Searching forum posts

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Searching forum posts

Post by Lovey » 11 Jun 2021, 8:56 pm

G'day all,
Despite my best efforts (my googlefu is pretty strong) I haven't been able to find this information yet.

Is there a way to only perform a search only within a specific sub-forum, rather than the entire forum? I can't find an advanced search option and I've tried using an external google search using specific search terms, but it still gives results from the entire forum. Am I missing something?

For example, I'm searching for info on 'safes' so I put this in.
"safes site:https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14" (which is the 'shooting accessories' sub forum URL).

As a newbie to the site, I don't want to upset the applecart by asking questions which have no doubt been answered hundreds of times, so I've been doing lots of searching, but trying to sift through over 10 pages of hits gets a bit old pretty quickly.

Thanks for looking,
Steve
Lovey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Searching forum posts

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Jun 2021, 9:14 pm

There are others here that are tech savvy unlike me, but,,
I would go to "Shooting equipment and accessories" and just skim through those until you see questions/posts relating to what your after.
Cheers, and welcome.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Jun 2021, 9:15 pm

Not that I'm aware of perhaps put the qn to the mods.

You can search

safes+pistol

And it will find both words. Not same, I know.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 11 Jun 2021, 9:17 pm

Throw me a PM mate, happy to answer any questions you have on safes, seeing you're in NSW like I am.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Lovey » 12 Jun 2021, 12:50 pm

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions, I appreciate it. I think that sort of 'adjustment or tweaking' in relation to site changes would be reserved for the site admin/owner, but one of the mods may have a suggestion.

boingk wrote:Throw me a PM mate, happy to answer any questions you have on safes, seeing you're in NSW like I am.

Thank you for the offer, I'll flick you a PM.

If I come up with anything re the searching, I'll post up.
Thanks again,
Steve
Lovey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jun 2021, 3:10 pm

Lovey wrote:G'day all,
Despite my best efforts (my googlefu is pretty strong) I haven't been able to find this information yet.

Is there a way to only perform a search only within a specific sub-forum, rather than the entire forum? I can't find an advanced search option and I've tried using an external google search using specific search terms, but it still gives results from the entire forum. Am I missing something?

For example, I'm searching for info on 'safes' so I put this in.
"safes site:https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14" (which is the 'shooting accessories' sub forum URL).

As a newbie to the site, I don't want to upset the applecart by asking questions which have no doubt been answered hundreds of times, so I've been doing lots of searching, but trying to sift through over 10 pages of hits gets a bit old pretty quickly.

Thanks for looking,
Steve

The forum search engine is very poor, I struggle to find my own posts.
And the recent reduction in number and size of attachments has broken many earlier posts and threads.
Just post your questions.
I like to think we're more mature than many other forums. If somebody else knows of a previous thread that helps, they can find it for you.
Better to ask than remain in the dark.

I was just now searching for a thread of my own that I want to add to.
I know the title, but that gets me nowhere.
Luckily I tried a short phrase I knew I'd mentioned and that found it for me.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lovey » 12 Jun 2021, 4:40 pm

bladeracer wrote:The forum search engine is very poor, I struggle to find my own posts.
And the recent reduction in number and size of attachments has broken many earlier posts and threads.
Just post your questions.
I like to think we're more mature than many other forums. If somebody else knows of a previous thread that helps, they can find it for you.
Better to ask than remain in the dark.

Thanks for your reply. I'm a member of a few different forums and some are a bit funny about asking questions that have probably been answered before. The usual response is 'have you looked or searched?', which tends to put a lot of newbies off.
Thanks again.
Lovey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation