Good old NED

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Good old NED

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Jun 2021, 1:19 pm

How many members have heard of the "CAMERON LETTER" ?

The CAMERON LETTER is an 800 or thereabouts word letter that was written by Ned Kelly and posted to Donald Cameron MLA and was
received some time in 1878

Joe Byrne also made another copy of the letter which was probably posted to the Chief Commissioner via Supt Sadlier. Unsurprisingly this letter
was never heard of again.

There are good photos of the original letter (which is in museum) to be viewed online

https://www.ironoutlaw.com/cameron-letter/
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Good old NED

Post by pomemax » 27 Jun 2021, 4:03 pm

That's a good read never heard of IT
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 27 Jun 2021, 9:54 pm

Interesting read. I've never been a big Ned Kelly fan boy or glorified him as some do, but that letter is quite enlightening and explains a lot.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 28 Jun 2021, 1:35 pm

The third word of the letter makes me think its a fraud.

"offense". In 1878 having minimal contact with Americans I would doubt Victorians would spell the word with an S instead of a C. Seeing as the letter is written to a standard that was above normal for the time. Not to mention he writes the word offence with the correct C spelling at the end of the letter. Why would he write one with an S and one with a C? Because it is a fraud.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 28 Jun 2021, 3:50 pm

Nope the Americans were there. Allready meddling :D
Californian rangers helped fight at the eureka stockade. Was’nt a win but it’s inspiration reached far. Ned grew up in those times
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Jun 2021, 6:35 pm

I've always found it interesting that so many see Ned as some kind of hero when in reality he was nothing but a murderous terrorist.
Australia has an unusual habit of glorifying criminals.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 28 Jun 2021, 6:53 pm

Because this is awesome.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Jun 2021, 6:55 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:The third word of the letter makes me think its a fraud.

"offense". In 1878 having minimal contact with Americans I would doubt Victorians would spell the word with an S instead of a C. Seeing as the letter is written to a standard that was above normal for the time. Not to mention he writes the word offence with the correct C spelling at the end of the letter. Why would he write one with an S and one with a C? Because it is a fraud.

Maybe he had run out of white out and couldn’t correct it

Unlike you to make a CP out of any old thing isn’t it Commy Pigeon :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Jun 2021, 7:18 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I've always found it interesting that so many see Ned as some kind of hero when in reality he was nothing but a murderous terrorist.
Australia has an unusual habit of glorifying criminals.

He also was officially given an award for saving a kid from drowning, which is somewhat at odds to being a "murderous terrorist"

One can't go past the simple fact that in the day,,,,,, the Gang also enjoyed benefits from quite a few ordinary land owners and citizens.
If he/they were nothing but murderous terrorists,, they would have been rounded up and caught quick smart, and have no help or backing of any sort.

The way I see it,,, they plainly showed the cops of the day how incompetent the constabulary were and they then resorted to some trumped up charges, and apparently bare faced lying, not to mention being terrorists themselves (in the way they treated the women and children of the Kelly family)
Just look at the sheer number of police that were stacked against them in the end,,, that's gotta stand for something.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation