2nd hand gear and what value it should hold.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

2nd hand gear and what value it should hold.

Post by LJC » 09 Jul 2021, 1:16 pm

What is peoples takes on the value of things like firearms, optics, bipods, etc etc.. and how it seems to hold value when up for sale on any of the used sites.

Don't get me wrong, there is what looks like plenty of good deals around and if you are happy buying used kit then you are probably used to sifting and have a good deal of patience.

But anecdotally for myself it feels like a lot of gear in this shooting world seems to be thought of to hold its value really well.

Am I off the mark? Does this gear hold value well? Do people see the opposite?

Tar
LJC
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: 2nd hand gear and what value it should hold.

Post by deye243 » 09 Jul 2021, 1:34 pm

As far as I'm concerned if I'm selling or buying the price of used gear is solely down to its condition . if its as new price should be close to new but if it's been beat up and around the block several times half price or less .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2021, 2:12 pm

It has to be cheap enough that I'm not going to spend a bit more and buy it new. If it's $1000 new I'm not going to pay $750 for secondhand, even if it's "like new".

On the other hand, if it's something I want, and it's not available elsewhere, I might pay more than the new price just to have it.

Electronics I won't pay more than half of new price, regardless of condition. This includes electronic scopes, like NV and thermal. Electronics have a shelf life, they do wear out.

Optics are between the two, but closer to electronics for me. Until you have it on your rifle and see what it's like it's just a gamble.

But, if I'm buying something I already own and like, then I might pay more as the gamble is reduced to just unseen damage.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 09 Jul 2021, 4:11 pm

Yes condition is everything. I must admit, if I am looking for 2nd hand items, I do as much research as I can and in the end, I end up buying the item new, if I can.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jul 2021, 7:11 pm

Well, this does my head in. IMO if it's used it's worth less and the older the less it's worth.
Way back in about 1978 I paid $135 for a new marlin 336 in 30.30. ( my first center fire) My mate got the Winchester for $115, if I recall correctly.

Last time I looked asking price for a "fair" 336 was say about 5 or $600. Utterly crazy.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 09 Jul 2021, 7:41 pm

The prices I've seen asked for second hand rifles have often been crazy. I bought my Howa 1500 cheaper brand new than I've seen them advertised for second hand. Maybe the better deals sell quickly and I just miss out on them, but I looked for second hand for ages.

I generally work on paying around half for second hand, give or take based on condition, overall price, age etc etc. If I'm buying second hand I'm looking for a bargain in general.

I don't like having to bargain down greatly for things. If someone is asking more than I'm willing to pay I just pass on by as a general rule. I will bargain if I have to, but usually if someone is asking to much I don't bother.

Looks like I'm similar to most others who have posted here as far as prices
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Jul 2021, 7:46 pm

Depends what it is, a used Ferrari F40 is worth heaps and a used Nikko Sterling is worth next to nothing.

I see quality optics hold their value quite well.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2021, 7:57 pm

I'm the same, I don't haggle prices.
I'm happy to pay a fair price, and if I don't think it's fair I don't bother annoying the seller. He has decided how much he's willing to let it go for, which is his prerogative. I think some people price something high simply because they really don't want to part with it.

disco stu wrote:The prices I've seen asked for second hand rifles have often been crazy. I bought my Howa 1500 cheaper brand new than I've seen them advertised for second hand. Maybe the better deals sell quickly and I just miss out on them, but I looked for second hand for ages.

I generally work on paying around half for second hand, give or take based on condition, overall price, age etc etc. If I'm buying second hand I'm looking for a bargain in general.

I don't like having to bargain down greatly for things. If someone is asking more than I'm willing to pay I just pass on by as a general rule. I will bargain if I have to, but usually if someone is asking to much I don't bother.

Looks like I'm similar to most others who have posted here as far as prices
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LJC » 09 Jul 2021, 11:07 pm

Thought I might of been on a bit of island here, but sounds like a few of you are generally of the same wave length.

I'm not big on haggling generally either. But I do often like to open with what would be my best price if it is
something I want but is priced out of reach for me, and an open invite to ignore it or follow up down the line if they are so inclined.
LJC
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by boingk » 10 Jul 2021, 1:48 am

Yeah, nothing wrong with a good haggle mate. I do it all the time. Be polite and take 'no' for an answer, thats about the only rules. I generally try and work out freight into the deal where applicable - 'Would you take $700? No? What about $775 freighted? Righteo, lets work out payment.'

Again, it's all on condition and what the item is. I won't buy a used optic unless it's pristine or has an 'unconditional lifetime' type guarantee, or I can see it and use it beforehand.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by ZaineB » 10 Jul 2021, 2:46 am

to me 2nd hand rifles aren't worth squat in relation to their new value, you have 0 idea how many shots its had through it, or its conditions whilst owned by someone else. I only have 3 guns that are pre-owned, two are shotguns one is a rifle, however when buying the rifle I did know its history and it had been owned by its previous owner less than a week (their license revoked), likewise my old man bought a franchi 410 and Brno #1 22, and a model 70 223 all second hand, but again he knew the owner, and were only sold due to a VRO taken out against the owner.

scopes are a huge risk 2nd hand they could have been dropped, poorly repaired or any other issue, so no thanks I always buy new and enjoy a warranty, if you can buy 2nd hand with a manufacturer warranty then worth a go I spose.

other gear depends, mags and so on can get damaged too, same with muzzle brakes and the likes.

I see most things at half their original value at best and other things less than a quarter of their original value.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Lsfan » 10 Jul 2021, 6:22 am

I agree with most comments here. In many cases an item is being sold interstate so that adds another element of risk if you can’t inspect or sample before buying. I’ve also noticed people asking more than new prices for used rifles.
The thing that annoys me most, is people that say like new for products that are marked or worse.
Like new means like new!
Another thing i see is people advertising rifles or other sitting on concrete without any protection. What’s the likelihood of a timber stock being unmarked? I know I’m fussy but FFS!
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 10 Jul 2021, 1:10 pm

I hate haggling too. Or people offering to trade. When I was selling my xr6 turbo ute I had so many tyre kickers asking what I wanted for it or if I wanted to trade it for a used hilux or some bloody thing. The price is advertised, you know what I want for it so don't ask me.

Pay me the fiat currency value I ask for or don't bother contacting me.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Jul 2021, 1:17 pm

As already said, condition is everything.

Near new or even new prices can be asked especially if there's a supply shortage, long waiting times and a high demand.

Personally I don't like the thought of not having a warranty and generally won't pay more than ½ price on second hand goods.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 10 Jul 2021, 2:55 pm

I have bought second hand from A gun shop (Parker-Hale -243 ) a few years ago nice gun price was ok at the time I thought .
But it needs a new barrel so the price goes up would I buy it now knowing what I do NO .
scopes are a real NO NO optics of any kind to much can go wrong and will
Somethings you just have to get 2 nd hand how many people have a 303 or 2 in the safe.
I dont like haggling if at say a gun show I send in the Minister of war and finances she's good at that ( Sicilian ) got a gun safe that way at the show they were 1400 at the time she got it for 850 delivered (spika Sch2) I dont know how I was just told Pay the guy.
Condition is a big problem when buying 2nd hand what seller think's is "like new " I may think is "Like Trashed" its subjective .
The adverts on say usedguns that go paid ,x $ for the gun ,XX for the scope, XXX the STOCK/CHASSIS So the price for the second hand Rig is 5-6 x when in fact it still a x priced gun with the crap shot out of it even when they say only fire 20 odd round to sight it in at the range.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 11 Jul 2021, 11:14 pm

pomemax wrote: The adverts on say usedguns that go paid ,x $ for the gun ,XX for the scope, XXX the STOCK/CHASSIS So the price for the second hand Rig is 5-6 x when in fact it still a x priced gun with the crap shot out of it even when they say only fire 20 odd round to sight it in at the range.

Bingo.

"Mate I'm not buying that stuff, I'm buying the gun. If you want to, feel free to take that stuff off. Either way, highest I'll go is X."

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by pomemax » 12 Jul 2021, 1:08 am

boingk wrote:
pomemax wrote: The adverts on say usedguns that go paid ,x $ for the gun ,XX for the scope, XXX the STOCK/CHASSIS So the price for the second hand Rig is 5-6 x when in fact it still a x priced gun with the crap shot out of it even when they say only fire 20 odd round to sight it in at the range.

Bingo.

"Mate I'm not buying that stuff, I'm buying the gun. If you want to, feel free to take that stuff off. Either way, highest I'll go is X."

- boingk

Yes my thought exactly
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jul 2021, 4:15 pm

LJC wrote:What is peoples takes on the value of things like firearms, optics, bipods, etc etc.. and how it seems to hold value when up for sale on any of the used sites.

Don't get me wrong, there is what looks like plenty of good deals around and if you are happy buying used kit then you are probably used to sifting and have a good deal of patience.

But anecdotally for myself it feels like a lot of gear in this shooting world seems to be thought of to hold its value really well.

Am I off the mark? Does this gear hold value well? Do people see the opposite?

Tar

Well put simply, it depends to a very large degree on what you buy, the make, the model, and of course the condition and availability.
I did some homework just the other day on a particular firearm that I bought two years ago.

Technically it was secondhand, but appeared to have never been fired. (backed by a well known gunsmith)
It is a top shelf brand and model,, and now nigh on impossible to find in "excellent condition"
I did a ring around of the major gun shops in Australia, and not one of them had one in stock in "as new /excellent condition.

They are also extremely hard to find at the moment is USA due to their popularity and demand.

From some of the major Australian dealers I was given quotes on a "IF WE HAD ONE" basis that averaged,, over $4,000
Considering my purchase price two years ago was only $2,000 I think I have done very well. :thumbsup:

I guess the other major point is,,,,,,,, Supply and Demand.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jul 2021, 7:13 pm

Just for interest sake I had a quick flick through some old "Outdoors" magazines.

I found an advert for NEW "from government stores",, No.1 Mk. 3 Army .303 rifles listed for sale at 7pound / 10 shillings each.
Listed in a 1961 issue.

What would a new one of these cost now ?
:D
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jul 2021, 7:17 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Just for interest sake I had a quick flick through some old "Outdoors" magazines.

I found an advert for NEW "from government stores",, No.1 Mk. 3 Army .303 rifles listed for sale at 7pound / 10 shillings each.
Listed in a 1961 issue.

What would a new one of these cost now ?
:D

I picked up a 1966 Sporting Shooter earlier this year, some prices are in old school and decimal.
I'll have a look when I'm down the house later.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jul 2021, 8:16 pm

July, 1966 Sporting Shooter.
Jungle Carbine No5Mk1 in 7.7x54mm or .303 (only property owners or Qld) $35.
Or $55 in .25/.303 or .270/.303.
Ruger 10/22 $78 new.
.303 SMLE $17.00 (only property owners or Qld)
Winchester 9422M $72.
Winchester Model94 .30-30 $84.
Remington Nylon66 $39.
.30 M1 US Carbine new $79.50.
Bentley 12ga. 5 shot pump $85.
Winchester model 70 $147 or £73/10/0.
Kahles 3-9X scope $84.
Nikko 4x40 or 6x40 $25.

Super Simplex turret press $29.95 or £14/19/6.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation