Looking back to 55 years ago.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Looking back to 55 years ago.

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Aug 2021, 7:27 pm

Downunder wrote:Life without the whinger and social justice warrior platforms, I can remember when I was a child 50 odd years ago dad parking along side the old Ringwood rail station and waking with a rifle in one hand and me in the other a good 5 to 600 Mt back to Melbourne Firearms (which incidentally I believe is still in the same little brick building, I stand to be corrected as it’s been probably 35 years since I’ve been to Ringwood.

At almost the precise same time/era my late brother was on a tram in Melbourne,, complete with his .303 in a leather bag.
No-one even seemed to notice, let alone worry.
With the exception of one bloke (older) who leaned forward in his seat and tapped my brother on the shoulder and asked,,,,,,,,,,,,

"What caliber is it son" ???
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by ThePlinkster » 03 Aug 2021, 8:17 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Downunder wrote:Life without the whinger and social justice warrior platforms, I can remember when I was a child 50 odd years ago dad parking along side the old Ringwood rail station and waking with a rifle in one hand and me in the other a good 5 to 600 Mt back to Melbourne Firearms (which incidentally I believe is still in the same little brick building, I stand to be corrected as it’s been probably 35 years since I’ve been to Ringwood.

At almost the precise same time/era my late brother was on a tram in Melbourne,, complete with his .303 in a leather bag.
With the exception of one bloke (older) who leaned forward in his seat and tapped my brother on the shoulder and asked,,,,,,,,,,,,

That's a great story
If only Australia was still like that today
- massive sigh -
:cry:
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Aug 2021, 9:15 pm

ThePlinkster wrote:That's a great story
- massive sigh -

Double Double sigh,, :( :(

Well here's another,,,,, this time of my own personal experience.

As a school kid a mate and I were scratching around in the foundations and what was left of an old stone walled building.
We found an old Winchester pump action .22 rf that had been cut down into a pistol.
The metal stock bracket had been curved downward to form a crude pistol grip, there was just enough of the tube magazine left to grab and cycle it.
The barrel had been cut back to 7" and a dove tail had been cut crosswise to fit the foresight blade.
It could only be used as a single shot.
The serial number was only 4 numbers.

It had been wrapped in grease and (I think tar paper by memory) and buried under one of the stones.

Surprisingly, we got it cleaned up, and it worked fine the way it was.
Being in secondary high school, I took it to school and showed it to my metal works teacher.
I asked him if he could help me thread the barrel.
No worries he said,,,,,, and after stripping it down to bare minimum we managed to get it in the lathe.
He then talked me through the steps of turning a 1/2" UNF thread on it,,,,,, which accepted the silencer that I had at the time. (was legal then)

Oh for the good old simple days again. :drinks:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Aug 2021, 9:44 pm

Hilarious, love it .....
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by ThePlinkster » 04 Aug 2021, 6:04 am

Die Judicii wrote:
- massive sigh -

As a school kid a mate and I were scratching around in the foundations and what was left of an old stone walled building.
We found an old Winchester pump action .22 rf that had been cut down into a pistol.
The metal stock bracket had been curved downward to form a crude pistol grip, there was just enough of the tube magazine left to grab and cycle it.
The barrel had been cut back to 7" and a dove tail had been cut crosswise to fit the foresight blade.

It had been wrapped in grease and (I think tar paper by memory) and buried under one of the stones.

Being in secondary high school, I took it to school and showed it to my metal works teacher.
No worries he said,,,,,, and after stripping it down to bare minimum we managed to get it in the lathe.
He then talked me through the steps of turning a 1/2" UNF thread on it,,,,,, which accepted the silencer that I had at the time. (was legal then)

I wonder why the western world became so incredibly sensitive the more time went by
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 05 Aug 2021, 5:36 am

Die Judicii wrote:

I have a good mate who became a mate later on life and told me of carrying a Lee Enfield 3O on the trams to cadets as a kid, he lived in Melbourne. The only condition was it had to have the bolt removed.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 05 Aug 2021, 5:47 am

ThePlinkster wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:
- massive sigh -

I wonder why the western world became so incredibly sensitive the more time went by

Power....

When governments sort to control and not serve they removed and assumed the rights we had to protect, defend and act for ourselves then promoted fear to influence the weak minded and lazy to follow them.

I count myself as very fortunate to be the last generation that saw and experienced many freedoms that simply don’t exist today, I wouldn’t want to be a young male today holding my ethics, values and course truths filter.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 05 Aug 2021, 4:42 pm

Lsfan wrote:Quite nostalgic to see all that stuff. It was marketed very differently back then. How big would your safe need to be if those prices were current?

In those days you never needed a safe.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 05 Aug 2021, 4:48 pm

I remember when my dad was earning $500 a week at his job and we were considered bill gates rich. Multiple cars in the driveway, colour TV, holidays every year, boats, motorbikes. To live like that these days you would need 2 or 3 grand a week.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 05 Aug 2021, 4:56 pm

Ahhhh 1966. When was conscription bought back? Was it 1964 or 1965? Is anyone here old enough to have been conscripted around this time? Or friends, brothers, cousins etc.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation