Statistics

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Statistics

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 11 Aug 2021, 1:09 pm

I love a good statistic, something about numbers fascinates me. In 2019 169301 deaths were registered in Australia with the median age being 78.8 years for males and 84.8 years for females. Whilst at the same time 305832 babies were born. So it just basically shows that every death whilst tragic to the immediate family is insignificant to the numbers because each death is replaced by a factor of nearly two.

Old mate Stalin said it best "One death is a tragedy, a million deaths a statistic."

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/peopl ... st-release

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/peopl ... st-release

Another 6 weeks until the 2020 figures are released.

Sorry for being morbid. :sarcasm: :violin:
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Statistics

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2021, 2:58 pm

That's ok.
2019, about 3100 deaths from a fall. Only 5 or 6 deaths from firearm accidents.
Fair few suicides though.

About 250 accidental drownings.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 11 Aug 2021, 4:29 pm

Why do men die before their wives ? Because they want to
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Aug 2021, 4:29 pm

Why do men die before their wives ? Because they want to
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Aug 2021, 6:33 pm

Here's a good statistic

Studying the consumption of icecream from country to country around the world, Statistically speaking,
Country's who consume little to no icecream are 99% more likely to suffer a long term famine than Country's that consume large amounts of icecream.

Eat up guys, icecream is saving you from starvation.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 11 Aug 2021, 6:56 pm

Doctor said no.
So now my wife buys Greek yoghurt and i f*cking hate it.
I hate my life.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 11 Aug 2021, 7:05 pm

Eat up mate, you only live once.

Statistics tell me people who eat healthy have a 100% of death. Same as those that enjoy life. So why
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 11 Aug 2021, 7:18 pm

Another good stat-cheese consumption rates correlates with the amount of people who died through entanglement with bed sheets. Spurious correlations is an entertaining site
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Sarco » 11 Aug 2021, 10:53 pm

Wasn't it Mark Twain that commented "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

So many use selective statistics to support their case and reject others ideas.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 12 Aug 2021, 8:30 am

I have to admit though, I'm surprised by the birth to death ratio. I didn't think it would be so much higher
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 12 Aug 2021, 10:16 am

Yes it really put things in perspective. When I see on the news that 1 person dies for whatever reason it really is numerically insignificant as 450 die every day without any mention.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Downunder » 12 Aug 2021, 6:44 pm

Add immigration into the population growth and it’s easy to see that the lack of infrastructure investment Is going to impact us in a few years far more than we can imagine......
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 12 Aug 2021, 8:03 pm

Downunder wrote:Add immigration into the population growth and it’s easy to see that the lack of infrastructure investment Is going to impact us in a few years far more than we can imagine......

depenging on your tolerance levels, if like me, you are already impacted lol
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by womble » 13 Aug 2021, 4:07 am

Downunder wrote:Add immigration into the population growth and it’s easy to see that the lack of infrastructure investment Is going to impact us in a few years far more than we can imagine......

Well that’s some seriously backwards logic haha.
Roughly one third of our population at any given time are immigrants and mostly of working age. Welcome to Australia. Since like colonisation.
Infrastructure investment. I’m lucky if i only work 60 hours a week. Nearly everyone i know is in the same boat. And that’s during lockdowns. Go down to Melbourne.
https://constructionglobal.com/construction-projects/big-build-fuels-victorias-construction-boom

Or if you’re too dainty for that sort of work, Human Resources and services can’t keep up with demand.
Last edited by womble on 13 Aug 2021, 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 13 Aug 2021, 4:15 am

womble wrote:

Well that’s some seriously backwards logic haha.
Roughly one third of our population at any given time are immigrants and mostly of working age. Welcome to Australia. Since like colonisation.
Infrastructure investment. I’m lucky if i only work 60 hours a week. Nearly everyone i know is in the same boat.
https://constructionglobal.com/construction-projects/big-build-fuels-victorias-construction-boom

Your use of a reactive links as an rebuttal to compounding issue is deflective at best.

The current “booms” are little more than economic stimulus’s and have little impact in addresses the compounding infrastructure issues in this country the most obvious being transport.

Feel free to impart more of your progressive logic on me though.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Aug 2021, 4:23 am

How is it deflective when it’s the topic you queried.
And then endorsed with acknowledgement of the boom.
Oh that’s right you hate progress.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 13 Aug 2021, 7:40 am

Transport well that's never going be fixed, not sure how you can bridge 1100km gap between Sydney and Melbourne or the 3700km between Melbourne and Darwin. Or that Melbourne's suburbs are spread over 100+km diameter... and our love of big house and backyards.

When you have concentrated populations and high number of people to service it's easy to develop transport. We all talk about Japan well they have 5 times the population as us, squeezed in an area that is 20 times smaller. Or Singapore has similar population as Melbourne in an area 1/10 of Melbourne. Apart from peak times our public transport run nearly empty, the roads are nearly empty.

I have to give it though, people are still worried about immigration, esp considering the borders have been shut nearly 2 years now. No immigration is happening... heck even Australians are having hard time getting back in... but house prices are still jumping up in record numbers......go figure

Here are some facts from 2019 census, 1m people from uk, 720k people from India. China is actually lower than India and are number 3. Since 2015 the Indians have been growing like rabbits and we worry about Chinese.
Last edited by cz515 on 13 Aug 2021, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 13 Aug 2021, 7:41 am

womble wrote:How is it deflective when it’s the topic you queried.
And then endorsed with acknowledgement of the boom.
Oh that’s right you hate progress.

I didn’t query anything kid, I simply made a statement based on real world observations, forecasts and data.
You’re the one sealioning with questions, you’ve got an agenda, congratulations.....

It’s a long bow to draw calling any governments feeble attempts to address years of neglect a boom but you seem to like the word so we’ll stick with it..... the flawed economy model of growth based on population expansion and there’s a disaster of epic proportions on the horizon, you don’t have to believe me, I don’t care if you don’t, just sit and wait....

You’re one of those ones....that disingenuously misrepresents others views in your comments, I’m not at all against progress and I don’t hate anything, I am against and have a dislike for ignorant agenda driven people though.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 13 Aug 2021, 7:55 am

It's a boom because they are spending in 5 years, what they should have been spending over the last 40 years.

But it's a boom.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 13 Aug 2021, 8:15 am

cz515 wrote:Transport well that's never going be fixed, not sure how you can bridge 1100km gap between Sydney and Melbourne or the 3700km between Melbourne and Darwin. Or that Melbourne's suburbs are spread over 100+km diameter... and our love of big house and backyards. When you have concentrated populations it's easy to develop transport.

I have to give it though, people are still worried about immigration, esp considering the borders have been shut nearly 2 years now. No immigration is happening... heck even Australians are having hard time getting back in... but house prices are still jumping up in record numbers......go figure

Here are some facts from 2019 census, 1m people from uk, 720k people from India. China is actually lower than India and are number 3. Since 2015 the Indians have been growing like rabbits and we worry about Chinese.

You’ve validated the issues, simply population growth has exceeded development and investment and will continue to do so.

You seem to be mixing up immigration with global influence, people I know aren’t scrutinising the Chinese as immigrants their scrutinising them due to the ever expanding Global influence and control they have on politics, manufacturing, supply and investment.

Just out of curiosity have you seen the Victorian governments forecast on population increase to 2056, it effectively doubles from 6.5m with double the immigration as to natural increase.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 13 Aug 2021, 8:22 am

No they were two seperate points... hence the extra line space.

I argue that with proper planning increase in population is not just a good thing, but an extremely important thing for the future of Australia

I could give you a few reasons why that is important, which you are not going to believe. So ill just say successive governments, economists all agree and support immigration. And not just Australia but other countries do it as well 0
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 13 Aug 2021, 8:58 am

cz515 wrote:It's a boom because they are spending in 5 years, what they should have been spending over the last 40 years.

But it's a boom.

As I said describe as you like, you think their catching up for the past 40 years? Thats an an interesting opinion. Do you base that on investment or infrastructure built?
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 13 Aug 2021, 9:07 am

cz515 wrote:No they were two seperate points... hence the extra line space.

I argue that with proper planning increase in population is not just a good thing, but an extremely important thing for the future of Australia

I could give you a few reasons why that is important, which you are not going to believe. So ill just say successive governments, economists all agree and support immigration. And not just Australia but other countries do it as well 0

Not sure what you’re getting at about the line space, my first paragraph was in reply to your first and my second paragraph to your second......

Growth is extremely important when you’ve have a unsustainable economic model without it.

I’ve never been a advocate of we do things because others say we should or other countries do it etc.
Groupthink is a one of the biggest issues we face as humans both historically and into the future.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 13 Aug 2021, 1:29 pm

The flip side is an older saying that there is no point in reinventing the wheel.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 13 Aug 2021, 3:43 pm

Down under

What war your previous name, your argumentative tone sounds very familiar
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 13 Aug 2021, 4:58 pm

cz515 wrote:The flip side is an older saying that there is no point in reinventing the wheel.

That isn’t very progressive.....
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 13 Aug 2021, 5:02 pm

cz515 wrote:Down under

What war your previous name, your argumentative tone sounds very familiar

Don’t have a previous name, joined 8weeks odd ago.
It’s interesting people have raised similar points with you before, but I assure there’s only one of me.

Oh, and if you think this is arguing then your very mistaken.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 14 Aug 2021, 9:57 am

This discussion has taken an interesting turn.
It was before my time but on conclusion of WWII and even earlier the concept of 'populate or perish' was a widely held view.
I recall seeing some years ago newsreel footage from that era of Arthur Caldwell (Laber foreign minister at the time) that they were even going to allow the immigration of foreigners. Nevertheless old ingrained predispositions remain in a significant part of the population.
As for why infrastructure is now booming. There is only one real reason. Not only are the 'right people' getting the contracts to build it but also, and more importantly, the 'right people' are getting the tailing profits.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Downunder » 14 Aug 2021, 11:10 am

straightshooter wrote:This discussion has taken an interesting turn.
It was before my time but on conclusion of WWII and even earlier the concept of 'populate or perish' was a widely held view.
I recall seeing some years ago newsreel footage from that era of Arthur Caldwell (Laber foreign minister at the time) that they were even going to allow the immigration of foreigners. Nevertheless old ingrained predispositions remain in a significant part of the population.
As for why infrastructure is now booming. There is only one real reason. Not only are the 'right people' getting the contracts to build it but also, and more importantly, the 'right people' are getting the tailing profits.

Today’s immigration is far different from that the preceded world 2 and post Vietnam war in a number of aspects and for a number of reasons, the scrutiny towards population growth today centres around sustainability and integration, it’s arguable we are actually a multicultural nation, for the most part we’re a nation of competing cultures.

Today’s “boom” is a direct result of governments further embracing debt, foreign ownership and investment and loving fiat economics.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 14 Aug 2021, 2:44 pm

straightshooter wrote:This discussion has taken an interesting turn.

Haha. Eloquent and subtle as ever. And yes exactly
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation