Losing your Firearms License (Anecdotes)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Losing your Firearms License (Anecdotes)

Post by ThePlinkster » 01 Oct 2021, 3:42 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Here it is as a jpeg

Resized_tempFileForShare_20211001-095909_208364430574265.jpeg

Personally I would immediately contact someone like NSC or Shooters Union.
Also request an extension of time.

Have heard this has been happening for a while, even DVA card holders. Problem is that if your Dr is an anti you are likely to lose your licence. Never let cops know you have a disability card.

Good luck

I know of someone who's firearms license was in jeopardy because she got cancer
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 01 Oct 2021, 8:27 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Personally I would immediately contact someone like NSC or Shooters Union.
Also request an extension of time.

Why contact them, they have zero say in granting an extension. The letter tells them what to do to get more time.

It's also not a good indicator that the person disregard the first letter.

I don't see anything wrong with what Police are doing, if they claim a concession due to being disabled, the Police have the right and an expectation to know that disability isn't a mental health problem or to investigate whether the reason you claim to want to hold a licence is ilgitament.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 02 Oct 2021, 8:11 am

The first thing i got from the letter is, looks like there was a first letter that wasn't actioned upon.

On one hand I see there is now a cost for the LFO to prove they are sane, and with the pandemic the psychologist are backlogged. And for someone who doesn't have lots of money this is unnecessary expense they don't need.

The letter mentioned going to a doctor in the first place and tbh atleast the wording appears reasonably...but who knows the intention of the faceless burocrats behind the scene

But on the other hand I can also see how certain disabilities could make a person unsafe/unfit to hold a firearm. I won't want to be at a range or go hunting with someone with mental health issues or a stroke.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Oct 2021, 1:25 pm

We need a list of doctors that are pro shooting.

I would mind betting most fall into the anti firearm crowd.

No decent pro shooting doctor would cover for someone if they truly believed their patient was a threat to society but given the chance, most anti firearm doctors would have our licences removed in a heartbeat.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2021, 2:04 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:We need a list of doctors that are pro shooting.

No decent pro shooting doctor would cover for someone if they truly believed their patient was a threat to society but given the chance, most anti firearm doctors would have our licences removed in a heartbeat.

100% correct.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 02 Oct 2021, 3:29 pm

My doctor is ex South African and was an active hunter over there. I struggle to get him to check me medically. All he usually wants to hear about is my most recent trip lol.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Oct 2021, 3:50 pm

Peter988 wrote:

My doctor is ex South African and was an active hunter over there. I struggle to get him to check me medically. All he usually wants to hear about is my most recent trip lol.

I wonder about the legalities, forum administrators feelings and individual doctor's consent on starting a state by state, pro shooting doctor listing?
It could be worth investigating.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2021, 4:07 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Peter988 wrote:

I wonder about the legalities, forum administrators feelings and individual doctor's consent on starting a state by state, pro shooting doctor listing?

You can ask. What about recommendations in general, like LGS and Smith's.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Oct 2021, 4:49 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
Peter988 wrote:

You can ask. What about recommendations in general, like LGS and Smith's.

Good idea OB
Looking at it from that angle ("general recommendations")
In the absence of calling the health practitioners "pro-fitearm" I doubt anyone would have any issue with it.
It could take some time to gather a state by state list however even just one or two in each state would be a great start.
I know If I needed a clearance from a GP relating to firearms, I'd definitely be willing to travel in order to get a properly balanced opinion.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Patriot » 03 Oct 2021, 9:21 am

I think being medically fit is a requirement for many licences. It makes sense.
Last edited by Patriot on 03 Oct 2021, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Oct 2021, 9:26 am

Patriot wrote:I think be medically fit is a requirement for many licences. It makes sense.

Yes, correct, for me the question is:
Is the requirement being administered fairly and on medical grounds. As mentioned earlier, many Drs would be anti's.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SPRINT-GTO » 06 Oct 2021, 9:49 pm

Bit of good news, the guy who received the letter from FAR was able to transfer from a DSP onto an Aged Pension & has since contacted FAR & has been given the OK to renew his firearms license---go figger???
The guy who FAR forced to outlay $ 1040 to consult a Psychologist & undergo drug & alcohol testing has now received a photo advice letter from FAR so he can proceed to obtain his firearms license.
Good news all round!!
SPRINT-GTO
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation