Meat prices

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Meat prices

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Oct 2021, 11:56 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:The price of cattle is going through the roof and I don't see it dropping anytime soon as inflation soars.

Not just cattle, lambs just broke a record price of $331 each.
Exports are also up, its a great year for farming, both meat and grains. There'll be no shortage of shiny new tractors, harvesters and Toyota's in the field this year
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bah! » 08 Oct 2021, 12:39 pm

Die Judicii wrote:The "law" quite often contradicts itself,,,,,, depending on which government office various regulations come out of.

ie: Motorists are required by law to take joeys (after the mother has been killed by vehicle impact) to an Animal Welfare place to be cared for.

and,

ie: All "Does" must have the pouch checked after being shot (cull permits in Sth Aust) for joeys, and if present they must be destroyed."
(this was clearly stated on all cull permits I had in Sth Aust, and included specified methods of destruction)

They're different laws. One is for motorists, the other one is for pros harvesting and not really heaps hard to discern why they differ.

Zaine claims that either you're now allowed to, or shouldn't, shoot does with joeys and/or pros only shoot bucks and then like give up or something. Given the complex nature of roo reproduction, that would mean pretty much none of the year, given that they can have, and likely do have, joeys at more than one age present at once. Also, pretty sure peta has at least once had a screech about joeys being whacked on the head too, so that also happened.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 08 Oct 2021, 2:37 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:The price of cattle is going through the roof and I don't see it dropping anytime soon as inflation soars.

Not just cattle, lambs just broke a record price of $331 each.
Exports are also up, its a great year for farming, both meat and grains. There'll be no shortage of shiny new tractors, harvesters and Toyota's in the field this year

As soon as cattle prices go up so the price of all farm inputs do to. It’s not possible to ever get ahead. Glad to be out of it.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Oct 2021, 2:52 pm

bah! wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:The "law" quite often contradicts itself,,,,,, depending on which government office various regulations come out of.

ie: Motorists are required by law to take joeys (after the mother has been killed by vehicle impact) to an Animal Welfare place to be cared for.

and,

ie: All "Does" must have the pouch checked after being shot (cull permits in Sth Aust) for joeys, and if present they must be destroyed."
(this was clearly stated on all cull permits I had in Sth Aust, and included specified methods of destruction)

They're different laws. One is for motorists, the other one is for pros harvesting and not really heaps hard to discern why they differ.

That's more or less exactly what I said was it not.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 08 Oct 2021, 4:17 pm

animalpest wrote:Yes, I am very well aware of the kangaroo CoP. But nowhere does it state that females with joeys must not be shot.

Exactly
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bah! » 08 Oct 2021, 5:34 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
That's more or less exactly what I said was it not.

Yes but it isn't a gotcha moment, it is quite sensible really.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Oct 2021, 4:14 am

The other "price" of farmed meat
No s#!t Sherlock? ... ground breaking!
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/202 ... /100514570
Attachments
Screenshot_20211009-043953_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211009-043953_Chrome.jpg (205.96 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by disco stu » 09 Oct 2021, 7:38 am

I wish I could say that was the case for me! I'm sure I've used much more fuel driving around looking for them. If we were allowed to hunt here I could be taking out animals without even driving anywhere
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Oct 2021, 8:35 am

disco stu wrote:I wish I could say that was the case for me! I'm sure I've used much more fuel driving around looking for them. If we were allowed to hunt here I could be taking out animals without even driving anywhere

Lol. Same here. 30 minute drive each way yesterday. Come home empty handed. And clean missed the fox. :thumbsdown: :unknown:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 09 Oct 2021, 8:56 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Lol. Same here. 30 minute drive each way yesterday. Come home empty handed. And clean missed the fox. :thumbsdown: :unknown:

I have about 100 roos in the paddock opposite but 30min drive to deer zone here, goats is more like 4 hours.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Oct 2021, 9:06 am

bah! wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

I have about 100 roos in the paddock opposite but 30min drive to deer zone here, goats is more like 4 hours.

For me. Deer 90 min drive. Goats & pigs 5-6hr

There are deer, goats and even pigs closer but not huntable numbers or in "no go zones"
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 09 Oct 2021, 10:21 am

ZaineB wrote:
bah! wrote:That is right, once you shoot the bucks out, you may as well shoot the does. Local guy shot 80 last season and of that only a dozen were bucks but he still got paid for the rest.

depends on the property and population, and youre not allowed to shoot does with joeys.

They all have a joey of some sort going on.I have pulled a joey out of a pouch that had seeds in its feet which means it has been feeding out the pouch.If it can hop off strong then I let it go.If it falls over I terminate.The same doe had a small joey still attached and several more on the way.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by NTSOG » 09 Oct 2021, 10:55 am

"The price of cattle is going through the roof and I don't see it dropping anytime soon as inflation soars."

The last lot of 9 month old Angus [weaner] steers we sold earned about $1350 [$3.85 per kilo] a couple of years ago. More recently prices for yearling steers have reached well over $5.00 per kilo live weight. We have a few more cows yet to calve. I'm hoping for bull calves - I have enough replacement heifers. I understand there has been keen competition by northern buyers needing replacement stock.

Regardless of the cause of the high prices I'm hoping the seller's market for stock out of the paddock holds for a few more months.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Oct 2021, 11:55 am

NTSOG wrote: I'm hoping for bull calves - I have enough replacement heifers. I understand there has been keen competition by northern buyers needing replacement stock.

This is the big issue,,,,, I had to sell all ours due to the drought and that was only just before it broke and the rains came and filled the dams etc.
If I coulda known at the time I would have stretched things and kept paying the ridiculous $$$ for hay.

But since then, the cost of starting out again and buying in breeding stock is prohibitive.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Oct 2021, 12:04 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bah! wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

For me. Deer 90 min drive. Goats & pigs 5-6hr

There are deer, goats and even pigs closer but not huntable numbers or in "no go zones"

In my case,,, (some of you blokes might turn green :mrgreen: )
I have zero travel restrictions unless I cross the border,,,
I only have 10 minutes drive to be amongst pigs, dogs, foxes, hares, the odd few rabbits, fallow, & ducks.
And,, when I'm chasing dogs I don't even have to pay for diesel.

:thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 09 Oct 2021, 2:47 pm

DJ: "... the cost of starting out again and buying in breeding stock is prohibitive."

I hadn't looked at the prices for yearling heifers before now as I knew that I wouldn't be buying any breeding stock. To my surprise yearling heifers at Mortlake [Vic.] sales on 27th September went for $5.08 per kilo. Grown heifers were pretty expensive too - up to $4.65 per kilo also at Mortlake, but well over $3.00 elsewhere - if any heifers were offered at all.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bill » 10 Oct 2021, 8:19 am

Die Judicii wrote:
NTSOG wrote: I'm hoping for bull calves - I have enough replacement heifers. I understand there has been keen competition by northern buyers needing replacement stock.

This is the big issue,,,,, I had to sell all ours due to the drought and that was only just before it broke and the rains came and filled the dams etc.
If I coulda known at the time I would have stretched things and kept paying the ridiculous $$$ for hay.

But since then, the cost of starting out again and buying in breeding stock is prohibitive.

I think farming might not be the caper for you sunshine, previously you were bragging allowing a Roo shooter to only cull Bucks " the Cream", and then you ran out of feed and were forced to sell the last of your breeding stock :crazy: :huh:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Oct 2021, 11:48 am

Bill wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:

I think farming might not be the caper for you sunshine, previously you were bragging allowing a Roo shooter to only cull Bucks " the Cream", and then you ran out of feed and were forced to sell the last of your breeding stock :crazy: :huh:

You've got a very vivid and inaccurate imagination there.
I'd stick to the facts, (what I've actually said), and not some twisted version of what your mind thinks I said.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bill » 10 Oct 2021, 1:49 pm

:lol: you're supplying the facts but I'm happy to join the dots up
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Oct 2021, 2:22 pm

Screenshot_20211010-145214_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-145214_Gallery.jpg (506.15 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Oct 2021, 5:27 pm

I'm confused.
Sign says $42kg
On package $22
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Oct 2021, 6:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I'm confused.
Sign says $42kg
On package $22

$33.89... 0.807 kg :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Oct 2021, 4:10 am

Nah, $22 kg.

forum-2.jpg
forum-2.jpg (212.78 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 11 Oct 2021, 5:02 am

on_one_wheel wrote:The other "price" of farmed meat
No s#!t Sherlock? ... ground breaking!
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/202 ... /100514570

“ABC’s environmental reporter“..... that’s about as equally stupid as listening to advice from GCA on gun control....
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Oct 2021, 7:59 am

Bill wrote::lol: you're supplying the facts but I'm happy to join the dots up

Why yes of course,,,,,,,,,,, you are so right. Never have truer words been spoken.

In the course of this topic discussion I have put certain facts out there.
And as you say,, "your happy to join the dots up".

Sadly,,, your responses demonstrate a clear lack of ability to accurately read and interpret those facts.

And, a bit like some journalists that also lack ability,,,, when you did not have enough understanding of what was at task,,, you resorted
to making up your own interpretations and inserting them.
Praps you ought to go back and read exactly what I said,,,,, and compare that to your concoctions.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a "good" story eh ?????
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Oct 2021, 7:27 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Nah, $22 kg.

forum-2.jpg

I see now... perhaps loin chopps don't have the same demand as cutlets?
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Oct 2021, 7:45 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Nah, $22 kg.

forum-2.jpg

I see now... perhaps loin chopps don't have the same demand as cutlets?

Huge difference
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 11 Oct 2021, 7:56 pm

I have never bought cutlets but will buy forequarter chops as the are half the price and cook up good
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation