Firearm literacy

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Firearm literacy

Post by pilotsignal » 28 Aug 2021, 12:28 am

Just a thought to share with fellow shooters at this late hour.
It is quite strange to me that our government makes for us so hard not only to obtain the firearm licence but also to keep it.
I understand that guns should not be widely available for everyone and it has to be some kind of mechanism to control who owns them.
But, think about our male population (or may be even female) who largely is absolutely unfamiliar with the guns. I hope this will never happen but, imagine if we need to defend our country form the external enemies. This may sounds implausible for some, but how much possible it would seem, say 5 years ago that our country will be divided with closed boarders, army on our streets and curfews? And here we are, today.
What, if tomorrow we are invaded? 99% of our population will not be able to defend our country left alone protect our own homes. We are basically defenseless in this new world.
On the other hand, all regimes around the globe train their population with firearms even at schools. Should we do the same?
Should we make every Aussie man ready and able to fight and protect our land, our homes and our families, if necessary?
The more people is be able to legally obtain and possess firearms the better we all will be of.
This is my opinion, BTW. :D
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Firearm literacy

Post by deye243 » 28 Aug 2021, 1:29 am

Well we have no military to speak of it is what they want. far as I'm concerned they are just sitting back waiting for the takeover and us pawns are just going to be labour for them when they get here .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 28 Aug 2021, 4:29 am

Population of China 1,444,216,107
Population of Aus. 25,839,176

We could all be armed to the teeth and skilled up to Chuck Norris. Might buy us another 20 minutes or so.

I’m joking of course. Would’nt buy us anything.
We will have allready surrendered as the highly preferable option. By the time mr chinaman has his boots on the ground and knocking at your front door. Feel free to resist. Probably just get your house and everyone it microwaved or something.
I don’t see mr chinaman on the ground if he’s determined the local population to be a threat though. Probably opt to sterilise the place first remotely with drones and God only knows what else AI clean up bots.
Clay target shotgun is probably your best investment skill set. When you can knock out a swarm of clays moving at much higher speeds than your average clay thrower, with far less predictable trajectories. Then you are ready for the fight.

I don’t see it happening in the immediate future though. ATM they are just studying us, learning everything, getting it into digital format.
When AI catches up to mechanical design, which it will. Then theres nothing on earth, no army it can’t defeat. It will be far more intelligent than humans. And as such it will be self aware and fully autonomous. All they have to do is insert the ccp chip. Game over.
Nuclear weapons, obsolete. Will be more of a risk than a deterrent.
That’s the arms race today. Who will get there first. Current contenders are only china vs japan.
But for certain, our tiny bogan brains won’t be any match for it.

But what the hell, arm us all to the teeth anyway. I’m all for it :thumbsup:
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 28 Aug 2021, 7:00 am

What if we have no teeth? Could it be said, we should be armed to the gums? Does not have the same impact. Me thinks I will get some teeth and then get some more guns.
Good points made in the previous posts, though.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 28 Aug 2021, 7:34 am

womble wrote:Population of China 1,444,216,107

We could all be armed to the teeth and skilled up to Chuck Norris. Might buy us another 20 minutes or so.

I’m joking of course. Would’nt buy us anything.
We will have allready surrendered as the highly preferable option. By the time mr chinaman has his boots on the ground and knocking at your front door. Feel free to resist. Probably just get your house and everyone it microwaved or something.
I don’t see mr chinaman on the ground if he’s determined the local population to be a threat though. Probably opt to sterilise the place first remotely with drones and God only knows what else AI clean up bots.
Clay target shotgun is probably your best investment skill set. When you can knock out a swarm of clays moving at much higher speeds than your average clay thrower, with far less predictable trajectories. Then you are ready for the fight.

I don’t see it happening in the immediate future though. ATM they are just studying us, learning everything, getting it into digital format.
When AI catches up to mechanical design, which it will. Then theres nothing on earth, no army it can’t defeat. It will be far more intelligent than humans. And as such it will be self aware and fully autonomous. All they have to do is insert the ccp chip. Game over.
Nuclear weapons, obsolete. Will be more of a risk than a deterrent.
That’s the arms race today. Who will get there first. Current contenders are only china vs japan.
But for certain, our tiny bogan brains won’t be any match for it.

But what the hell, arm us all to the teeth anyway. I’m all for it :thumbsup:

good points and i'm of the same opinion as to where modern warfare is heading . if you haven't seen it , there is a movie called "screamers" with the lead played by peter weller of the original robocop movie . it's set on another planet where a mining company and the workers union are at war . autonomas drones of varying design are used against human forces , with simple edged weapons . very effective and cheaper to make than something that needs ammo supply . even the flying "hunter killer" drones from the terminator movies aren't far fetched anymore .

i don't think our military is as benign as some would imagine . sco-mo's ramped things up in the budget , american military presence is on the rise, and we're reforming working with britain not to mention closer military ties with japan and india . the world is waking up to china , and numerous observers have made the comparison to the rise of nazi germany . it's not whether we can win against china , it's how much of a mauling we can give them going down fighting that's a deterent . afghanistan has bested some of the worlds biggest empires, it's whether or not we as a nation have the mental fortitude to see it through . to think outside the box, the russians have been awfully quite of late ......... ;)

with regards to firearm training the public , well we used to have this thing called national service. but most young ones these days would whine about their freedoms being trampled and "having the right to choose" . we have the cadets in some of our schools , but lefty's would love to shut that down .

israel has compulsory national service cause they won't ever forget the nazi's :unknown:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 28 Aug 2021, 7:48 am

etc....

Good job of misdirection there. An excellent demonstration of the relentless and enduring power of propaganda over clear thinking.
The reality is Australia only has one serious potential aggressor.
One that our obsequious servility to the US may in the long run be of no assistance while having been an unnecessary constraint and burden.
One that desperately desires Lebensraum.
Work that one out for yourself.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 28 Aug 2021, 8:05 am

It's hard enough to get ammo now.
Giving everyone a gun and 10k rounds won't help.
Just make sure people stay away from 338 lap and 6.5x52 please.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 28 Aug 2021, 8:24 am

straightshooter wrote:

etc....

Good job of misdirection there. An excellent demonstration of the relentless and enduring power of propaganda over clear thinking.
One that our obsequious servility to the US may in the long run be of no assistance while having been an unnecessary constraint and burden.

mate , i have no idea what your talking about :unknown: . don't speak in riddles , say what you mean . otherwise what's the point in posting ? :unknown:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Aug 2021, 9:34 am

Na, it will be biological. Germ warfare. China will release a modified virus then watch us all go mad.

:allegedly: :drinks:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 28 Aug 2021, 11:21 am

It wouldnt matter if we all had automatic weapons. If there is ever an invasion by a foreign force, Individual resistance would only be an inconvenience to the invaders. A single person or even two or three people could never win a firefight against a trained coordinated well armed force.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by pilotsignal » 28 Aug 2021, 12:01 pm

Well, it is intresting to read others opinion. However, I disagree. War, any war, won by people, not machine. Same was always. During WW1, WW2, Afganistan, Vientnam, etc Final victory is detemined by the ability of the civil population to resist to the last breath. I am not talking about a nuclear war or bio war. This is irrelevant, because in such war there will be no vinners. Any country regardless how small is population has much more chances to survive if conquerors is getting shot from any corner, any window and any hole.
And I'd rather die fighting for my country and my home, taking 2-3 invaders with me to the aftelife rather tha surrender. Besides, it is much easier and quicker to create a new soldier with basic previous experience vs someone who never hold a rifle before.
We are still governed by 1996 act but world has changed dramatiocally for the past 30 years. We have to adapt and get our population ready for everytrhing including hardships of possible wars on our soil.
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 28 Aug 2021, 12:35 pm

pilotsignal wrote: We have to adapt and get our population ready for everytrhing including hardships of possible wars on our soil.

I'm waiting for North Korea to liberate Victoria. Why would I want to resist?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bello » 28 Aug 2021, 1:36 pm

Hi all
I agree, It's all hopeless. We are all going to hell in a hand basket, probably made in china. :lol:
What I suggest is this, Money will be of no use if the above happens, and some see it happening soon, so I recon you give me all your cash now so I can look after it for you.
I know I know, I am a nice fellow thinking of looking after your cash. :thumbsup:
Look I will accept large cash donations, sorry as paper and pens will be confiscated, no receipt will be issued.
:sarcasm:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by womble » 28 Aug 2021, 1:40 pm

straightshooter wrote:

etc....

Indonesia, yep fair call.
Always a possibility a Muslim country’s government can flip to hard liners, it’s never really been of our radar. No misdirection was intended.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Patriot » 28 Aug 2021, 8:09 pm

A continent the size of Australia with a decentralised population would be just about impossible to invade and hold. The only country on the planet that theoretically might be able to do it would be the United States of America.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by boingk » 28 Aug 2021, 9:05 pm

Patriot wrote:A continent the size of Australia with a decentralised population would be just about impossible to invade and hold. The only country on the planet that theoretically might be able to do it would be the United States of America.

I'm glad someone's not completely retarded. Well said!

People mistake China's movements for bar-room aggression, but in actual fact they're the last desperate struggles of a drowning man.

The population demographic is so woefully skewed they are stuffed, and within the next 10 to 15 years. The 'single child' policy has bitten them hard. Despite it being withdrawn some years ago the stigma remains - most people of child bearing age now were raised in a family with one child... them. So the options for the future aren't "how many children" but "will we have any?"

As if that weren't bad enough, the population under 40 is woefully male-biased. Something like 65%, just insane. Again, one child policy. This has had an understandably huge impact on their social and economic climate.

Speaking of which... the economic investment options for them now are pretty much zero. With a government monopoly or ban on most international platforms, the average Chinese citizen has really only one investment stratergy - housing.

Their housing platform is one of the most crooked things ever conceived. The states generate money by selling land, which is then developed into housing. The housing is sold to citizens and business groups as investments. It's also a social prop to young men because females (able to be ultra picky due to the skewed gender distribution) demand a man generally have not only one house to live in, but another one or two as investments.

With a crumbling population and horrific government control stratergies... you can see where this is going... the place is stuffed. Badly stuffed.

And thats the short version.

Good video on the situation here, highly recommended watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTbILK0fxDY

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by straightshooter » 29 Aug 2021, 8:50 am

Patriot wrote:A continent the size of Australia with a decentralised population would be just about impossible to invade and hold. The only country on the planet that theoretically might be able to do it would be the United States of America.

It's one thing to be a Patriot, it's another to be delusional.
Let's say a motivated and not too distant aggressor with possibly a population 10 times or greater than that of Australia and with adequate logistics for the task decides on whatever pretext that it is going to occupy the north western portion of Australia and is able to secure the non intervention (or collusion) of our great protector.
Just how quickly and forcefully do you think Australia would be able to have any impact on the permanence of that situation.
Thus having established a substantial base, what further aspirations might that aggressor be tempted to pursue and at what speed?
How much help might the aggressor get from fifth columnists in the remaining part of Australia.?
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 29 Aug 2021, 9:17 am

'news' videos about China (especially those with extremes of predictions) are as biased as the China state media itself but often with a completely opposite view, like western mainstream media, the truth is out there but you'll never get to see it. The concern about aging population isn't as significant for China as they have no issues with slaughtering civilians by the millions if it suits their needs, their government really doesn't care how many poor people starve to death.

In terms of global war, if China chooses that route then Australia is stuffed, it will get obliterated from afar whether citizens are on their knees begging or standing proud with military grade weapons, how the eventual war with the rest of the world, and USA in particular, turns out is a different matter and probably all that is holding China back.

Whatever the future there are tough times ahead for China and for the rest of the world as governments grab more power, become ever more corrupt and chase ever reducing global resources.

EDIT - After watching much of the linked video it would appear that some sort of global pandemic that predominantly targeted the elderly and the sick would be exactly what a country like China would be hoping for, you'd think they'd be trying to develop a virus like that in a lab somewhere.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 29 Aug 2021, 9:25 am

10 of them to one of us is a fair fight to start with.
But then her majesty will not be pleased with what’s happened to her colony.
Boris lives for this stuff. Even just the speeches he will get to give.
And yes honour and duty will prevailll
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Patriot » 29 Aug 2021, 10:48 am

straightshooter wrote:

It's one thing to be a Patriot, it's another to be delusional.
Let's say a motivated and not too distant aggressor with possibly a population 10 times or greater than that of Australia and with adequate logistics for the task decides on whatever pretext that it is going to occupy the north western portion of Australia and is able to secure the non intervention (or collusion) of our great protector.
Just how quickly and forcefully do you think Australia would be able to have any impact on the permanence of that situation.
Thus having established a substantial base, what further aspirations might that aggressor be tempted to pursue and at what speed?
How much help might the aggressor get from fifth columnists in the remaining part of Australia.?

I’m just a realist mate. What you’re saying is of course possible but so is time travel. And as I said it is theoretically possible but at this stage and I think even in the future the only country that could do it is the United States of America.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 29 Aug 2021, 12:38 pm

Who could be bothered with a military takeover when an economic takeover is so much less problematic and more profitable?
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 29 Aug 2021, 4:10 pm

yes well said. i'm not a brave man , but if our country was invaded i don't think i would let myself be led of in chains . modern technology like thermal scopes, drones ect definately makes it harder to resist a invader with numbers and resources . but where there's a will, there's a way . just ask the afghan's or vietnamese

one factor is that muslim countrys aren't real keen on the chinese as the commies don't really like religion as it undermines the commie party's authority . the chinese could come under threat from the middle east or muslim countrys like indonesia at some point . i'm supprised that jihad hasn't been declared on china over the treatment of ethnic muslims in that country . "the enemy of my enemy is my freind" .the only thing holding it back is probably chinese money going into some places :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 29 Aug 2021, 4:19 pm

LawrenceA wrote:Who could be bothered with a military takeover when an economic takeover is so much less problematic and more profitable?

i do believe that plan is in effect at the moment .it's called the "belt and road initiative". against the advice of the federal government dan andrews signed victoria up for that . he should be tried for treason .dutton and sco-mo canned it using the new veto law to do with security/national interest . why destroy everything when you can buy it all from slimy politicians who are willing to sell the country out from under it's people ? china is putting pacific nations in debt traps with loans and setting up bases on their soil . it's china's turn at global imperialism . britain, france , and the americans have had their turn.....
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 29 Aug 2021, 4:27 pm

womble wrote:10 of them to one of us is a fair fight to start with.
But then her majesty will not be pleased with what’s happened to her colony.
Boris lives for this stuff. Even just the speeches he will get to give.
And yes honour and duty will prevailll

WWWWOOOOHH :clap: UP STRAYA ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drinks:

the rest of you mugs can be defeatist , but i'd be looking at the end game as best as i could play it , and try to live up to the anzac legend . i know, just brave words on a internet forum , but the pre battle speech of william walace in braveheart springs to mind . i'll even wear a kilt and chuck brown eyes at them :lol:

if it came down to it i don't think after living the life i have in this land called straya i would want to be lined up at the edge of a pit or slave in chains :unknown:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 29 Aug 2021, 4:35 pm

Patriot wrote:I’m just a realist mate. What you’re saying is of course possible but so is time travel. And as I said it is theoretically possible but at this stage and I think even in the future the only country that could do it is the United States of America.

Curious comments there Patriot.
Time travel is a reality but only in one direction and only at one rate.
Also are you inferring that maybe Australia should be entering into defence alliances with other countries for protection if the US is our only feasible invader.
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 29 Aug 2021, 4:43 pm

straightshooter wrote:
Patriot wrote:I’m just a realist mate. What you’re saying is of course possible but so is time travel. And as I said it is theoretically possible but at this stage and I think even in the future the only country that could do it is the United States of America.

Curious comments there Patriot.
Time travel is a reality but only in one direction and only at one rate.
Also are you inferring that maybe Australia should be entering into defence alliances with other countries for protection if the US is our only feasible invader.

I’m saying the the US is the only country that would even come close to being able to do it.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Larry » 29 Aug 2021, 6:08 pm

Indonesia and China would be able to do it quite easily. They both have the assets to take out our critical infrastructure which we are very reliant upon with no redundancy. They also have the number of people that could put boots on the ground fully equipped with the latest hardware and with overwhelming odds in their favor.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 29 Aug 2021, 7:40 pm

Larry wrote:Indonesia and China would be able to do it quite easily. They both have the assets to take out our critical infrastructure which we are very reliant upon with no redundancy. They also have the number of people that could put boots on the ground fully equipped with the latest hardware and with overwhelming odds in their favor.

nah, chuck norris will parachute in and kick all their butts :D i think the army knows how to operate with no critical infrastructure . our tank and recon regiments(fast moving bushmasters with some awesome hardware) , air force and navy are based in the top end for a reason . a few hornets could be over that area in minutes . i don't think our inteligence agency's are asleep with possible threats . not to mention the american spy planes that are flying over the south china sea keeping a eye on the chinese . guess where their based . darwin. sco-mo is also purchasing a long range missile defence system as well

west of brisbane the german firm rheinmetal is building the latest high tech tanks and APC's , as well as a munitions plant to the north of brissy . dunno how so many fellas can be so pessimistic. there's lots going on , a lot that we don't know about . the yanks are ramping up their presence in oz . the us marines use the top end for training purposes . i've actually bin thinking about getting a job with rheinmetal . i'll test drive their tanks around woolworths car park :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Larry » 29 Aug 2021, 7:45 pm

The army may be able to operate without our infrastructure but everyone in the cities would be in absolute chaos. I didn't have power for a few weeks after the black Saturday fires and it was tough.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 29 Aug 2021, 9:06 pm

Larry wrote:The army may be able to operate without our infrastructure but everyone in the cities would be in absolute chaos. I didn't have power for a few weeks after the black Saturday fires and it was tough.

i think a few hornets and misslle systems might have something to say about that . they gotta get here first . ya don't think the yanks have a nuke sub or two in our neck of the woods ;) i'm not meaning to rag on you mate , but i'm sure if you and i can think of these things people high up in the military can too :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation