Texas school shooting

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Texas school shooting

Post by cz515 » 09 Oct 2021, 6:23 am

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/07/us/t ... index.html

Interesting points. Texas allows concealed carry inside of schools. Lucky only 2 shot could easily have been lot more. And interestingly the shooter handed himself into custody and then was released next day.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: Texas school shooting

Post by disco stu » 09 Oct 2021, 7:36 am

Sounds much different situation to the normal "US school shooting" type headlines.

They allow concealed carry by students in schools, or only staff? I can understand staff given the way people seem to go nuts over there, but not students
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 09 Oct 2021, 8:06 am

I wouldn't call it a school shooting but more of a shooting at a school. A fight between students and one drew his 45. Watch the video of them fighting.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local ... 28bb1978b4
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 09 Oct 2021, 8:20 am

Maybe he left his assault rifle at home :unknown:
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bah! » 09 Oct 2021, 8:41 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I wouldn't call it a school shooting but more of a shooting at a school.

that is some world class nitpicking.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by cz515 » 09 Oct 2021, 9:08 am

^^^^agreed :lol:

a few interesting points.

Texas as we know is very pro guns, In this situation the kid shot and injured 4 people, run away from the school, disposed the firearm. Even though there are very likely staff and students concealed carrying firearms in the school. So all that pro guns stuff didn't actually work in this real world senario.

And the most bizarre aspect, the cops/courts released him on bail the next day, saying he was upset and bullied.

Now if the same thing happened in Australia wonder what would be the result....
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 09 Oct 2021, 1:33 pm

18 year old the shooter in a class with a 15 year old who was shot,
15 year old punching the crap out of 18 year old who goes to his BAG and get the .45 out fires 7 shots at the 15 year then runs home other kids record it and post to YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0zrzCDyfGc
Last edited by pomemax on 09 Oct 2021, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Oct 2021, 3:03 pm

pomemax wrote:15 year old the shooter in a class with a 18 year old who was shot,
18 year old punching the crap out of 15 year old who goes to his BAG and get the .45 out fires 7 shots at the 18 year then runs home other kids record it and post to YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0zrzCDyfGc

Actually, the video shows the 15-year-old beating the 18-year-old.

I don't get why an eighteen-year-old and a fifteen-year-old are in the same class?
And the older kid is bullied by the younger one?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 09 Oct 2021, 4:02 pm

just rewatched yer your right Blade Makes it even weirder I wonder if they knew each other out of school like related maybe
edited my original post
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Oct 2021, 4:25 pm

pomemax wrote:just rewatched yer your right Blade Makes it even weirder I wonder if they knew each other out of school like related maybe
edited my original post

I was thinking perhaps the older boy was developmentally challenged, but I would've expected that to have been mentioned.
I also didn't see anything about where he got the pistol, I think all states have 21 as minimum age for handguns, although with some loopholes, like being given a handgun from a family member if you're eighteen or older
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 09 Oct 2021, 4:47 pm

A federal court ruled a few months ago that it was unconstitutional and violated the rights of 18-20 years olds to restrict their ownership of handguns so the law to be 21 to buy a handgun has been overturned. Americans cop a lot of heat from the rest of the world but at the end of the day they are the only country on the planet to experience dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

"Virtually every other constitutional right applies whatever the age. And the Second Amendment is no different."

"the rights of more than 99% of a group cannot be restricted because a fraction of 1% commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/13/poli ... index.html
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 09 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm

No minimum age to posses firearms under Texas law.
He can buy and own one with parents consent.

A 15 year old shot and killed his family, then himself in Texas couple of weeks ago
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 09 Oct 2021, 7:48 pm

Guns don't kill womble. Its the mentally deranged people who carry guns that kill :lol:
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Oct 2021, 3:07 am

I agree. That’s why we don’t let mentally deranged people have legal access to firearms here.
They still kill by other means though. And that’s no less tragic.

Nevertheless, we’re not arming them. That’s never helpful.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Oct 2021, 1:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I don't get why an eighteen-year-old and a fifteen-year-old are in the same class?

I went to high school in the US part of year 9 and 10.

Classes are not divided by age groups like here over there you choose new electives every year so depending on which topic you choose you could have year 9 and 12 in the same class.

We started at 8am had 6 one hour classes same thing at the same time every day. There was 4 minutes to get from one class to the next a 20 minute lunch break and no morning tea break. Finished around 3pm.

It wasn't uncommon for kids to have rifles in car boot one friend got an Uzi for 15th birthday brought it to school to show us he left in the car didn't carry it around.

You got learners license at 15 full license at 16 student car park had rich kids with turbo Trans Am recaro interior to ordinary cars. A second hand Fiat X19 was around $2k

School shootings were uncommon before schools became gun free zones.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 10 Oct 2021, 2:40 pm

I have noticed the kids on TV in America never wear school uniforms.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Oct 2021, 2:51 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I have noticed the kids on TV in America never wear school uniforms.

Having been there done that the best thing with school uniform is not having to think about what to wear today.

All the media have gone very quiet on this i wonder why.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Oct 2021, 3:17 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I have noticed the kids on TV in America never wear school uniforms.

I've never worn a school uniform either. The kids at Wesley College (where I did Army Cadets) wore uniforms but none of my schools did.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cleger » 11 Oct 2021, 10:02 am

cz515 wrote:https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/07/us/timberview-texas-school-shooting-what-we-know/index.html

Interesting points. Texas allows concealed carry inside of schools. Lucky only 2 shot could easily have been lot more. And interestingly the shooter handed himself into custody and then was released next day.

I'm the last to have much favorable to say about Texas, but they don't allow people to carry guns in their schools.
https://www.tasb.org/services/legal-ser ... operty.pdf

It's practically unheard-of for public schools to "require" uniforms -- anyone can "opt-out" of them, so when they do crop-up (in places like Texas :lol: ) they make the news, and go straight to court, so they're exceedingly rare. Even "dress codes" must be drawn very carefully, and are successfully challeged from time-to-time.

Generally, only private schools have uniforms, and even then, not all of them.
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 11 Oct 2021, 5:57 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:

Having been there done that the best thing with school uniform is not having to think about what to wear today.

.[/quote]

along those lines Albert Einstein very famously had the same clothes in his wardrobe so he didn't have to waste time and energy on thinking what to wear :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Robin » 12 Oct 2021, 3:51 pm

Guns in schools should never happen, Kids carrying guns in schools should never happen either, when I went to school, we resolved our issues with a good old fight, if kids bring guns to school, then the chance of something bad happening is very high.

In the US I do believe something needs to be done to stop schools from being shot up, but having teachers and kids in schools with guns is not ideal, maybe have armed guards and a watch tower might help.

The US gov should also look into why this keeps happening and what they can do to prevent it.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 12 Oct 2021, 6:18 pm

But would kids still go to school if they could’nt bring their guns ?
Would you send a child to school unarmed ?? An innocent child..
Education is important.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC_bEN-rN7borJDeXQM_viUA
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 12 Oct 2021, 7:53 pm

I think it's more of a cultural thing.

As guns are so common.... some people instead of using fist, knives or other objects to resolve problems resort to guns. (There are pail people everywhere, I am now taking about loonies)
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 13 Oct 2021, 3:09 am

Robin wrote:Guns in schools should never happen, Kids carrying guns in schools should never happen either, when I went to school, we resolved our issues with a good old fight, if kids bring guns to school, then the chance of something bad happening is very high.

In the US I do believe something needs to be done to stop schools from being shot up, but having teachers and kids in schools with guns is not ideal, maybe have armed guards and a watch tower might help.

The US gov should also look into why this keeps happening and what they can do to prevent it.

School shootings and knifings are common around the world. They just had one in Russia, I think six people got killed. Being familiar with Russian gun laws, they are pretty restrictive.

The reason it happens is a no brainer. Criminals and terrorists target the weak and soft targets. Here in the USA in most states schools and around schools are No Gun zones where you can't even carry a firearm on you even with a concealed carry licence.

Some schools here in the USA now have their own police or security and many have had that for a long time.

When I went to school we had guns at the school for the rifle team, teachers had guns, students had guns in their cars in the parking lot. A school shooting was unthinkable.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by womble » 13 Oct 2021, 3:30 am

I think gun fights and shootouts should be restricted to play time and not during class.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Oct 2021, 3:43 am

My teachers had the strap or the cane.
But they did’nt shoot us if we misbehaved.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Oct 2021, 3:51 am

I’m glad miss Sullivan did’nt have a gun because she definately would have used it on me
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 13 Oct 2021, 4:41 am

Sadly, this shooting at a school won’t be the last. As much as I think it might upset some, there are some people in most ,if not all society’s who are lacking in making good decisions or who have some sort of mental health issues .
I think of some of the dumb or drug f@cked losers I’ve come across in this country and thank god they don’t have easy access to firearms
Ya can’t trust the “human condition “ with some unfortunately. Considering gun ownership in Canada and similar places in the world with very little in the way of school shooting or other gun related events,you would have to assume the problem is a cultural one in parts of the US . Maybe some sort of public mental health push , with more involvement from groups like the NRA ? Similar to the “R U Ok” thing we have here .
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 13 Oct 2021, 6:19 am

Americans love freedom and Australians don't that's what it all boils down too. In America a small percentage do the wrong thing but everybody realises loosing your freedom over other peoples actions is abhorrent. In Australia a small percentage do the wrong thing and everybody looses their freedom because people are cowards and love the nanny state.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
~Dead American bloke from the 1700s
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bah! » 13 Oct 2021, 8:07 am

yeah the freedom to get shot in the street is the best!
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation