Anyone want a couple of busted ribs ? Going cheap.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Anyone want a couple of busted ribs ? Going cheap.

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jun 2021, 4:29 pm

Well this'll slow me down a bit,,,,,
Yet again,,,, (within a couple of years) I've got a couple of broken ribs.
Yesterday while out bush on my own, winching logs of firewood up onto my trailer,,, I slipped and fell backwards off the mudguard and landed across
another log on the ground that was gonna be the next one to be winched up.

Snap, Snap, on my left side,,,,, and just to add insult to injury I also split my lip open on something on the way down.

Then the fun began,,, cos I had to disconnect the trailer off the front,,, then reverse up to re connect on the rear,, and to then get out of the property there were
five gates which meant getting in and out five times,,,,,,,,,,,, and then drive home.

Needless to say,,,, I never got a full trailer load,, and what I did get is still sitting in the trailer today. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Anyone want a couple of busted ribs ? Going cheap.

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jun 2021, 5:23 pm

Didn't you fracture a couple about 2 years ago?

Well, that will teach you for not having a JSA. :D At least you have a nurse at home to "nurse" you back to good health. :D

Jokes aside, sorry to hear that Ed, look after those ribs. About 6 weeks out of action I guess. Must be a real bugger.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 23 Jun 2021, 6:13 pm

I feel for you fella. That stabbing, throbbing ache that never goes away just wears you down and is exhausting beyond description.
I’m getting over a fall at work that resulted in a compression fracture of my T11 vertebrae and several flavours of damaged muscles.
I only fell half a metre. Apparently I don’t bounce anymore.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jun 2021, 6:29 pm

Noisydad wrote:I feel for you fella. That stabbing, throbbing ache that never goes away just wears you down and is exhausting beyond description.
I’m getting over a fall at work that resulted in a compression fracture of my T11 vertebrae and several flavours of damaged muscles.
I only fell half a metre. Apparently I don’t bounce anymore.

I ouch. Take care mate.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Jun 2021, 6:35 pm

Congrats DJ. U don’t have to hunt the coldest part of the year now.... in two weeks time I’ll be at st George putting around on my Honda In the cold all night and while I’m at it , questioning my sanity .... you will be in a comfortable chair sitting in front of a warm fire with a glass of red wine and your dog curled up on a mat at your feet .....that sounds so good I almost want to break my own ribs. Maybe up on the scaffold tomorrow
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Jun 2021, 7:01 pm

That sucks, so you'll be avoiding humour for a few months then as well as coughing, sneezing, deep breths, yawning, sudden movements ....
Then there's trying to find a comfortable way to sleep, sit, stand, walk move your arm... :lol:
Been there a few times, I dont envy you atm.

Hope they stitch up quickly for you.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Patriot » 23 Jun 2021, 7:12 pm

I know how you feel mate, what a bastard. I broke two ribs when I was a young bloke when they came into contact with another blokes boots at the Mingela Rodeo in the 90s
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jun 2021, 9:17 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Didn't you fracture a couple about 2 years ago?

Well, that will teach you for not having a JSA. :D At least you have a nurse at home to "nurse" you back to good health. :D

Yeah Mate, it's certainly not my 1st time.
So I will politely refute your "six weeks out of action" statement.
Gimmee 2 or 3 weeks, and I'll be out and about but avoiding stuff like swinging sledge hammers. :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jun 2021, 9:20 pm

Noisydad wrote:I only fell half a metre. Apparently I don’t bounce anymore.

Me neither Bloke.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jun 2021, 9:22 pm

Blr243 wrote:Congrats DJ. U don’t have to hunt the coldest part of the year now.... in two weeks time I’ll be at st George putting around on my Honda In the cold all night and while I’m at it , questioning my sanity .... you will be in a comfortable chair sitting in front of a warm fire with a glass of red wine and your dog curled up on a mat at your feet .....that sounds so good I almost want to break my own ribs. Maybe up on the scaffold tomorrow

:lol: :lol: Break a leg Mate,,,,
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jun 2021, 9:24 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:That sucks, so you'll be avoiding humour for a few months then as well as coughing, sneezing, deep breths, yawning, sudden movements ....
Then there's trying to find a comfortable way to sleep, sit, stand, walk move your arm... :lol:
Been there a few times, I dont envy you atm.

Hope they stitch up quickly for you.

Of all things,,,,, last night when I finally thought I was all comfy in bed,,,,, I got the hiccups,,, which wasn't pleasant.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jun 2021, 9:29 pm

Patriot wrote:I know how you feel mate, what a bastard. I broke two ribs when I was a young bloke when they came into contact with another blokes boots at the Mingela Rodeo in the 90s

Yep,,,,,, I had a few rides myself as a teenager and luckily never copped one injury.

But old hands from rodeos generally find it quicker to list the bones that they HAVEN'T broken rather than the ones they have. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Jun 2021, 10:02 pm

Hiccups :lol: sorry ... that's bloody awful.

I've had a lot of broken bones in my lifetime, I'm actually nursing a busted wrist (Unla) at the moment, its been 4 weeks and it's still painful to use at times, stopping work just wasn't an option... luckily continuing to work was.
I'm just relying on eating well and maximising sleep will help aid a speedy recovery, im avoiding alcohol and smokes... ill take a broken wrist over ribs, ribs are pretty much impossible to manage.

Do you have your back taped up ?
I've seen a workmate taped up with a big X of tape on his back to help prevent movement, he wasn't sure if it was helping much though.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Jun 2021, 1:23 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Hiccups :lol: sorry ... that's bloody awful.

Do you have your back taped up ?
I've seen a workmate taped up with a big X of tape on his back to help prevent movement, he wasn't sure if it was helping much though.

No Mate just grin and bear it.

In general they stopped the practice of taping and binding quite a long time ago cos it really does bugger all.
In fact,,, unless the fracture/s are that bad that the patient is at risk of puncturing a lung, the only real treatment is rest, time, and careful behavior.
:drinks: :thumbsup:

A general "over the counter" medication of Zinc tabs "can" aide/speed healing as long as there is no allergy involved.
But as long as you are enjoying a healthy diet,, there is no real need for added vitamins etc.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bah! » 24 Jun 2021, 3:31 pm

The sleeping in a chair gig gets old fast too, with broken ribs.

Not ribs but did my gastrocnemius awhile back and spent the 1st week in front of the telly on tramadol.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Jun 2021, 10:32 pm

bah! wrote:The sleeping in a chair gig gets old fast too, with broken ribs..

:unknown: :unknown:

Ahhh yes,, on second thoughts I guess the Tramadol may've helped ya.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jun 2021, 12:27 am

How much?
What about postage and handling? :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jun 2021, 6:24 am

I would offer to call in for an hour and split some firewood for you on my next trip away But unfortunately I’m taking the northern route via Toowoomba. U are probably not up to swinging a block splitter at the moment
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bah! » 25 Jun 2021, 8:16 am

Die Judicii wrote:
bah! wrote:The sleeping in a chair gig gets old fast too, with broken ribs..

:unknown: :unknown:

Ahhh yes,, on second thoughts I guess the Tramadol may've helped ya.

It's not bad gear if you're not supposed to move, or feel anything.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jun 2021, 10:44 am

Blr243 wrote:I would offer to call in for an hour and split some firewood for you on my next trip away U are probably not up to swinging a block splitter at the moment

Thanks Mate,,,,,,, however splitting firewood won't be a problem.
I'll get the lady onto that,,,,,, all she has to do is pull on the hydraulic levers. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation