the perfect set of golf clubs (rifles)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

the perfect set of golf clubs (rifles)

Post by bigrich » 01 Sep 2021, 6:37 am

hey fellas, just thought i would start a topic for a general yarn . i'm off work with a cracked rib and getting a little stir crazy . i've managed to stay away from my local gun shop so far and thought i would chat with youse about what rifles suit what and where you shoot/hunt . i know this type of conversation has been done before , but i did say i was getting stir crazy :D

the reason for the golf club reference , cause like the clubs some rifles are suited for a specific purpose . be nice to have a caddy to carry my golf bag for me ."stan , there's a red deer ahead . ya better pass me a 270 iron . replies- ahh no sir . wouldn't you be better off with a 9.3x62 wood ?" :lol:

myself , i have a weihrauch hw66 in 22lr for my clubs feild rifle comp and plinking . qaulity german gun without a anschutz price . i also have one of these in 22mag as my hunting rimfire . bit more reach and zap with rimfire disposable cases . next cab off the rank is my tikka 223 . this is more for centrefire feild comp at the club again . don't really get out enough doing culling . very accurate and cheap to load for . stepping up next is my 243 model 70 . bedded and rebarrelled with a 1-8 IBI barrel from the big C , this thing is really accurate . great caliber for goats and dogs at a distance . but it's normally left in the safe , as i prefer to take my 270 with me on trips as it covers everything .sako 85 in stainless laminate , loaded with 150 sst handloads , this is the go-to rifle .it'll do for the deer and pigs i've encountered . overkill for goats, but it'll reach right out there
now the interesting stuff . i have a model 70 westerner , originally in 243 that i converted to 358 win . this thing is supprisingly accurate , and 358 drops pigs on the spot . cheap to make my own brass , but projectiles are a bit thin to buy ATM. BUT, i find in a dam jumping situation with fast follow up shots, or bailing out of a vehicle, the 22" barreled bolt gun isn't as handy as i'd like . so to that end , i bought a marlin blued laminate 18.5" barrel 45-70 :D . compact , shoots moa @ 100, and not lacking in power , i think this is going to be a favorite scrub gun . i've also reassessed things , and bought a "proper" large game rifle , a 9.3x62 . not only does it have more energy, it also has more reach than my trusty 358 . suitable with the right projectiles , everything from light deer to sambar/buffalo , this is also destined to become a "go to" rifle as well . the poor old 358 might be going down the road.......i also have a marlin 44 , which is a bit useless for most areas i hunt , not enough reach or accuracy at distance, but it is a ton of fun :D . i'm not sure i'm going to hang onto this one long term . it's a distraction from other more useful rifles .

anyways , that's my waffle to keep away the boredom , feel free to comment or contribute . cheers :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: the perfect set of golf clubs (rifles)

Post by boingk » 01 Sep 2021, 7:07 am

Sounds like a good set mate, hope the rib heals up well!

I've got a few but the favourites that spring to mind are:

JW15 22LR, cheap cheerful and accurate. Doesn't look half bad either in walnut.

Win92 32-20, like a large bore 22WMR, really nice little rifle. Loaded with 1cc of Trailboss and a 78gn pill it hooks out at 1250fps and if you go 13gn 2205 behind an 85gn XTP you get a proper hunting load. Just right for that vintage feel.

Ruger American 223 and 308. Cheap synthetic accuracy in a reliable, rugged package. Can't ask for more bang for the buck.

Marlin 1895GBL 45-70; Sometimes you just need 400gn at 2000fps to say "YOU STOP NOW!", hell even 350gn at 1100 with Trailboss says "STOP" pretty well!
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bigrich » 01 Sep 2021, 7:24 am

boingk wrote:Sounds like a good set mate, hope the rib heals up well!

I've got a few but the favourites that spring to mind are:

JW15 22LR, cheap cheerful and accurate. Doesn't look half bad either in walnut.

Win92 32-20, like a large bore 22WMR, really nice little rifle. Loaded with 1cc of Trailboss and a 78gn pill it hooks out at 1250fps and if you go 13gn 2205 behind an 85gn XTP you get a proper hunting load. Just right for that vintage feel.

Ruger American 223 and 308. Cheap synthetic accuracy in a reliable, rugged package. Can't ask for more bang for the buck.

Marlin 1895GBL 45-70; Sometimes you just need 400gn at 2000fps to say "YOU STOP NOW!", hell even 350gn at 1100 with Trailboss says "STOP" pretty well!

that's a nice balanced set you got too mate . 32-20 can be very accurate , and it's supprising how many big red deer used to be taken with this mild caliber . yeah a 45-70 is a stopper , the poor BC projectiles bleed of velocity and energy quickly over 100 yards but . big step up from my 44 mag marlin, which is why i got one . i've owned 308 rifles before , and there's so many practicle reasons for owning one , but their just to vanilla for me . i always held the 6.5x55 as a great all rounder, but in hindsight ,a 270 does it better for me . i used to load 6.5 hot to get the energy and trajectory i wanted . 270 does it easy , no fuss .

ribs on the mend , thanks for your well wishes :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 01 Sep 2021, 1:10 pm

I reckon you need a big, heavy driver. Bigger than a .45-70 and definitely longer than 18.5”…like double that length!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 01 Sep 2021, 2:24 pm

Noisydad wrote:I reckon you need a big, heavy driver. Bigger than a .45-70 and definitely longer than 18.5”…like double that length!

:D so long as it comes with a gun bearer and shares in ADI :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Sep 2021, 6:47 pm

For my covid permitting trip to the cape my main 3 clubs will be ......a scoped sauer 243 will sit in the passenger seat as I drive around the property, maybe for a pig but more likely if I see a propped dingo or cat at a distance ....87 v max done. My 308 rem pump will be my creek walking rifle because of its weight ....this will be physically tough going. It’s fitted with a compact low power scope and a 45 degree off set red dot holo 130 grain speers .... for checking and walking round swamps I’ll use Home cast 405 Grainers in my marlin 4570 mostly for a Bit of a trad feel. ......my thermal scope will prob sit on my new browning maral 308 straight pull ( this is strictly for after hours dingoes and boars on the many baits that I intend placing at suitable locations ). Never thought golf could ever be so much fun .......let’s not forget my last club. A telescopic fishing rod for flicking lures in billabongs
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Sep 2021, 6:49 pm

Maybe I could stash my ruger American 450 bm in my caddy too
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Sep 2021, 7:06 pm

Blr243 wrote:For my covid permitting trip to the cape my main 3 clubs will be ......a scoped sauer 243 will sit in the passenger seat as I drive around the property, maybe for a pig but more likely if I see a propped dingo or cat at a distance ....87 v max done. My 308 rem pump will be my creek walking rifle because of its weight ....this will be physically tough going. It’s fitted with a compact low power scope and a 45 degree off set red dot holo 130 grain speers .... for checking and walking round swamps I’ll use Home cast 405 Grainers in my marlin 4570 mostly for a Bit of a trad feel. ......my thermal scope will prob sit on my new browning maral 308 straight pull ( this is strictly for after hours dingoes and boars on the many baits that I intend placing at suitable locations ). Never thought golf could ever be so much fun .......let’s not forget my last club. A telescopic fishing rod for flicking lures in billabongs

yeah , in this game of golf if you don't make par ya get trampled or eaten :lol: if your taking that many rifles BLR you need more than a caddy . sounds more like safari :P . if i head north it'll be the 45-70 and 9.3x62 . not much i can't do with them :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Sep 2021, 7:17 pm

I’ll be taking my keyboard north as well. Ode to joy ( was that by Beethoven ? ) is bound to get mobs running to me in droves. How often Do feral pigs in north Qld get the opportunity to see a free concert And Get to dodge bullets at the same time?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Sep 2021, 7:28 pm

Blr243 wrote:I’ll be taking my keyboard north as well. Ode to joy ( was that by Beethoven ? ) is bound to get mobs running to me in droves. How often Do feral pigs in north Qld get the opportunity to see a free concert And Get to dodge bullets at the same time?

actually it sounds like a scene out of "apocalypse now " :P
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 01 Sep 2021, 7:54 pm

bigrich wrote:that's a nice balanced set you got too mate . yeah a 45-70 is a stopper , the poor BC projectiles bleed of velocity and energy quickly over 100 yards but .

I've been aching to get one of the Lee #90577 moulds - twin cavity, 459 diameter 500 grain big boppers with a 3R nose and a .443 BC. Now that'd be interesting.

- boingk

Blr243 wrote:Maybe I could stash my ruger American 450 bm in my caddy too

Yeah, awesome cartridge. I enjoyed mine but ended up moving on as with 44 Mag and 45-70 it was just stuck in the middle. I did pick up a 350 legend, though, which is proving interesting.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Sep 2021, 8:15 pm

I'm guessing that being zeroed correctly and being on target with whatever you have in your hands would get you a "Hole in one"

:lol: :lol: Couldn't resist that one.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 01 Sep 2021, 8:43 pm

Me good old Bsa 222 great little all rounder to date I've take more with that one rifle than with anything else in the safe.

Howa 1500 308 things a absolute tack driver although it wasnt anything like that from out of the box its my throw around truck gun. Now with a leupold vx5hd 2-10 scope. Very handy.

Marlin 1895 sbl 45-70 although the rifle and i bruises the sh#t out of me comliments of the meds im now on for life she points well short and with the aim point red dot on top getting on target is a great scrub gun.

Thats my club set
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 02 Sep 2021, 4:42 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Me good old Bsa 222 great little all rounder to date I've take more with that one rifle than with anything else in the safe.

Howa 1500 308 things a absolute tack driver although it wasnt anything like that from out of the box its my throw around truck gun. Now with a leupold vx5hd 2-10 scope. Very handy.

Marlin 1895 sbl 45-70 although the rifle and i bruises the sh#t out of me comliments of the meds im now on for life she points well short and with the aim point red dot on top getting on target is a great scrub gun.

Thats my club set

There seems to be a few folks who like the 45-70 for a scrub rifle. The 45-70 is interesting as it can be easily loaded mild to wild. My load is 55gn of 2207 with a 300 hp. Having said that I got some 400 speers yesterday to play with :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 02 Sep 2021, 9:30 pm

bigrich wrote:
AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Me good old Bsa 222 great little all rounder to date I've take more with that one rifle than with anything else in the safe.

Thats my club set

There seems to be a few folks who like the 45-70 for a scrub rifle. The 45-70 is interesting as it can be easily loaded mild to wild. My load is 55gn of 2207 with a 300 hp. Having said that I got some 400 speers yesterday to play with :D

I run the same load with some 300g nosler pills very effective. Ill have to gab a box of the sppers for a comparison.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Sep 2021, 6:07 am

Assa, Since getting yourself some new turf, Have u been out there again, and had any luck ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 03 Sep 2021, 8:17 am

Blr243 wrote:Assa, Since getting yourself some new turf, Have u been out there again, and had any luck ?

Last went out a month ago haven't had the best of luck out there case to be honest the place is pretty well shot out few foxes and rabbits. The property owner is in the process of buying a 10000 acre block that for the most part hasn't had a thing on it for years thats what im holding out for.

The property at roma i haven't been to since march due to covid and busy work roster. Im currently trying to work out a 1 on 2 off setting for weekends at work. I must say running a mechanical shop for what ever reason staff are like a buch of school kids hopefully get out there soon again recently purchased a new 4x4 to help with getting out there. Fingers crossed :drinks:
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Sep 2021, 8:30 pm

I have new 4 by 4 too. Hopefully goin to the cape in a few weeks time ....feels much better with something brand new esp in the middle of nowhere with no reception .....that new block that may happen for you sounds promising....x mas Holiday time I prob head to Moree again. Hopefully it’s improved. It’s been dead quiet There for too long
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 03 Sep 2021, 10:24 pm

Blr243 wrote:I have new 4 by 4 too.

Must be the season for it. I pre-ordered a Jimny when I got wind they were releasing the 'Lite' version, after missing the boat in 2018... there's been a 12 month wait on them since then.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by flashman » 04 Sep 2021, 11:15 am

Golf ,well i can say i do play ,the problem is i always have a go to club when my game turns to chrap (Howa 308 ) is mine.............
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation