Scam E-mail?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Scam E-mail?

Post by NTSOG » 02 Sep 2021, 11:18 am

G'day,

I believe there are presently a number of new scams being run through various devices and on the 'phone. I received an E-mail without any subject heading this morning from some one called John Hauth. I have never heard of this joker. There was an attachment or file which I did not open before I trashed the whole document. Has anyone else heard from this 'bloke'?

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Scam E-mail?

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 02 Sep 2021, 11:23 am

No, but I keep getting phone calls of a pre recorded message in what I believe to be Chinese. Mandarins or Cantonese whatever it is bloody called.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bello » 02 Sep 2021, 11:40 am

I seem to get a few calls from people from the subcontinent, telling me the police are after me....I said "so whats new"...lol
They don't get the Aussie slang/humor... I have a good laugh...It's he most excitement i get during lock down :lol:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 02 Sep 2021, 2:03 pm

G'day Bello,

I don't get many calls from India nowadays, perhaps because I always speak to them in German. They just keep bleating what language is that and could I speak English please? One smart beggar twigged I was mucking him about and eventually told me that I did illegal things to goats.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 02 Sep 2021, 3:16 pm

Used to get the odd Indian voiced "consultant" from the Telstra Technical Dept. saying that there is something wrong with my computer etc. I just tell them I am just robbing the joint but happy to take a message. ;)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 02 Sep 2021, 3:38 pm

I had my Mobile phone Screwed by the phone hackers . what they do is call your number them before you answer the phone they bounce the call to another number anywhere in the world. most of these call were coming out of Ghana OR Nigeria but they were using a number generator that was giving a false country code. Mind you i was getting about 100 odd calls in the morning from 4 am to 7 am
. According to Vodafone They told me all I could do was Block each country as it came up My phone still has a list of blocked countries . When I asked what else i could do they told me to report it to the police who could take it up with telecommunications whatever ( or just have a good laugh) OR change my sim card New number I went to a store to get a new sim and rebuild all my phone when i was there another bloke came in same problem guy at Vodafone said he was getting about 4-6 a day at that time I was chatting with the guy in shop asked why cant i just block overseas calls on my phone he says you can but they know how to push the call through . I had that number from the early 90s to .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 02 Sep 2021, 4:04 pm

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 02 Sep 2021, 4:27 pm

Bugman wrote:Used to get the odd Indian voiced "consultant" from the Telstra Technical Dept. saying that there is something wrong with my computer etc. I just tell them I am just robbing the joint but happy to take a message. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i get those calls now and then, and i play with them too . i went full religious on one guy , played up like a fire and brimstone baptist preacher from the american midwest , i think i really convinced this indian fella he was going to hell for his sins ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 02 Sep 2021, 4:28 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day Bello,

I don't get many calls from India nowadays, perhaps because I always speak to them in German. They just keep bleating what language is that and could I speak English please? One smart beggar twigged I was mucking him about and eventually told me that I did illegal things to goats.

Jim

:lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 02 Sep 2021, 4:41 pm

Should just say with them asking them to repeat what they are saying all the time then ask if there is someone who can speak English 9-10 times they will tell you they learnt at college " so and so "I tell then if I had been teaching the course you would have failed . Then Hang up
Last edited by pomemax on 03 Sep 2021, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Sep 2021, 5:27 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day Bello,

Jim

I wonder what he would say if he was talking to someone in the land of the long white cloud?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Robin » 03 Sep 2021, 8:39 am

I'v had my fair share, I call them stress relief , I had one call me up once and told me a whole heap of crap and I responded in a not nice way and hung up, the bugger called me back a few mins latter and said "f*** you Robin f*** you", it was kinda a fun surprise, anyway I felt he was worthy of my attention so we just had a small chat about different things, nothing personal .
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Robin » 03 Sep 2021, 8:46 am

On anougher note, a lot of people are being scammed via email and phone, if it wasn't the case then these guys/girls wouldn't be doing it, I had one calling me up once saying they are from the Department of home Affairs and stating that im in alot of trouble, it just so happens that I was just walking into to do a job for Home Affairs and when I put them on speaker phone , my client had a good laugh .

Best thing with these things is, if you don't know who the email is from, then leave it, don't open it, if its important then you will get a call, if you get a call asking for your credit card details or asking you to download something , just don't , if they are saying they are from a company / gov, get the case number and look up the company and call the company back.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 03 Sep 2021, 12:26 pm

I’ve had a couple of calls supposedly from Amazon lately. They ask me to confirm a purchase for an iPad or something similar, which obviously I’ve never ordered.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation