What the "hell" did I just do ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

What the "hell" did I just do ?

Post by Die Judicii » 13 May 2021, 8:44 pm

I'm wondering how many members have ever had a momentary lapse,, or brain fart,, and done something or bought something,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
and then thought,,,,,, "What the "hell" did I just do ?

And then start wondering why did I just do that ?
And, sometimes even ,,,,, how the "hell" am I gonna pay for it ?

:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: What the "hell" did I just do ?

Post by JimTom » 13 May 2021, 9:08 pm

Oh dear, what have you purchased mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 13 May 2021, 10:00 pm

Bought a couple of rifles on impulse, only to sell them at a later date for about half new price.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 13 May 2021, 10:07 pm

Ah DJ i think all people have at least one of those experiences in their life time i know i have
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 14 May 2021, 11:41 am

JimTom wrote:Oh dear, what have you purchased mate?

Nothing recently (that was caused by a brain fart),,,,,,,,,, but years ago I did.
I was at a mortgagee sale and bought a tractor.
In reality, I certainly didn't need a second one, and to this day I still don't know what made my finger keep jumping up at the auctioneer. :wtf:

When I was a kid, my mother made a profound statement one day. She said that if you are doing something,,,, and make a mistake,, rather than
trying to obliterate it, try and find a way of making advantage of it.

So I got the tractor home, parked it in the shed and made a point of using it just enough to keep it in good running order and condition.
A couple of years later,, I sold it for a lot more than I bought it for. :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 14 May 2021, 5:40 pm

Does getting married count?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 May 2021, 5:45 pm

Shootermick wrote:Does getting married count?

:lol: Good one. Or maybe not :thumbsdown:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 May 2021, 6:23 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I'm wondering how many members have ever had a momentary lapse,, or brain fart,, and done something or bought something,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
and then thought,,,,,, "What the "hell" did I just do ?

And then start wondering why did I just do that ?
And, sometimes even ,,,,, how the "hell" am I gonna pay for it ?

:unknown:

I did exactly that last night, I blew a weeks wages in a single purchase and was struck with instant buyers remorse.
Today I received a message from the seller
"send please me additional $30 as remote is your postal address "
Having already paid for the item and its postage I replied.

Dear Yoda
Sorry I am unable to spend any more money on postage, Please send the item or return my funds.
Kind regards
on-one-wheel

There were a few other problems with the sale such as components within were listed a not working, but messages revealed that they are missing all together, there goes my idea of repairing it with ease.

Good old fleebay, shady sellers with shifty item descriptions communicating in pidgin English

Yeah, I regularly suffer from buyers remorse, often the whole researching your item, looking for a good deal and the shopping experience is great .. then once the deal is done :oops:
For me that feeling is a measure of exactly how much I really needed it. If I'm left feeling great indefinitely It was definitely something I needed, when I get instant remorse I know I've made a stupid decision :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 15 May 2021, 8:28 am

Shootermick wrote:Does getting married count?

Nah,,,,, I think that is "a given" that everybody who walks down the aisle will end up with regrets. :lol:

That being said, I saw a bumper sticker the other day,, I just smiled and thought yeah, its an oldie,,,,, but a goodie.

"IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS, IT'LL GIVE YOU TROUBLE"
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 15 May 2021, 8:51 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
I did exactly that last night, I blew a weeks wages in a single purchase and was struck with instant buyers remorse.
Today I received a message from the seller
"send please me additional $30 as remote is your postal address "
Having already paid for the item and its postage I replied.

Dear Yoda
Sorry I am unable to spend any more money on postage, Please send the item or return my funds.
Kind regards
on-one-wheel
:

Has anyone here ever successfully got "Fleebay" to live up to the promises they make concerning "buyer protection" ?

My partner bought a little collectible vehicle a couple years ago from a private seller in Adelaide.
The wording/description included a statement saying that all rust had been cut out and repaired, and that it was mechanically A1 with nothing to spend.

In truth the motor needed in excess of $800 worth of work by a qualified mechanic to get it up to scratch,,,,,,,,
And,,,,,,, the drivers floor pan was that badly rusted that there was a piece of plywood under the carpet to stop your feet from falling through.

I bought new floor pan panels, cut the old ones out, and mig'ed the new ones in.

Good ol Fleebay refused to honor its buyer protection policies.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 15 May 2021, 9:52 am

Nowadays when I think I really want something, especially something worth a decent amount of coin, I force myself into a cooling off period before the purchase, just to make sure it is worth it.
Buyers remorse is very real here, and how often do you buy something and then find it cheaper, bigger, better etc somewhere else.?
Currently cooling off over a new premium safe, when I know one a fraction of the price will do the same job!
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 15 May 2021, 9:54 am

I won’t entertain buying anything from eBay. Spouse has been caught a few times with dodgey items. I don’t even look at it. Buying anything secondhand, even new in some cases, sight unseen off the net is fraught with fraughtness I reckon.
Last edited by JimTom on 15 May 2021, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 May 2021, 9:58 am

Die Judicii wrote:Has anyone here ever successfully got "Fleebay" to live up to the promises they make concerning "buyer protection" ?

My partner bought a little collectible vehicle a couple years ago from a private seller in Adelaide.
The wording/description included a statement saying that all rust had been cut out and repaired, and that it was mechanically A1 with nothing to spend.

In truth the motor needed in excess of $800 worth of work by a qualified mechanic to get it up to scratch,,,,,,,,
And,,,,,,, the drivers floor pan was that badly rusted that there was a piece of plywood under the carpet to stop your feet from falling through.

I bought new floor pan panels, cut the old ones out, and mig'ed the new ones in.

Good ol Fleebay refused to honor its buyer protection policies.

I have been caught out on an engine that never arrived, unfortunately Engines weren't covered by by eBay's buyer protection, I think there's a few things that aren't covered.

I have had luck with a small handful of things that never arrived.

As for my most recent purchase, the sler has cancelled the order and refunded my money... not so shady after all :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tristram » 15 May 2021, 10:09 am

Die Judicii wrote:
Has anyone here ever successfully got "Fleebay" to live up to the promises they make concerning "buyer protection" ?

Years ago I started getting calls from irate people asking where their items were. Turns out someone had stolen my identify (i.e. got my name and phone number or of the white pages) and was selling things in my name and not delivering.

eBay's suggestion on how I should manage the situation was to get the user IDs of people who call me looking for the items they purchased in good faith and then pass these on to eBay so that eBay could ban them. "Buyer protection".
Tristram
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by wanneroo » 15 May 2021, 11:47 am

I've never been too big of an impulse buyer. I just purchased a new gun a few weeks ago that I wanted when they came out around 2014 or so. And I ruminated on it for years and then recently just decided now was the time and took the cash down and bought it. The only time I would impulse buy is if I go in a gun store and I see a gun on my grail list that I always wanted and it's something that has been out of production for years.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 May 2021, 12:45 pm

Walked into a bike shop near work to get a carby slide for my Triumph Saint, rode home on tired plunger hub BSA chopper that spent months shedding oil, smoke and parts all over the highways until the big ends seized. Sucker for a shiny toy.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 15 May 2021, 10:51 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Walked into a bike shop near work to get a carby slide for my Triumph Saint, rode home on tired plunger hub BSA chopper that spent months shedding oil, smoke and parts all over the highways until the big ends seized. Sucker for a shiny toy.

At least you don't suffer from "goldfish" syndrome.
Look on the bright side,,,,,,, at least you remembered to pay for it,,, ride it home,,,, and remembered where ya live. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 16 May 2021, 11:08 am

I have ordered heaps of parts for my jeep and other stuff and have never had a problem
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation