yrs ago, second hand. Ended up just being a heap of crap with so many little problems that never seemed to end. Was so bad I didn't have the heart to sell it on to anyone, so I recently just wrecked it out. Got more for it that way anyway, would have only sold for about $700 and given the next owner daytime nightmares
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 01 Apr 2021, 2:34 pm

disco stu wrote:
About 8 yrs back got a new Falcon wagon as a company vehicle, traded 120.000 km later and it was loose as a goose

It's no wonder falcon are no more. I used to love them, just so tough and kept going. We bought a 2005 ba2 about 10 yrs ago, second hand. Ended up just being a heap of crap with so many little problems that never seemed to end. Was so bad I didn't have the heart to sell it on to anyone, so I recently just wrecked it out. Got more for it that way anyway, would have only sold for about $700 and given the next owner daytime nightmares

First couple batches of BA falcons had no primer, paint would come off when people leaned on the car etc. only thing good on those cars (much like holdens with chev v8's) was the engine, the barra is a formidable engine for its simplicity. but yeah both had chronic quality issues.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Quirinus » 01 Apr 2021, 3:13 pm

Isn't Jeep pronounced...heap?
Quirinus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 Apr 2021, 5:49 pm

I know mechanics, technicians and general trade workers can catch a rap for not being able to fix the problem without replacing things, and yes some do it out of sheer laziness sometimes, but there are genuine reasons for the most part, i.e. the repair would not be worth the time it would cost to replace, often these things are designed in such a way that they cannot be repaired and can only be replaced (great recurring business), or if it can be fixed, often it is left in a less than desirable state that no one really wants to put a warranty on. Food for thought :). Long lasting things require forethought in the design.
Member-Deleted

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation