Yellow Tounge flooring

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Yellow Tounge flooring

Post by duddley75 » 23 Aug 2021, 11:43 am

So I need to resurface the floor of my work shed as it is currently using decking type boards with gaps.

It is not exposed to weather given it is inside a shed.

The problem is that the ground has shifted over the years and has a slope in the floor (as in the whole shed has sunk a little). I want to level the floor the easiest way nd though I will use some timber under the length of the yellow lounge to bring it back to level.

The floor size is 3350mm x 1800mm.

My thought is to have the timbers every 450mm under the yellow tongue in decreasing sizes for the levelling. Does it need to be any closer?
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Yellow Tounge flooring

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2021, 2:51 pm

duddley75 wrote:So I need to resurface the floor of my work shed as it is currently using decking type boards with gaps.

It is not exposed to weather given it is inside a shed.

The problem is that the ground has shifted over the years and has a slope in the floor (as in the whole shed has sunk a little). I want to level the floor the easiest way nd though I will use some timber under the length of the yellow lounge to bring it back to level.

The floor size is 3350mm x 1800mm.

My thought is to have the timbers every 450mm under the yellow tongue in decreasing sizes for the levelling. Does it need to be any closer?

If you're only walking on it then 450mm centers is fine. If you're likely to be moving heavy point loads, like jacking up a vehicle, using an engine hoist, or moving a lathe then you might want to double the Yellow Tongue and decrease the joist centers.

I built my office in a shed out of YT, floor, walls and ceiling. The door is double-thickness YT, very solid.
Last edited by bladeracer on 23 Aug 2021, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Aug 2021, 3:56 pm

450 mm is the general standard everywhere for habitable areas , foot traffic, not suitable if massive fight breaks out between buffalo rhino or bison
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Aug 2021, 3:57 pm

I was actually preparing some joists this afternoon, laying flooring tomorrow. Not looking fwd to it. Flooring is boring
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2021, 4:07 pm

Blr243 wrote:I was actually preparing some joists this afternoon, laying flooring tomorrow. Not looking fwd to it. Flooring is boring

I don't mind laying T&G boards, but you get paid a lot more money for that :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 23 Aug 2021, 4:33 pm

Thanks all.

No cars, but I do have a heavy tool chest (on wheels), guessing about 120 - 150kg, (thinking about it - that is only 2 medium weight people). This will be near the base (ie the current high points) almost no timber

Setting up welding table and other workshed material etc.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2021, 4:52 pm

duddley75 wrote:Thanks all.

No cars, but I do have a heavy tool chest (on wheels), guessing about 120 - 150kg, (thinking about it - that is only 2 medium weight people). This will be near the base (ie the current high points) almost no timber

Setting up welding table and other workshed material etc.

It's not the weight that matters, is the pressure. If it has narrow hard wheels, with a footprint of about a half-inch, you have 150kg per square inch at the four corners. Compared to a 100kg person standing on one leg with a footprint of about 33 square inches, or only 3kg per square-inch. With lathes and such put pieces of steel plate under the feet to spread the load.

I would expect your tool chest will be fine on standard YT on 450mm centres, as it's not too different to a fat bloke rolling around on a four-wheel chair, I'd have to do the calculations to be certain though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 24 Aug 2021, 12:29 pm

I am going to rethink my plan. I measured today, it is a 140mm (yes 14cm) drop from one side of shed to the other. This is over only 1800mm width.

It is alot of height to loose and the door frame is on the low side.

Think I will need to raise the shed side again, back to the drawing board.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Aug 2021, 1:29 pm

duddley75 wrote:I am going to rethink my plan. I measured today, it is a 140mm (yes 14cm) drop from one side of shed to the other. This is over only 1800mm width.

That's a hell of a slope, half a degree more than the Tower of Piza!
Can you pull the floor up and lay a new one?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 24 Aug 2021, 1:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:
duddley75 wrote:I am going to rethink my plan. I measured today, it is a 140mm (yes 14cm) drop from one side of shed to the other. This is over only 1800mm width.

That's a hell of a slope, half a degree more than the Tower of Piza!
Can you pull the floor up and lay a new one?

I think that is what I might need to do. Not looking forward to it though. There is a snake that lives under the shed. :shock:
It is still cold but they are starting to wake up around the areas I have noticed.

Also been researching, jacking up the side of the shed and putting concrete blocks under it to level it out.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Aug 2021, 3:50 pm

Holy Hell Batman,,,,,, get the hell out of there,,,,,,, before the main sinkhole opens up.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Aug 2021, 5:00 pm

Buy a skate board and build another shed .lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Aug 2021, 7:46 pm

Seriously,,,,, i'm guessing the shed is of timber construction.
If so,,,,, ? termites.
if so,,,,,, they will eat everything except the yellow t&g,,,, so make sure it is level when you install it,,
or,
Go and see your lawyer (he'll take you off at the knees) and then hook up with a dwarf, and live happily ever after.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by duddley75 » 25 Aug 2021, 11:32 am

So it appears the original construction is fully supported on bricks on the northern wall, whereas the southern wall has one (most likely two - second I can't see) metal stirrups into concrete in the ground. These look like they have sunken into the ground given the slope.

My plan is to remove some of the internal flooring and using two supported bottle jacks to raise the southern end so that I can establish some sort of new foundations.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Aug 2021, 1:43 pm

duddley75 wrote:So it appears the original construction is fully supported on bricks on the northern wall, whereas the southern wall has one (most likely two - second I can't see) metal stirrups into concrete in the ground. These look like they have sunken into the ground given the slope.

My plan is to remove some of the internal flooring and using two supported bottle jacks to raise the southern end so that I can establish some sort of new foundations.

No reason that shouldn't work just fine.
I raised part of the floor in a church in the same way, the church dude wanted to be up higher than the people, so we put a step or two in. Not much room under there to work in!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 26 Aug 2021, 10:11 am

I'd love to come round and give you a hand
but can't travel more than 5 km :lol:

Seems like you will have a busy weekend
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 26 Aug 2021, 10:24 am

Bello wrote:I'd love to come round and give you a hand
but can't travel more than 5 km :lol:

Seems like you will have a busy weekend

Cheers thanks.

Just ordered all the supplies, delivery tomorrow.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 28 Aug 2021, 6:26 pm

With the help of two x 3 tonne bottle jacks and the Mrs on one side and me on the other, the shed is now level again.

Concreted new footings with some new bearers and all is good again.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation