Firearm literacy

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Firearm literacy

Post by Larry » 29 Aug 2021, 9:55 pm

The Indonesians have a larger and newer airforce than us. I do know of the "Old Plans" that we have had as I was in the DOD for a while and read the white papers. Those moved a large proportion of our forces to the North at the time. The US may come to our aid. I dont have a very rosy outlook for the US however so I dont really factor them in. IMO they could be the next big SHTF place, they are tracking in the steps of some other empires that have crashed and burned.
Like I said if Australia had some of its infrastructure taken out the nation would have to dedicate so much of its resources to fixing or restoring those it would be a huge distraction.
Every Military asset has a estimated service life under active duty. You would be surprised how short some of those numbers are. An example our Frigates have a expected life span of two minutes in battle.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 30 Aug 2021, 5:09 am

Yeah well, you’re entitled to your opinions Larry, I prefer to be a optimist myself. I’m aware of the risks to our nation that you mention, but I believe China’s conquest will be more covert and involve financial control rather than military. At least in the immediate future
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 30 Aug 2021, 8:27 am

The biggest problem is munitions. The Australian federal government does not even have 12 hours of munitions for all out scale combat. So any hypothetical invading army only has to suffer a momentary setback but eventually will overrun our small army and whatever reservists could be mustered. In Queensland if its under 1 inch in caliber then all you need is a firearms licence and you can buy it and as much of it as your wallet will allow. So I would dare say that civilians have a greater supply of munitions on hand than the fed. A few cases of shotgun shells and a few cases of centrefire in various calibres and it is not hard to have over 10000 rounds. Then add in some rimfire and you can easily have over 20000 rounds. Then add in pistols and the number could be anything. Shooting pistols 3 times a week and you could easily shoot over 5000 rounds a week.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bah! » 30 Aug 2021, 9:24 am

boingk wrote:People mistake China's movements for bar-room aggression, but in actual fact they're the last desperate struggles of a drowning man.

I think you're mixing up the USA and China.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Aug 2021, 3:41 pm

Just thought this might be of interest.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-30/ ... /100417140

Not sure how that works if it's urgent
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Aug 2021, 3:47 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Adzy » 30 Aug 2021, 6:49 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:The biggest problem is munitions. The Australian federal government does not even have 12 hours of munitions for all out scale combat. So any hypothetical invading army only has to suffer a momentary setback but eventually will overrun our small army and whatever reservists could be mustered. In Queensland if its under 1 inch in caliber then all you need is a firearms licence and you can buy it and as much of it as your wallet will allow. So I would dare say that civilians have a greater supply of munitions on hand than the fed. A few cases of shotgun shells and a few cases of centrefire in various calibres and it is not hard to have over 10000 rounds. Then add in some rimfire and you can easily have over 20000 rounds. Then add in pistols and the number could be anything. Shooting pistols 3 times a week and you could easily shoot over 5000 rounds a week.

Hmm , how would you know what Munitions Australia has in its stores. ? You would be surprised what the Australian Army has and the quantities, I won’t divulge anything about it but will say , have a little faith my friends.
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Pudlux » 01 Sep 2021, 8:05 pm

Well said Adzy.
I am surprised at the lack of understanding of the ADF's and their allies capabilities with regard to how campaigns are conducted. China is largely a conscript force that uses size and bluff as a force multiplier. Their ability to project force against the eastern seaboard or supply logistics across our continent from their start point is problematic especially if our friendly forces and neighbours are providing a screen or early warning/interdiction. I would be prepared to say that once we work our way through their special forces and carrier fleet, the rest will be Who Flung Dung!
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Sep 2021, 9:07 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:The biggest problem is munitions. The Australian federal government does not even have 12 hours of munitions for all out scale combat. So any hypothetical invading army only has to suffer a momentary setback but eventually will overrun our small army and whatever reservists could be mustered. In Queensland if its under 1 inch in caliber then all you need is a firearms licence and you can buy it and as much of it as your wallet will allow. So I would dare say that civilians have a greater supply of munitions on hand than the fed. A few cases of shotgun shells and a few cases of centrefire in various calibres and it is not hard to have over 10000 rounds. Then add in some rimfire and you can easily have over 20000 rounds. Then add in pistols and the number could be anything. Shooting pistols 3 times a week and you could easily shoot over 5000 rounds a week.

I wouldn't be too concerned about running out of ammo, well be out of fuel long before that happens.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Adzy » 02 Sep 2021, 6:55 pm

Yes fuel is the major problem I would be concerned about, Australia is a “ long way away “ from China . They can rattle their sabres all they like but reality soon makes foolishness of any crazy actions they would take.
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 02 Sep 2021, 7:03 pm

Adzy wrote:Yes fuel is the major problem I would be concerned about, Australia is a “ long way away “ from China . They can rattle their sabres all they like but reality soon makes foolishness of any crazy actions they would take.

thank god :D somebody who isn't ready to run up a white flag against threats from a foreign aggressor cause of the number of their troops and hardware . as i've said previous , if i can see this sort of stuff , i doubt the strategists for our military can't . and there's more going on in our military than i think some people realize :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pilotsignal » 04 Sep 2021, 12:26 am

If China decides to simply secure their property and protect their citizens here they would have a pretty good reason to invade without war. Just station troops of 1M+. You think this is not possible? Look what Russians did in Crimea and Georgia. Don't be naive guys. UN will debate and express empty concerns for decades.
Anyway, I hope this will never happens. But if it does, I'd rather see our population ready and able to fight for our country.
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 05 Sep 2021, 12:22 pm

If you are going to talk seriously about Australia and defense capabilities, we missed the boat in the 40's and 50's. along with our allies we should have leapt forward in becoming nuclear armed and capable, this is and was the only deterrent that would and will keep someone like China at bay.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2021, 1:01 pm

ZaineB wrote:If you are going to talk seriously about Australia and defense capabilities, we missed the boat in the 40's and 50's. along with our allies we should have leapt forward in becoming nuclear armed and capable, this is and was the only deterrent that would and will keep someone like China at bay.

Strongly agree.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pudlux » 05 Sep 2021, 8:38 pm

Ah, yes and no. I think we all agree that we should be nuclear capable, and that includes power etc. The reality of offensive action is how to combat counter action. Let's say good ol CCP let's rip at Australia or any strategic country, they would be mercy of our allies retaliation and they know it. Only got to look at Sth China sea today - UK, France, US, AS, NZ, Singapore, India etc all calling the bluff. Doesn't mean we shouldn't have a plan B though!
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation