BOGGED ? Nah,,,, THIS is bogged.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

BOGGED ? Nah,,,, THIS is bogged.

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Jun 2021, 8:08 pm

This pic was taken in Doomadgee,, a tiny indigenous town in FNQ.
They snapped 1" steel cables trying to pull it out, before leaving it till the dry to dig it out
101_3521 (1).JPG
101_3521 (1).JPG (742.84 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: BOGGED ? Nah,,,, THIS is bogged.

Post by bigrich » 21 Jun 2021, 8:31 pm

:lol: that's going nowhere till it dries to dig it out

that red soil sucks stuff down :roll: i was out at a big property at bollon. i didn't get bogged , but had a unusual experience . a lot of fence had been replaced , and there was this real fine talcum powder soil across where it'd been graded and the post holes dug . a sudden storm came in , rain going sideways , and i had the diesel prado all crossed up , using all my driving experience from power drifting old school v8 holdens and such . i hopped from patches of grass that cleaned the slop out of the tyres before i hit the next patch
my 120 series tojo punches well above it's weight offroad with a few basic mods . it's basically a hilux wagon, but the shorter wheelbase and rear coils means it crawls through creek crossings pretty damn good .comfy and very economical on big runs too

not too keen on getting as bogged as that grader but ..... ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Jun 2021, 8:45 pm

That machine is not just bogged in the red. The machine has become A part of the red
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 21 Jun 2021, 9:45 pm

I watched this the other day jump to about 8 min in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Eo_GvDGP-g then jump to about 28 mim
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by womble » 22 Jun 2021, 5:53 am

It hurts just looking at it,
Dynamite one end, tug boat on the other maybe.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 22 Jun 2021, 7:36 pm

My brother was with 12 Squadron Chinooks and they have a lift capacity to move the aluminium APC.No one allowed for the suction of it being stuck in the mud and when they pushed harder all the alarms went off and the Chinook ended up bent.My brother was in the back as flight crew and the Chinook was low loaded back to base and hidden out the back.Would of been a few questions asked no doubt
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by womble » 22 Jun 2021, 7:51 pm

How bent are we taking here. Like a banana shaped Chinook.
Your stories need their own thread Duncan :D
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by knowsnothin » 22 Jun 2021, 9:15 pm

leave it till the dry...

5 bucks says its not there when they go back for it.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 22 Jun 2021, 11:08 pm

Womble.I detune most of my stories as the truth would be to much.Regards the Chinook their lift capacity is what we had them for to move Field pieces around etc.I am not sure what they have now but they were a great unit.The 2 turbines at the back power a shaft to the front rotor and if it goes out of alignment alarms go off as you are bending it.I do not know if it flew again as it was peace time and the rules are different.This was in 1984 and my brother did 6 years on Chinooks as an engine /airframe
fitter when he discharged and came back west he scored a job at Ansett as the fokker friendship has the same or similar donk.The drag car guy Mcglashon tried to employ him but when he saw what they were doing he ran a mile.If Judge Judy read this she would believe it as it is to far out to make up.I was in the Army 83-86 in Townsville and would fly down socialy when I could on the daily Hercules run to Amberley where he was based.The best yarn is his version of the survival exersize at shoalwater bay where they hover low enough for him to pull the crab pots out the back.The ramp goes down and there is a harness with an electric winch so you can stand at the end of the rear ramp with the controller in your left hand and hang out vertical and hook the crabput then winch yourself back in.Would of been amusing to watch from the beach.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by womble » 23 Jun 2021, 4:07 am

I believe you :thumbsup:
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 23 Jun 2021, 4:16 am

knowsnothin wrote:leave it till the dry...

5 bucks says its not there when they go back for it.

Most of what’s above ground probably went walkabout last night
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by CT hillbilly » 23 Jun 2021, 6:10 am

At least they will still have the wheels!!!
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 23 Jun 2021, 8:40 am

Looks like from the photo I'd say take the weight of that road grader and multiply X 4. And that is the minimum.

Then you will need equipment that can pull that weight and be able to handle it.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Off topic - General conversation