FMD,,, it's your own money.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

FMD,,, it's your own money.

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Oct 2021, 9:49 pm

Just heard the tail end of one of those annoying adverts,, "if you've been injured you can access compensation/payments from your superannuation"
via blah blah,,,,,,,,, legal /solicitors company.

FFS,,,,,,,, it's your own money,,,,,,,,,,,, that you can access without even contacting a solicitor company.

But this ad really takes the cake,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
They say that you don't pay anything,,,,,,,,, until you win your case.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Isn't that exactly the same as any financial transaction ???

You don't pay anything until you make a deal/agree to take the next step.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: FMD,,, it's your own money.

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Oct 2021, 10:21 pm

There's plenty of solicitors that are happy to act for someone who can't work the system for themselves, most are happy to take your money upfront @ $450 per hour or more.

What's the difference between a lawyer and an electric eel ?
Ones slimy, smells fishy and hurts to get tangled up with... the other is an electric eel.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Oct 2021, 10:27 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:There's plenty of solicitors that are happy to act for someone who can't work the system for themselves, most are happy to take your money upfront @ $450 per hour or more.

Ones slimy, smells fishy and hurts to get tangled up with... the other is an electric eel.

Like a bushfire, hurricane, tornado, flood, woman,,,,,,,,,,,,, sooner or later,,, one of those will destroy your life. :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Oct 2021, 10:37 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:There's plenty of solicitors that are happy to act for someone who can't work the system for themselves, most are happy to take your money upfront @ $450 per hour or more.

Like a bushfire, hurricane, tornado, flood, woman,,,,,,,,,,,,, sooner or later,,, one of those will destroy your life. :lol:

At least bushfires, hurricanes, tornadoes and floods soon pass.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Oct 2021, 10:58 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Oct 2021, 11:46 pm

Really? I have been considering getting access to some of my Super, and it is a legal nightmare that may take over 39 weeks of being compulsorily and continuously on the dole or require me to permanently retire earlier than I wanted. Would love to know what your secret is to bypass the rules about accessing "my money"..
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Oct 2021, 1:10 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Really? I have been considering getting access to some of my Super, and it is a legal nightmare that may take over 39 weeks of being compulsorily and continuously on the dole or require me to permanently retire earlier than I wanted. Would love to know what your secret is to bypass the rules about accessing "my money"..

No secret Mate,,,,,, just depends on what you need the funds for,,,,,,, and your individual circumstances.
For starters,,,,,,,,,, being retired does knock down a lot of hurdles.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 11 Oct 2021, 6:02 am

Yes people who are retired...or over that age don't need lawyers..... its more for those who are younger than retirement age who might need help to navigate.

Lawyers are all about the money. You remember Nicola gobbo the police informer lawyer. He main crime was she expedited court cases by getting her clients to take quick plea bargains thus dudding out her colleagues of thousands of fees
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Oct 2021, 2:55 pm

cz515 wrote:Yes people who are retired...or over that age don't need lawyers..... its more for those who are younger than retirement age who might need help to navigate.

Lawyers are all about the money. You remember Nicola gobbo the police informer lawyer. He main crime was she expedited court cases by getting her clients to take quick plea bargains thus dudding out her colleagues of thousands of fees

Lawyers, solicitors, barristers,,,,,,, they are at the top of the list of reviled professionals are they not ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 11 Oct 2021, 3:29 pm

Had used a bunch of lawyers that still advertise on TV. This was way back about a my compensation case. The lawyer that handled the case ended being as useful as tits on a bull. I walked away from the whole debacle. Just wasn't worth the effort and I just wanted to get on with my life, which I did. I really do despise the majority of the legal profession. :x
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Oct 2021, 4:02 pm

Bugman wrote:Had used a bunch of lawyers that still advertise on TV. This was way back about a my compensation case. The lawyer that handled the case ended being as useful as tits on a bull. I walked away from the whole debacle. Just wasn't worth the effort and I just wanted to get on with my life, which I did. I really do despise the majority of the legal profession. :x

Had a similar situation. I just walked away and copped a $ loss.

The company involved paid out a 7 or 8 $million (loss) because they didn't like my qualified advice. :violin: Had they listened they would have made a nice profit instead. So they paid big time any way, just not into my pocket. :unknown: Some just don't want to hear the facts. Dumb fukers.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 13 Oct 2021, 7:22 am

Super pisses me off. People being stupid with their inability to save for their future is not my problem. Instead of forcing people to have money tied up loosing purchasing power due to inflation they should teach kids at school about financial independence. So many people are stupid and can not even comprehend the basics of compound interest.

Yes self managed super exists and I do it, but still it is annoying to be told you cant access your own money.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 13 Oct 2021, 6:04 pm

Its easier to say Super is not your money pure and simple. If it wasn't legislated almost no business would pay it.

Even your beloved America has a 401k plan. Where you put money from your wage into it. Your employer may or may not choose to add to it.... and you guessed it, you can't touch it till retirement age
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Oct 2021, 6:59 pm

IMO super is the best thing since sliced bread.

Retired now on super. In cruise mode. Couldn't possibly do what I do on the OAP.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 13 Oct 2021, 11:06 pm

I’m genuinely scared of crocs sharks bears tigers lions taipans and solicitors
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Oct 2021, 8:31 am

The "superannuation guarantee" was introduced to reduce the pressure on the old age pension. The life expectancy in Australia had risen to 78 in 1996, that was an increase of 10 years since 1950 ( it was 68 ) and 38 years ( it was 40 for men ) since 1908 when the fist pension was introduced. Basically, people were starting to live too long and it was easy to see that the OAP as it was wouldn't cope in the future. Keating came up with the compulsory employer scheme as a way of forcing people to save for retirement.
Yes, some folks are capable of looking after themselves, :allegedly: but a vast majority are not. Making it hard to access saves people from themselves, blowing their savings and becoming a burden on the system. The recent access granted to peoples super to help them get through "hardship" caused by covid showed just that. I've had blokes brag about getting "their" $10K out and buying a quad bike, fishing boat, motorbike,... the list goes on.
I just got the annual report for mine, ( an industry fund ), that returned better than 15% last year. I was thinking about converting to a self-managed fund but I don't reckon I can better that without a lot of risk or effort. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Oct 2021, 12:06 pm

Gamerancher wrote:The "superannuation guarantee" was introduced to reduce the pressure on the old age pension. The life expectancy in Australia had risen to 78 in 1996, that was an increase of 10 years since 1950 ( it was 68 ) and 38 years ( it was 40 for men ) since 1908 when the fist pension was introduced. Basically, people were starting to live too long and it was easy to see that the OAP as it was wouldn't cope in the future. Keating came up with the compulsory employer scheme as a way of forcing people to save for retirement.
Yes, some folks are capable of looking after themselves, :allegedly: but a vast majority are not. Making it hard to access saves people from themselves, blowing their savings and becoming a burden on the system. The recent access granted to peoples super to help them get through "hardship" caused by covid showed just that. I've had blokes brag about getting "their" $10K out and buying a quad bike, fishing boat, motorbike,... the list goes on.
I just got the annual report for mine, ( an industry fund ), that returned better than 15% last year. I was thinking about converting to a self-managed fund but I don't reckon I can better that without a lot of risk or effort. :thumbsup:

Yep, industry funds beat all the others hands down, year after year. Non profit & professionals.

A mate of mine lost about 80% of his super in self managed fund. Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 14 Oct 2021, 12:56 pm

Self managed all the way. I bought 5000 acres and silver bars. I hate the idea of fiat in the bank loosing purchasing power due to inflation.

Essentially super is a number on a screen that amounts to little in real world application.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 14 Oct 2021, 1:33 pm

People who are more than 5 years away from retirement and have cash in their super....... are mugs.

The thing is about diversity, and economies of scale. Plus the super industry employ hundreds of geeky experts who are lot more experienced than us. Having all your super in one basket is a recepie for disaster. But your money atleast you bought 5000 acres, most others just burn it away
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation