The future of Facebook & Forums?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

The future of Facebook & Forums?

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2021, 5:55 am

Does this high court decision spell the end of some Forums or Facebook pages?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/202 ... /100501800
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: The future of Facebook & Forums?

Post by straightshooter » 04 Oct 2021, 7:18 am

Some bright spark will work a way around a forum operator being held as a publisher. Such as requiring all forum posters to identify themselves and accept any and all liability for their posts.
Won't that be fun.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 04 Oct 2021, 7:51 am

straightshooter wrote:Some bright spark will work a way around a forum operator being held as a publisher. Such as requiring all forum posters to identify themselves and accept any and all liability for their posts.
Won't that be fun.

Some bright sparks ie the high court have already found they are publishers. The only way around it would be to change the law.

Identifying posters as you suggest would make it more possible for forum owners and posters to be sued. Which is why Facebook is in more trouble with the ruling then a forum is as you are identified on Facebook.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 04 Oct 2021, 7:52 am

Canowindra-a place I hadn't even heard of until my parents moved out there on a whim 3 days before telling me! I didn't even know how to spell it, and I had spent plenty of time out west.

That's wrong I reckon. Isn't Facebook themselves just as liable as the person running the page? How can the blame for comments go to someone running the page rather than the person who made the actual comment.

Is it different on forums, given the somewhat anonymity? I could say what I want about a user here, but from all anyone knows we know their state and that they like to hunt, and for some users we know their first name. So is it defamation if the only thing being defamed is a forum user name?

I still think society has gone mad if the blame falls on the admin of a page rather than the person who made the comment. If I do that in someone's house it can't be blamed on the person who owns that house, only on me
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 04 Oct 2021, 9:05 am

Both the person who made the post/comment and the admin/page owner is responsible and can be sued.

The reason that Facebook isn't is that they have successfully claimed they are platform not a publisher. ie they are like a Telstra, they provide the infrastructure, but don't control how people use it.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 04 Oct 2021, 9:13 am

Fionn wrote:The reason that Facebook isn't is that they have successfully claimed they are platform not a publisher. ie they are like a Telstra, they provide the infrastructure, but don't control how people use it.

And of course neither claim is true.
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 04 Oct 2021, 10:20 am

Imagine being an old bloke. Well you'd be able to show you suffer from dementia and not in charge of your facilities.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2021, 10:50 am

mchughcb wrote:Imagine being an old bloke. Well you'd be able to show you suffer from dementia and not in charge of your facilities.

Yes, I've survived. Working in well paid management and consultancy roles up till 18 months ago. So no dementia here sport just intellect and experience.
I still remember a few arrogant, knowall, smart arse young blokes that are now dead. Too bad.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 04 Oct 2021, 11:07 am

mchughcb wrote:Imagine being an old bloke. Well you'd be able to show you suffer from dementia and not in charge of your facilities.

There are a few simple clinical tests that are used to assess early dementia.
Learn how to fake them and you will keep TPTB fooled for so much longer.
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Oct 2021, 11:51 am

Censorship has begun, freedom of speech is dying, freedom of choice is also dying.
This is the pointy end of the wedge, it starts by removing misinformation, and opens the door to controlling all information.

Who decides what information is "faulse" and needs to be removed? Can they remain impartial and un-biased?

On the bright side, we'll be fully groomed and ready to loose a war against a communist state in a few years at this rate. :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 04 Oct 2021, 12:14 pm

What do you mean freedom of speech is dying you have lost freedom of speech the day they stop you saying one word no matter how repugnant that word is you should be free to use it in any context you see Fit
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 04 Oct 2021, 3:35 pm

straightshooter wrote:

There are a few simple clinical tests that are used to assess early dementia.
Learn how to fake them and you will keep TPTB fooled for so much longer.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 04 Oct 2021, 3:43 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Yes, I've survived. Working in well paid management and consultancy roles up till 18 months ago. So no dementia here sport just intellect and experience.
I still remember a few arrogant, knowall, smart arse young blokes that are now dead. Too bad.

Look on the bright side at least they won't have to listen to demented safety shares at the next safety meeting.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 04 Oct 2021, 4:42 pm

Not really my concern. The only social media I am involved with is this one. Don't like TwoFaceBook and the others. For those who want utilise these services, that is your choice.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2021, 5:23 pm

mchughcb wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Look on the bright side at least they won't have to listen to demented safety shares at the next safety meeting.

OH dear, anxiety, emotionally unstable, low self esteem, self doubt, grazed knuckles, all signs that your "not quite right" up top. You need to look after yourself, can I suggest you ph 13 11 14. Or perhaps visit you local church in Kensingon, get some help, get better my son.

Or take a Bex and a lay down
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2021, 5:32 pm

mchughcb wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Look on the bright side at least they won't have to listen to demented safety shares at the next safety meeting.[/quote]

P.S. you need to change bait. Your B.S. doesn't worry me, because you a troll and most here understand that my friend.

Why don't you go Back to AHN?. Oh, I forgot, your not wanted there either, are you?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 04 Oct 2021, 6:40 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
mchughcb wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Look on the bright side at least they won't have to listen to demented safety shares at the next safety meeting.[/quote]

P.S. you need to change bait. Your B.S. doesn't worry me, because you a troll and most here understand that my friend.

Why don't you go Back to AHN?. Oh, I forgot, your not wanted there either, are you?

Why don't you go back to AHN I remember you weren't liked much there either.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2021, 7:05 pm

Oh, I'm so upset. :sarcasm:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 04 Oct 2021, 7:16 pm

deye243 wrote:What do you mean freedom of speech is dying you have lost freedom of speech the day they stop you saying one word no matter how repugnant that word is you should be free to use it in any context you see Fit

I agree Freedom of speech is dying, they keep telling me to shut up :sarcasm: :sarcasm:
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Oct 2021, 7:40 am

Interestingly enough,Facebook, messenger,and whatsapp are all down today....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by boingk » 05 Oct 2021, 11:02 pm

As usual its a mountain out of a molehill.

Law wrote:Since July 1 in NSW, Victoria and South Australia, a person who claims they've been defamed has to prove they suffered serious harm.

No to mention that everyone who spouts "I'm gOinG tO sUE yOu!" whether in real life or over the internet generally have zero idea of what, how or who is involved with that process. Been there many times myself.

As for Facebook? It can go and fornicate with itself for all I care. Its the drug of the uneducated, the unemplyed and the malingering.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Oct 2021, 7:57 pm

boingk wrote:As usual its a mountain out of a molehill.

Law wrote:Since July 1 in NSW, Victoria and South Australia, a person who claims they've been defamed has to prove they suffered serious harm.

No to mention that everyone who spouts "I'm gOinG tO sUE yOu!" whether in real life or over the internet generally have zero idea of what, how or who is involved with that process. Been there many times myself.

As for Facebook? It can go and fornicate with itself for all I care. Its the drug of the uneducated, the unemplyed and the malingering.

- boingk

I had the owner of a firearms shop in SA threatening me with a defamation case after he discovered the review I left online for his business.

He asked me to edit or remove my review or else!

I opted to edit my review, this time I didn't hold back, from his perspective the review was far worse to the power of 10

I was confident that I would be fine even if he could find the tens of thousands it would have cost to pursue as everything in the review was absolutely true and could be proven without a doubt... what a stooge :lol:

Fortunately for the shooting community, that joker is out of business, he was nothing short of a law breaking shonk.

Somehow he managed to reset his google account and clear all his bad reviews so unfortunately mine has disappeared but it wasn't long before he attracted plenty of new bad reviews and closed the doors with a 1½ star rating.

Always make sure reviews are to the point and factual :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Oct 2021, 8:41 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

- boingk

I had the owner of a firearms shop in SA threatening me with a defamation case after he discovered the review I left online for his business.

I opted to edit my review, this time I didn't hold back, from his perspective the review was far worse to the power of 10

I was confident that I would be fine even if he could find the tens of thousands it would have cost to pursue as everything in the review was absolutely true and could be proven without a doubt... what a stooge :lol:

Fortunately for the shooting community, that joker is out of business, he was nothing short of a law breaking shonk.

Somehow he managed to reset his google account and clear all his bad reviews so unfortunately mine has disappeared but it wasn't long before he attracted plenty of new bad reviews and closed the doors with a 1½ star rating.

Hmmm.....R and R customs ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Oct 2021, 9:06 pm

bigpete wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

- boingk

Hmmm.....R and R customs ?

:drinks: that's them
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Oct 2021, 9:10 pm

Yep he's shonky as all get out lol
bigpete