Meat prices

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Meat prices

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Oct 2021, 2:47 pm

A place to post the crazy price of all meats, some of the prices I'm seeing around the place makes shooting for food almost seem cost effective.

I'll start the ball rolling with Kangaroo $35 per kilo :crazy:
Screenshot_20211002-141538_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211002-141538_Gallery.jpg (66.88 KiB) Viewed 3610 times

Makes me feel sorry for growers who have $ massive overheads.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Meat prices

Post by bigpete » 02 Oct 2021, 2:52 pm

I saw rabbits the other day for $18/kg ! s**t I could make some money at half that price ! And going by your roo prices,I save myself a ****** ton of money....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2021, 4:10 pm

But pork has been cheap for a while now.

Lucky it is because I'd be vegan if I relied on hunting ATM. C :?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 02 Oct 2021, 6:08 pm

In my little home town in northern Victoria ordinary mince meat is an obscene $18-$20/kg. In my bigger town it’s $10/kg.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 02 Oct 2021, 6:13 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:A place to post the crazy price of all meats, some of the prices I'm seeing around the place makes shooting for food almost seem cost effective.

what do you mean almost cost effective? I barely buy meat, its a waste of money, shoot it hunt it and eat it. one decent hunting trip can put numerous goats and whatever else in the freezer, and ya get a trip, holiday and adventure out of it at the same time.. much rather be hunting than walking around the shops.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by ZaineB » 02 Oct 2021, 6:16 pm

Noisydad wrote:In my little home town in northern Victoria ordinary mince meat is an obscene $18-$20/kg. In my bigger town it’s $10/kg.

same debacle in our local shops here, but I seldom shop there, more a pit stop than an actual shop. most locals here get a killer off a farmer, even if the killer is fetching premium prices its still way better than paying for meat. I make a lot of mince out of lamb fat then whatever else I am using, even rabbit aint bad like this for making ring-holes and snags. but the old skippy and goat and pig goes good in it more so.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Bill » 02 Oct 2021, 6:17 pm

melt in ya mouth Kangaroo Fillet for $35...sounds cheap, scotch fillets $35-50kg atm due to low stock numbers in Australia and growing Asian demand for protein.

What a time to be alive for Aussie farmers and pro Roo shooters :drinks: :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 02 Oct 2021, 6:25 pm

Bill wrote:melt in ya mouth Kangaroo Fillet for $35...sounds cheap, scotch fillets $35-50kg atm due to low stock numbers in Australia and growing Asian demand for protein.

What a time to be alive for Aussie farmers and pro Roo shooters :drinks: :thumbsup:

being absolutely 100% no stranger to pro kangaroo shooting, I doubt severely that any Kangaroo on the shelf in any shop is "Melt in ya mouth", more like stringy gamey old piss stink gammy boomer meat.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Oct 2021, 6:27 pm

Bill wrote:melt in ya mouth Kangaroo Fillet for $35...sounds cheap, scotch fillets $35-50kg atm due to low stock numbers in Australia and growing Asian demand for protein.

That's what blows my mind.

A beef grower has, labour, fencing, feed, water services, breeding plans,yards, mustering, marking, transport, often million dollar bank loans to service, E livestock identification, office work/administration pests and diseases... the list goes on.... once all that happens it still needs to be butchered and packed.

How's roo worth $35 / kg again ? Someone's pulling a mean profit on roo,hopefully it's the Shooter's, good for them
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

A beef grower has, labour, fencing, feed, water services, breeding plans,yards, mustering, marking, transport, often million dollar bank loans to service, E livestock identification, office work/administration pests and diseases... the list goes on.... once all that happens it still needs to be butchered and packed.

How's roo worth $35 / kg again ? Someone's pulling a mean profit on roo,hopefully it's the Shooter's, good for them

Simples, they charge the max idiots will pay. It's called good business.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 02 Oct 2021, 7:07 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

Yes that is the problem with the dumb Aussie doesn't haggle just says how much somebody tells them a stupid price outcomes the wallet see it in the Gunshop all the time .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 02 Oct 2021, 7:20 pm

ZaineB wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:A place to post the crazy price of all meats, some of the prices I'm seeing around the place makes shooting for food almost seem cost effective.

what do you mean almost cost effective? I barely buy meat, its a waste of money, shoot it hunt it and eat it. one decent hunting trip can put numerous goats and whatever else in the freezer, and ya get a trip, holiday and adventure out of it at the same time.. much rather be hunting than walking around the shops.

amen to that mate :thumbsup: . hunting is sustainable meat harvesting . goats , roos and deer don't need cleared grazing land . i've used this point of view against anti hunting/greenie types , and they find it hard to argue against :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Oct 2021, 7:47 pm

Can’t see myself forkin out 35 per k for a dirty ol bit of roo
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Oct 2021, 7:49 pm

I'll be heading to the Central Market in Adelaide next weekend for a day out, I'm keeping an eye out for game style meat there to check pricing.

Iv been watching fish with interest now the weather is starting to turn towards nice fishing weather.

KG Whiting $125 / kg :crazy: and that's without the Easter demand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2021, 7:52 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I'll be heading to the Central Market in Adelaide next weekend for a day out, I'm keeping an eye out for game style meat there to check pricing.

Iv been watching fish with interest now the weather is starting to turn towards nice fishing weather.

FMD
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Oct 2021, 7:53 pm

Blr243 wrote:Can’t see myself forkin out 35 per k for a dirty ol bit of roo

Possibly because your not a inner city yuppie and you know for under $1 and 1/2 hour of your time you could eat a fresh, tender, young doe and keep your dog fed on the scraps for a week :thumbsup:

Hell, you could even make a yuppie man bag from the skin and pay for your next hunting trip by banging it on eBay
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 02 Oct 2021, 7:58 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

It’s also called supply and demand. And while people are paying for it, idiots or otherwise, it will remain high.
But, as a lamb producer myself, I won’t complain about the prices we’re currently getting paid. I know it’s high, but that hasn’t always been the case, and it won’t always be the case either. When you’ve had to shoot your own sheep because they are literally worthless, you learn to appreciate the good times.
This probably doesn’t apply as much to roo meat. But again, if the consumer wasn’t buying it, the price would drop.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Oct 2021, 7:59 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I'll be heading to the Central Market in Adelaide next weekend for a day out, I'm keeping an eye out for game style meat there to check pricing.

FMD

Yeah :lol:
Screenshot_20211002-192826_Chrome~2.jpg
Screenshot_20211002-192826_Chrome~2.jpg (108.21 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ZaineB » 02 Oct 2021, 9:32 pm

Shootermick wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

It’s also called supply and demand. And while people are paying for it, idiots or otherwise, it will remain high.
But, as a lamb producer myself, I won’t complain about the prices we’re currently getting paid. I know it’s high, but that hasn’t always been the case, and it won’t always be the case either. When you’ve had to shoot your own sheep because they are literally worthless, you learn to appreciate the good times.
This probably doesn’t apply as much to roo meat. But again, if the consumer wasn’t buying it, the price would drop.

This is true, I can remember my grandfather paying shearing team in killers cos sheep were worth fk all at the time but to no surprise mutton and lamb still were at a premium at the store, lucky for him it paid off else him and the old man would have had to have shorn thousands of sheep on their own, the rest of the bill was sorted when the wool cheque came in, but yeah, hard times have definitely been had, I can remember buying hogget ewe's with decent condition numbers from the saleyards for $5 a head too, but wool fetched 1700c that year so not a bad turn over from it, all the while the butchers/supermarkets were still selling lamb ~$30 a kg
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Bill » 02 Oct 2021, 10:07 pm

ZaineB wrote:

being absolutely 100% no stranger to pro kangaroo shooting, I doubt severely that any Kangaroo on the shelf in any shop is "Melt in ya mouth", more like stringy gamey old piss stink gammy boomer meat.

Seriously mate any half wit can cook Roo meat, understand the protein and treat it with respect it deserves, clearly ur more on the scale of chefs arsehole than cook :sarcasm:

I cook Roo Shish Kebabs most year for Australia day ( made Crocodile this year) and Ive yet too hear a complaint in over 25 years, and I dont tell the customers what they are eating for a bit of fun :drinks: Great

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Downunder » 03 Oct 2021, 6:20 am

Farmed meat pricing for producers has caught up to costs and sustainable margins, simply small to medium sized producers have been border line profitable/sustainable for decades with many requiring off farm incomes to subsidise loss’s.
But with increased profits for producers comes gouging from suppliers, everyone wants in on the $$$, urea’s jumped 100% plus in 6 months, insurances jumped 30% and most other inputs have calved much of any windfall away.

Game meat is for a boutique market, I don’t personally know anyone who doesn’t harvest their own who consumes game meat outside of a special meal in a restaurant yet people are always quick to accept it when offered free.

As an ex livelihood shooter I hope those doing the hard yards harvesting roos are getting a good share of the $$, back when it was a lifestyle more than a living.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 03 Oct 2021, 8:59 am

Had some commercial roo fillet last week at a barbie, was as good as any I've had shot fresh. Much easier to be a snob than informed I guess.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 03 Oct 2021, 9:47 am

I have always wondered whether roos are selected for processing as meat for humans or whether they just process any old roo.

I am picky as to what roo I would eat and with that thought I pass up on eating roo at restaurants.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 03 Oct 2021, 10:40 am

animalpest wrote:I have always wondered whether roos are selected for processing as meat for humans or whether they just process any old roo.

I am picky as to what roo I would eat and with that thought I pass up on eating roo at restaurants.

I can help with this.When I first started culling commercialy in the mid 90s the box I shot into was based in Collie and King River picked up the chilled carcasses.Human consumption roos have the head on organs in the green below the Diaphragm is removed and the bunghole is gone.The legs are cut off at the hopper and the tail is left on.With human consumption roos you lose a quarter of the live weight.With pet food roos you lose a third.The carcasses have to be constantly chilling and must get to 4.C deep tissue within 48 hrs of being harvested.The box in Collie was a blast chiller so could do that easy.At the processing plant a vet checks the organs and confirms the animal was head shot then it is broken up just like any abattoir.The King river facility was very clean and sterile.We shot Western greys and they were all shipped boxed and frozen to satellite states of Russia.Georgia Estonia etc as they like their game meats.70% of the roos in the King River coolrooms were reds from the Gascoyne as it is big business up there and I ended up being involved in that industry later.The red roos are slimmer and their fur is smooth and little blue does are the best eating meat if they have been hung for a while.I have seen big fillets of Kangaroo for sale that must of come from a large animal.I guess if it is stewed like chuck and garliced and chillied it would be O.K.I am back in Perth and still cull around the Waroona area.I will eat a grey roo doe under 10 kg as the meat is a light brown and not too bad.Tail stew is just divine from both species.I will agree with Zaine that a big male grey roo smells pretty bad and is not real good on the plate.My largest ever was 68Kg human consumption dressed.I struggled to get it on and off the hooks.In the deep South they get even bigger
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bugman » 03 Oct 2021, 10:41 am

With prices getting very high, I am tending towards roadkill. :o
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 03 Oct 2021, 10:42 am

Bugman wrote:With prices getting very high, I am tending towards roadkill. :o

My fiancé used to at times.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ZaineB » 04 Oct 2021, 12:48 am

duncan61 wrote:
animalpest wrote:I have always wondered whether roos are selected for processing as meat for humans or whether they just process any old roo.

Tail stew is just divine from both species.I will agree with Zaine that a big male grey roo smells pretty bad and is not real good on the plate.My largest ever was 68Kg human consumption dressed.I struggled to get it on and off the hooks.In the deep South they get even bigger

exactly my whole childhood and most of my teens I was involved in my dad and uncles roo shooting business, you get X amount of tags, you dont go shooting all the smallest tastiest roos, you shoot the biggest smelliest ones cos you are paid per kg not per taste bud. Bill showed absolutely 0 knowledge of this, hence me getting LOL's out of him, then he proceeded to give me some drab lecture about beef pasture fed roos blah blah blah, roos stink cos of hormones above all else, older roos will always be gammy and crap compared to a nice adolescent one. Not a single human being I have ever encountered not white fella or black fella that hunts roos for food goes out and shoots a big one, roo shooters shoot only big ones. pretty simple math hey.

cheers Duncan :drinks:
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Oct 2021, 1:56 am

on_one_wheel wrote:

You forgot permits to transport.
Technically speaking,,,,, if I owned property directly across the road (as a lot of farmers do) to simply walk em out of one gate,,,, across the road,,,, and thru the other gate,,,, ( for fresh feed),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have to get all the permits.

(Fckn beaurocracy gone mad)
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bill » 04 Oct 2021, 8:12 am

Most of the Roo meat harvested ends up in Pet food, as a buyer Coles and Woolies wouldnt be putting gamey old buck on the shelf, think about it :thumbsup:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 04 Oct 2021, 10:22 am

Meat prices are sky high over here too. My usual steak prices I pay have nearly doubled, chicken has gone up as well.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation