What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Lazarus » 21 Jan 2023, 4:27 pm

After forking out 150 for a new MDS ignition coil yesterday, I built a new bracket to fit it.

I discovered in the process that the only problem with the old one was a mysterious buildup of rusty crud in the top where the plug seats.
I pulled it apart, cleaned it and refitted it and took it for a test, almost like new :(

I consoled myself with the fact that under full pedal it still has a tiny miss.
That's what I'm telling myself anyway.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jan 2023, 5:39 pm

bigpete wrote:Thanks. To make it clear though,I didn't knap the blade, only fitted the handle

No, I understood when you said you bought it.
But I don't doubt you could've knapped it yourself :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 21 Jan 2023, 5:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:Thanks. To make it clear though,I didn't knap the blade, only fitted the handle

No, I understood when you said you bought it.
But I don't doubt you could've knapped it yourself :-)

Nah,I can't. I'm seriously not good at knapping. I wish I was. I really need a mentor
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Jan 2023, 8:04 pm

Obsidian is just volcanic glass. Not the same but similar to modern glass. Can you knap modern glass BP?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 21 Jan 2023, 9:03 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Obsidian is just volcanic glass. Not the same but similar to modern glass. Can you knap modern glass BP?

I know what obsidian is. Its the easiest of the things I've tried to knap but I'm still no good at it. Dacite was probably the hardest,with chert and south Oz flint next. You can knap glass and ceramic if you want to. I'm just not good at it, I can spall out usable flakes ok but I'm no good at forming a decent tool via percussion and pressure flaking yet.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jan 2023, 9:19 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Obsidian is just volcanic glass. Not the same but similar to modern glass. Can you knap modern glass BP?

I messed about with glass when I was a kid so I understand how to do it. But I don't know that I ever managed to make anything complete before it shattered. Might be interesting to try again though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 25 Jan 2023, 1:59 am

Usually here in January we get plenty of sunny days but it has been a dark gloomy month and after weeks of no snow accumulation on the ground we got some snow and there is another storm coming that could dump an inch an hour.

I tried to do some chronographing the other day but it's too dark so I am ordering a light kit to see if that helps.

Spent yesterday working on building my own firearm. Here in the USA you can legally build your own gun for your own use, so I am building a Glock 19 clone with an incomplete lower receiver that fits in a gig and I have to remove material and drill holes to make functional. I spent all afternoon with files, small sanding tools and an X Acto razor knife to remove polymer material and smooth surfaces. I am moving slow as you remove too much material and the whole thing is junk. After that I have to drill holes and deburr them. Then I have a complete Glock parts kit for the lower and the upper so I have to figure all that out. Also bought my first pistol red dot sight for it so we will see how that works.

It's a good winter project to do and it's good because I am learning a bit of Glock gunsmithing
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lazarus » 25 Jan 2023, 8:47 am

My new coil arrived yesterday, put it in and sweet baby jebus, what a difference.

It fires up on gas from cold, something it hasn't done for 2 years.
The biggest difference though, I had become used to the power loss.
I could tell the difference in throttle response, even just going up the driveway, on the road it's back to stabbed rat performance again.

Side note. Gotta love an "expert".
The character at the spares vendor told me I absolutely had to mount the MDS upright because oil filled coils will die very quickly if mounted horizontally.
I told him the Bosch GT40 I was replacing had been horizontal for over 15 years, whereupon he told me "that's because they're solid", not according to Bosch I replied, "mate I work in spares, I know".

He asked what vehicle it was going on, I told him it was for my Range Rover, he then told me not to bother because "you can't run Range Rovers on gas".
I pointed out that I've been running dual fuel on it for 25yrs with nearly 500,000km of very satisfactory performance, "nuh, you won't get it working, I used to work on gas cars, I know".

Makes one wonder what other pearls of wisdom the clown knows.

Final step in the reinvigorating is a trip to the four wheel dyno in Canberra for tweaking.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2023, 4:33 pm

I was asked to put a mate's dog down on Monday which has spoiled my week a bit. At least it went well, very clean and quick. She was very crook but like myself he's had a bad experience trusting a vet to put down a pet so he preferred to have me do it. A bullet while they're relaxing on their favourite bit of lawn is far more humane than the stress and confusion of a vet surgery.

Saw the doctor for a final dressing on my arm. The hole was an easy 20mm across and a good 10mm deep at its worst, now it's only about 12mm diameter and maybe 4mm deep, looking pretty good. Just need to ensure nothing gets into it until it's fully healed over.

We're halfway through the AI on the cows, hopefully another couple weeks and they'll all be set. We had them in the front yard of the house last week.
20230116_113349b.jpg
20230116_113349b.jpg (343.99 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Jan 2023, 6:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:I was asked to put a mate's dog down on Monday which has spoiled my week a bit. At least it went well, very clean and quick. She was very crook but like myself he's had a bad experience trusting a vet to put down a pet so he preferred to have me do it. A bullet while they're relaxing on their favourite bit of lawn is far more humane than the stress and confusion of a vet surgery.

Saw the doctor for a final dressing on my arm. The hole was an easy 20mm across and a good 10mm deep at its worst, now it's only about 12mm diameter and maybe 4mm deep, looking pretty good. Just need to ensure nothing gets into it until it's fully healed over.

We're halfway through the AI on the cows, hopefully another couple weeks and they'll all be set. We had them in the front yard of the house last week.
20230116_113349b.jpg

I refuse to put down dogs any more. Last 2 I put down for a friend because they were " sick ", turns out she just didn't want to have to look after them anymore. Never again.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2023, 7:06 pm

bigpete wrote:I refuse to put down dogs any more. Last 2 I put down for a friend because they were " sick ", turns out she just didn't want to have to look after them anymore. Never again.

Agreed, I just saw a post on FB from a chicken owner who had her dog put down because she couldn't stop it from killing her chickens. What she meant is that it was easier/cheaper to kill the dog than actually fix the issue.

But I've known this little dog her whole life and have seen her become blind, then deaf. Recently she's started having heart attacks, uncontrolled bowel movements and vomiting, and developed an untreatable skin condition that has made her life a misery. The vet suggested it was time to finish her pain. I accepted the responsibility of making sure she went while she was happy, relaxed and unaware. This was her favourite place to be. It required a lot of standing around waiting for her to find a respite from the endless scratching at her skin as I didn't want that to be her last thought. We buried her in the rose garden above the clothesline here.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jan 2023, 7:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:I refuse to put down dogs any more. Last 2 I put down for a friend because they were " sick ", turns out she just didn't want to have to look after them anymore. Never again.

Agreed, I just saw a post on FB from a chicken owner who had her dog put down because she couldn't stop it from killing her chickens. What she meant is that it was easier/cheaper to kill the dog than actually fix the issue.

But I've known this little dog her whole life and have seen her become blind, then deaf. Recently she's started having heart attacks, uncontrolled bowel movements and vomiting, and developed an untreatable skin condition that has made her life a misery. The vet suggested it was time to finish her pain. I accepted the responsibility of making sure she went while she was happy, relaxed and unaware. This was her favourite place to be. It required a lot of standing around waiting for her to find a respite from the endless scratching at her skin as I didn't want that to be her last thought. We buried her in the rose garden above the clothesline here.

Any way you do it. Its hard.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 27 Jan 2023, 6:24 am

I have to do this a day late as Australia day was quite busy.
Firstly I spent 4 hours at work tree trimming and brush cutting.
Then home to the little lady to do some food shopping while she wore knee highs,daisy dules,and a too tight cotton shirt. Ooof. Looks were given thats for sure lol. Then we tried recreating this pic. :)
Screenshot_20230127-063440_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230127-063440_Gallery.jpg (459.13 KiB) Viewed 2136 times

No,I'm not posting ours lol.

Tried some new beers. You really wouldn't call them beers as such,but they were nice,particularly the guava and passionfruit one. Yes,I do have a sweet tooth. Also ate a big bunch of lamb chops,its Australia day after all and Sam Kekovich told me too lol.
Screenshot_20230127-063307_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230127-063307_Gallery.jpg (503 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Screenshot_20230127-063317_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230127-063317_Gallery.jpg (526.91 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Screenshot_20230127-063327_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230127-063327_Gallery.jpg (493.15 KiB) Viewed 2136 times

After waiting a good couple of hours for dinner and the ½ beers we had each to settle,and watching a new to us netflix series called the Sandman,we went back out to my work with the fishing rods and my little 17hmr. The dam there is stocked with trout and silver perch. Its a beautiful spot,and last time I fished there I caught a bunch of silver perch no worries. Not so this time,we got a couple of bites but no fish,so I took the little lady for a drive around the block with the 17 her,and picked up this nice sized hare with a left handed shot from about 50m through the vines. He's now in the freezer :D
Screenshot_20230127-063355_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230127-063355_Gallery.jpg (216.08 KiB) Viewed 2136 times

So all in all a pretty bloody good Australia day !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jan 2023, 7:04 pm

That's an outstanding day Pete!

I had to replace the timber bases under my half-scale silhouettes again, but I changed my mind and welded up a steel rack for them.
Attachments
20230127_193140b.jpg
20230127_193140b.jpg (376.92 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jan 2023, 8:11 pm

The boys dropped in today. Sooo, took the boomerang I made for them to the park.

This is the result. :lol:

https://youtu.be/_prtbj4MtDU

More work required. :violin:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 27 Jan 2023, 8:26 pm

Did you bevel the edges correctly?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jan 2023, 10:01 pm

bigpete wrote:Did you bevel the edges correctly?

Not sure what u mean by that. In cross section looks like an aircraft wing. I recall you should file a bit of the rear tip? But can't find out anything.
But I also suspect the ply is a bit thick/heavy.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Jan 2023, 11:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Not sure what u mean by that. In cross section looks like an aircraft wing. I recall you should file a bit of the rear tip? But can't find out anything.

Why on earth not just do it properly,,,,,,,,,,, Go out bush and find the correct shape and size tree root.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 28 Jan 2023, 8:35 am

Die Judicii wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Why on earth not just do it properly,,,,,,,,,,, Go out bush and find the correct shape and size tree root.

Why a tree root? They used branches more often than not. And also,it takes forever to use natural wood
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2023, 6:07 pm

Working. Concrete pier footing. Syeel post replacement. Snd then lots of getting back into plsying guitar while listening to peter green on spotify So very lm gtting bck into my guitr ....was stagnant for 2-3 yrs
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Jan 2023, 7:06 pm

Had a tough walk up my local hill. For the first time ever, I took a waterbottle. After a rest, started mending a neighbouring fence. Replacing a warped and twisted paling took more than an hour. Trying to use the existing nail holes for screws probably wasn't my greatest idea :roll:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Jan 2023, 8:30 pm

Oldbloke wrote:The boys dropped in today. Sooo, took the boomerang I made for them to the park.

This is the result. :lol:

https://youtu.be/_prtbj4MtDU

More work required. :violin:

I've been working with a few indigenous lads recently.
They make the odd boomerang, typically with the younger family members.
The last one I saw looked pretty awesome, might have a crack at one myself some time :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Jan 2023, 10:20 pm

bigpete wrote:
Why a tree root? They used branches more often than not. And also,it takes forever to use natural wood

As u say,,,,,,, more often than not,,,,,,,, but certainly not always.

TREE ROOT,,,,,,,,,,
And time is of no real consequence when doing a job properly.
PIC >> Made by my Grandfather,,,, and I'm pretty sure he knew what was what when it came to making em.

100_6327.JPG
100_6327.JPG (589.21 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jan 2023, 4:53 am

Die Judicii wrote:As u say,,,,,,, more often than not,,,,,,,, but certainly not always.

TREE ROOT,,,,,,,,,,
PIC >> Made by my Grandfather,,,, and I'm pretty sure he knew what was what when it came to making em.

100_6327.JPG

Does it return to the thrower?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 29 Jan 2023, 12:06 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
bigpete wrote:

As u say,,,,,,, more often than not,,,,,,,, but certainly not always.

TREE ROOT,,,,,,,,,,

100_6327.JPG

Thats pretty cool,does it fly nice ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Jan 2023, 2:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Does it return to the thrower?

Nah Mate ,,,,,, its a "hunting boomerang"
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Jan 2023, 2:46 pm

bladeracer wrote:Does it return to the thrower?

Thats white fella majic
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Jan 2023, 3:00 pm

[quote="bigpete]

Thats pretty cool,does it fly nice ?[/quote]

Sure does, straight and true.
As a kid I can remember one day when some of the old fellas showed me for the first time just how effective the hunting ones can be.
They stuck sticks upright in the sand (to represent ducks or wallaby's heads/necks) and at varying distances,,, they could successfully take them
down one at a time most throws.

Even at a young age,,, I thought that I wouldn't wanna p!ss them off. :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 29 Jan 2023, 3:04 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Does it return to the thrower?

Thats white fella majic

They were actually indigenous made,I believe in the south Eastern parts of Australia, used for hunting waterfowl and other flocks of birds
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 29 Jan 2023, 3:08 pm

Die Judicii wrote:[quote="bigpete]

Thats pretty cool,does it fly nice ?[/quote]

Sure does, straight and true.
As a kid I can remember one day when some of the old fellas showed me for the first time just how effective the hunting ones can be.
They stuck sticks upright in the sand (to represent ducks or wallaby's heads/necks) and at varying distances,,, they could successfully take them
down one at a time most throws.

Even at a young age,,, I thought that I wouldn't wanna p!ss them off. :lol:[/quote]

Yeah,I seen APY land blokes as a kid using woomera and spears that could hit a cardboard fruit packing box at what seemed incredible distances at the time, and thought the same. Was very disappointed when I finally went up to stay in their community and went on a roo hunt where everyone used rifles..... :D so naive I was
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation