Latest landline - pigshooting

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Latest landline - pigshooting

Post by bah! » 18 Jul 2021, 8:09 pm

So latest landline for pig shooting on thermal on KI!
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Latest landline - pigshooting

Post by Bill » 18 Jul 2021, 8:17 pm

Yeah was a good watch, small island and with the Bush fires clearing alot of timber it made sense to go after em.

Seems a pretty popular technique these days to use the thermals out of a Heli to do all the mapping of Game locations. :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by safeshot » 18 Jul 2021, 9:30 pm

I make a point of sending my best wishes to any chanel/station that reports well on what shooters can do. :thumbsup:
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Jul 2021, 9:27 am

Interesting program. One of the Head Honchos stated that it was not so good for recreational hunters (RH). Much better for farmers, however. The inference being, that RH were not nearly as good at controlling the pigs, as the thermal imaging and pro hunter combined.
So: is it good for shooters? Well; at least they did not bag us but I can hear the antis saying that the pro shooter is different and the rest of us don't need our sport. We/I don't give a hoot about what gun haters think. And so it goes on. :problem: :(
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 19 Jul 2021, 11:13 pm

I didn’t actually see the show myself but I would agree that if you aren’t looking towards using thermal, you’re going to get left behind.
Some may say that’s a bold statement, but plenty of RH are using it these days and numbers/success aren’t comparable to days of torches and old school.
Property owners are always looking for efficiency and that’s just one of the benefits thermal represents.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 20 Jul 2021, 9:59 am

Good bit of journalism. I have tried using thermal imaging for pigs and goats on a mates property, about 4 years back. It was a real eye opener, but to utilise the benefits of this type of gear, to the end result (a kill ) takes patience and skill, of which I was a bit lacking in both until a local pro shooter allowed me to go out with him for a day and night, and did I learn a lot, you bet. He returned the next evening, and went out on his own, with very good results. As he told me, you have got to do your homework and thermal imaging is a great asset when used and applied correctly.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jul 2021, 6:10 pm

Agreed bugman, no point having spent thousands on thermal , if u have a rattling tailgate, and the wind blowing against your back
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation