What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by bigpete » 23 Feb 2024, 1:40 am

Took the new ute and missus for a drive to check my game cameras. No luck unfortunately so we repositioned them and left them there. Fingers crossed they catch something other than me lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 23 Feb 2024, 2:24 am

It's only 3C here with an icy rain sleet coming down lightly. Overall it has been a warm winter and it looks like very warm temps coming over the next two weeks of temps from 10-16C, which is about a month early for that. However that's not uncommon, I can remember a few winters like this where it has been warm enough I could start kayaking and bike riding in March because all the snow and ice is gone. The funny thing is we will probably have late season snow once everything blooms in April and early May.

Unfortunately got bad news yesterday when I got a face scan to put in a titanium implant. The tooth next to the implant which is a root canal tooth with a crown, looks like an infection is starting so will have to have that pulled before I get the implant. Also found the cost got raised for the implant so I'll be in for $6K.

Shooting wise I put out Project Poor Man on my Youtube channel. Oriented towards folks with not a lot of money, I use a Lee Hand Press to load some 45 ACP with Titegroup. I wanted to show even if you don't have a lot of room or money on hand you can get started reloading with a Lee Hand Press and a few other tools and at least make yourself somewhat sufficient from being reliant on expensive factory ammo and save some money, recycle your brass, etc.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Shootermick » 23 Feb 2024, 6:43 pm

Yesterday I was up at the fire near Beaufort.
Massive blaze, air craft do all the work when it’s in the mountains, they’re unbelievable. Apparently there were 100 tankers there as well. Haven’t heard much on property loss yet, hopefully it’s minimal, but last I heard it had burnt 7000 hectares. One of my friends had about a third of his farm burnt, but saved his house and sheds and cattle. Although he did admit that if the wind didn’t swing around to the south he would have lost the lot.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Feb 2024, 7:44 pm

The greyish area is suposed to be the area impacted/burnt.

IMG_20240223_204001.jpg
IMG_20240223_204001.jpg (143.44 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Feb 2024, 7:46 pm

Went to local range to sight in a couple of rifles and test some new reloads.
Went well till wind picked up about 11. So, didn't get it all tested. But fairly happy with results.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2024, 8:02 pm

Clearing fallen trees today. We're moving the cows into a neighbour's property on the weekend, bypassing an inbetween neighbour by running them along the creek. But trees came down along the fenceline in last weeks storm so we had to clear those first. A mate came down and gave us a hand, so we loaded the ute up with wood which I took up to his place this evening. But where we back into the back of his house a large pine has dropped today while he was out, also tearing off his back gutter. So we had to cut that one up as well to be able to offload the firewood.

On the way home I came the back route to check that it is clear and a vehicle flagged me down to say there's a tree across the road "4km back there". I think he meant down a sideroad as I didn't find it. There were many dozens of trees down along there but all have already been cleared. We're going back on Sunday to check the deer fence so I'll detour a few kms down there and clear it if it's still there then.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 25 Feb 2024, 2:16 pm

Had an unexpected w/e free after I was thinking I'd be working, so ducked out late yesterday arvo for a quick fish. Spooked one brown (trout) in a pool that used to be really good and had a seriously big (~50cm) fish in it years ago, but has since silted up a lot. That was it for the next hour and a half, though there were a crap load of small fry in the shallows/eddies of a lot of pools so hopefully most survive the lean times/cormorants/summer low flows to next year. On the way back I had a quick peek in the same pool from the track above, and cold see a couple of fish finning in the lower section, so quickly jumped the farm fence to get closer. Ended up watching 3 fish all about 30cm, the two bigger ones chasing the smaller on which had a big chunk taken out of it's lower back on the dorsal section. A hopper didn't elicit any interest (there were tons about), nor did a small royal wulff - a standard for around here. I changed to a large yabby pattern and the biggest of the three smashed it on the second cast like it was starving.

IMG_5352.jpg
IMG_5352.jpg (296.15 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

Headed out for a couple of sessions with my new (2nd hand) Gamo Hunter in .22. Once I'd figured the scope mount had loosened off, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it shot off a less than perfect rest and some el cheapo slugs. Despite a bit of wind and shaky shooting sticks, managed to keep it within a rabbits head out to 25m after a bit of practice, and first shot at 30m went straight through the bullseye so left it at that :thumbsup: Just have to find some decent slugs and make up something a little better for shooting off in the field.

Ordered a new gas ram kit for it to make it somewhat quieter as I'll be chasing rabbits mainly. The trigger is horrible - takes about 5min of pulling to break but I believe I can swap out the screw for a different one to make it much nicer.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 Feb 2024, 2:35 pm

Today I inspected and priced a bayonet collection for a Dealer, a bit of fun and got to see a couple of nice things, afterwards he showed me an incredibly rare Venezuelan Mauser Target Rifle, never even knew there was one of them in this country and what a piece of work! These had a 7" longer barrel than the std FN24/30 and were made for the 1954 Pan Am Championships and then used by their 1956 (Melbourne) Olympic Team for training.
Attachments
Venezuelan Target Rifle 2.jpg
Venezuelan Target Rifle 2.jpg (56.94 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Venezuelan Target Rifle 1.jpg
Venezuelan Target Rifle 1.jpg (205.36 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Venezuelan Target Rifle.jpg
Venezuelan Target Rifle.jpg (50.96 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 26 Feb 2024, 4:40 pm

Flyonline wrote:Had an unexpected w/e free after I was thinking I'd be working, so ducked out late yesterday arvo for a quick fish. Spooked one brown (trout) in a pool that used to be really good and had a seriously big (~50cm) fish in it years ago, but has since silted up a lot. That was it for the next hour and a half, though there were a crap load of small fry in the shallows/eddies of a lot of pools so hopefully most survive the lean times/cormorants/summer low flows to next year. On the way back I had a quick peek in the same pool from the track above, and cold see a couple of fish finning in the lower section, so quickly jumped the farm fence to get closer. Ended up watching 3 fish all about 30cm, the two bigger ones chasing the smaller on which had a big chunk taken out of it's lower back on the dorsal section. A hopper didn't elicit any interest (there were tons about), nor did a small royal wulff - a standard for around here. I changed to a large yabby pattern and the biggest of the three smashed it on the second cast like it was starving.

IMG_5352.jpg

Headed out for a couple of sessions with my new (2nd hand) Gamo Hunter in .22. Once I'd figured the scope mount had loosened off, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it shot off a less than perfect rest and some el cheapo slugs. Despite a bit of wind and shaky shooting sticks, managed to keep it within a rabbits head out to 25m after a bit of practice, and first shot at 30m went straight through the bullseye so left it at that :thumbsup: Just have to find some decent slugs and make up something a little better for shooting off in the field.

Ordered a new gas ram kit for it to make it somewhat quieter as I'll be chasing rabbits mainly. The trigger is horrible - takes about 5min of pulling to break but I believe I can swap out the screw for a different one to make it much nicer.

Got a pic of the yabby pattern ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Flyonline » 26 Feb 2024, 7:00 pm

bigpete wrote:
Got a pic of the yabby pattern ?

Here ya go. Was one of the variations I tied up after that big day a while back (50cm 'bow day). It's wire wrapped to sink evenly, rather than up/down as dumbell/beadchain eyes do. The body is some cheap chenille-thingy I bought on spec at Spotlight one day (I think it's supposed to be edging of some kind) which actually produces a really nice look, kinda shimmering in the water.

IMG_5357.jpg
IMG_5357.jpg (79.64 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 02 Mar 2024, 5:00 pm

Screenshot_20240302-171942_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240302-171942_Gallery.jpg (395.19 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
Screenshot_20240302-171915_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240302-171915_Gallery.jpg (470.74 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
Screenshot_20240302-171630_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240302-171630_Gallery.jpg (390.73 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
Screenshot_20240302-171603_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240302-171603_Gallery.jpg (281.64 KiB) Viewed 1102 times

Not so much today as this week.
First image is a custom bush knife I'm getting made by Stump Knives in Adelaide. Its coming along quite nicely.
Second image ,the bottom blade I've bought Adam Thiel blade smithing to make my own stag horn handle knife.
Thirdly is an enormous lump of cow from one I had to put down a few months back and never had time to cut up so I spent an hour or 2 cutting that up into stewing meat.
And fourthly is my new ride. 2016 MQ Triton extra cab with 134000km on it I've inherited from my dad who can no longer drive. The camper has been taken off and is for sale and there's a canvas canopy and frame work that goes with it. Definitely an upgrade from my 2004 Ford RTV with 518000km on it :)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 04 Mar 2024, 4:11 pm

Hardened a new batch of knives.
All came out puuurrrfick

rsz_20240304_165915.jpg
rsz_20240304_165915.jpg (373.94 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

They've had their bevels partially ground while soft to save belt wear, now it's time to grind them into something useful
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Flyonline » 04 Mar 2024, 6:42 pm

Nah Laz, they're rubbish. Better send them to me for...er.....disposal?? :sarcasm:

Spent yesterday putting the new gas ram in the gammo, then ducked out for a quick shot to see how it fared. Poorly in a word: was very disappointed though it was veeeeery windy. Not sure if it just needs a couple '00 shots through to smooth it out, but it looked to have a wide velocity range (though I suspect without a chrono it is quicker). Hopefully it's just that the different speed doesn't gel with the pellets I have, so I'll get a few different kinds to try and with a grease and oil change, it should be as good as before.

It's no quieter, more of a crack than a ping, but definitely much smoother. Was a bit of fun, can see why people are nervous with compressing the spring/ram. Ended up having to use an acroprop in reverse as my big F clamp wasn't enough with the barrel locked in place (could do it broken to release the spring).

Made a couple of loaves of mosbolletjie - a South African recipe using fermenting wine/juice as the yeast source. With a heap of butter, milk and eggs it's quite brioche like and super easy to do and very tasty! Hardest part is getting the ferment at the right level so there's plenty of sugar left to kick off, but still enough yeast to get the bread to rise properly. The original recipe calls for white wine, but we're nearly exclusively red wine focused, so I use red must which ends a slight pink colour in the finished product.

IMG_5372.jpg
IMG_5372.jpg (100.74 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 05 Mar 2024, 6:00 am

Flyonline wrote:Nah Laz, they're rubbish. Better send them to me for...er.....disposal?? :sarcasm:

Spent yesterday putting the new gas ram in the gammo, then ducked out for a quick shot to see how it fared. Poorly in a word: was very disappointed though it was veeeeery windy. Not sure if it just needs a couple '00 shots through to smooth it out, but it looked to have a wide velocity range (though I suspect without a chrono it is quicker). Hopefully it's just that the different speed doesn't gel with the pellets I have, so I'll get a few different kinds to try and with a grease and oil change, it should be as good as before.

It's no quieter, more of a crack than a ping, but definitely much smoother. Was a bit of fun, can see why people are nervous with compressing the spring/ram. Ended up having to use an acroprop in reverse as my big F clamp wasn't enough with the barrel locked in place (could do it broken to release the spring).

Made a couple of loaves of mosbolletjie - a South African recipe using fermenting wine/juice as the yeast source. With a heap of butter, milk and eggs it's quite brioche like and super easy to do and very tasty! Hardest part is getting the ferment at the right level so there's plenty of sugar left to kick off, but still enough yeast to get the bread to rise properly. The original recipe calls for white wine, but we're nearly exclusively red wine focused, so I use red must which ends a slight pink colour in the finished product.

IMG_5372.jpg

:lol: :drinks:
Did you know we knife makers never make mistakes?

We just make a "design changes".

That recipe sounds interesting.
However, I might not try it, the only thing I've successfully fermented, on purpose, is my favourite tomato paste and lemon juice sugar wash.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 15 Mar 2024, 6:02 pm

I love making knives, but I detest hand rubbing the finish.

Today I built a little rig from scraps and a falcon wiper motor, and some draw slides to take out the donkey work.

Clamp the job to the little platform flick the switch, and hold a rubbing block against the job.

rsz_20240315_182032.jpg
rsz_20240315_182032.jpg (362.59 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 15 Mar 2024, 7:18 pm

Nice machine Lazarus

Today I run around getting quotes for my Triton. Bloody hell comprehensive insurance is expensive! Then I run around buying more s**t i need for my hog deer trip. Have rounded the day off with a bit of archery practice in the backyard
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 15 Mar 2024, 7:33 pm

Thanks mate.

Bloody insurance is a killer.
Given the number of clowns on the road, it's a necessary evil, eh?
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 15 Mar 2024, 8:17 pm

Lazarus wrote:Thanks mate.

Bloody insurance is a killer.
Given the number of clowns on the road, it's a necessary evil, eh?

Especially when its worth 30k
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Flyonline » 24 Mar 2024, 11:41 am

Last weekend I fiddled with the trigger on my gamo trying to making lighter and ended up screwing the trigger screw all the way through so it wouldn't fire. Pulled it apart completely but it still wouldn't fire when I re-installed. Spent a few days and hair pulling to work out that I hadn't installed it properly again - the top sear has to go under the bottom of the barrel so the slide can move all the way back to be caught by the sear :oops:

Somehow the gods of hunting were looking after me yesterday and we ended up with an unplanned day off in the middle of vintage (as in the first ever in 20+ years :o :shock: ) due to works outside our control.

After banking some brownie points with the family in the morning, I headed off about 3 with the idea of doing a bit of scouting on the way to the big open area I found a while ago with the plan to sit and wait the evening out while hopefully bumping into a fallow on the way. Google maps had indicated another couple of areas of open area, one of which I'd skirted last year and the other would be new.

I parked the car at the top of the first area, and slowly dropped off the road down through the mixed dogwood and understory, putting up something that almost sounded deery but I never got to see it. The area looked ok, but it didn't have much other than the open area for grazing as a drawcard. I worked my way further down and then edged over the finger ridge in towards the next clearing. As I made my way down the inside of one of the finger ridges, I put up a young sambar on the opposite face from a small patch of thick brush above me. It was hard going in the dry leaves/grass, moving quietly was almost impossible but I eventually reached the forest road below me that worked its way up the other side of the finger ridge back to the main road higher up. Slowly following an abandoned road I worked along up the gully towards the clearing where a side gully joins the main creek. It certainly looked deery and the bigger clearing was only just around the ridge on the opposite side of the creek from me. As I reached the join in the gullies, there was a fairly sharp rocky point which was enhanced by a mullock heap or two from a mineshaft above me. I was sitting about 20m above the creek bed and had a fair view of the other side, the face on the high side of the Y junction, and a little way up the side gully. There wasn't any easy rests to shoot from, so I ended up sitting next to a dark stringy-bark hoping that my dark shirt would blend in making me invisible. Further up the main gully was a thick patch of blackberries, wattles and other brush which I figured would be the most likely place for the deer to bed during the day. Following Errol Mason' idea of the wagon wheel approach, I assumed they'd be making their way down the face somewhat down from the top of the finger ridge, hopefully low enough for me to see/shoot them. There was a very well used game trail only a few meters above the creek bed on the opposite face, but I wasn't able to pick any further up the slope.

IMG_5414.jpg
IMG_5414.jpg (279.03 KiB) Viewed 755 times

IMG_5415.jpg
IMG_5415.jpg (264.52 KiB) Viewed 755 times

As I sat there, I noticed a black wallaby feeding in the blackberries below me, and some time later it's young offspring. I was able to watch them for the next couple of hours as I waited for the evening twilight to arrive, and hopefully the deer to start moving. I watched another pair of wallabies on the opposite face make their way down to the creek and later on could hear something that sounded larger pushing it's way through what sounded like the dead leaves of a fallen tree. Despite some scanning with the binos, I was never able to locate the animal but I did hear the emphysemic cough of a buck 'roo. Slowly the light dwindled, and as I watched the usual wrens, robins, rosellas and a lone whipbird cavort in the dying light a deer was suddenly in the open on the far side, just below the thickest part of foliage. It quickly moved through the small gap and made it's way down the ridge, slowly feeding as it went. It vanished behind some foliage of trees on the far side, but another younger deer appeared in the same clearing but a little higher up. I'd ranged it at a little over 100m, but there was no way I was happy with any shooting position I could get into so I hoped I'd have another chance as they went through a window 100m or so further down the ridge, almost directly opposite where I was sitting. Quietly I moved to the other side of the tree I was sitting next to, chambered a round and got into the best position I could. After 10min or so I began to wonder if they'd moved over the brow of the ridge above them as I could hear shuffling in the leaves occasionally but eventually the hind came through the clearing but was walking much too quick to take a shot and when she did stop I had some more leaves/branches of the trees below her covering her up. She kept moving down the trail, and eventually disappeared behind the covering leaves.

I could still hear the second hind coming down, and 5min or so later she stepped out behind a trunk of a tree 10m below her, before doubling back behind it again. By this time I had the best rest I could, but the shakes had started to kick in :lol: She must have missed some tasty morsel, as she quickly turned back downhill and stepped out into the opening. By this time it was getting towards 30min or so of shooting light - plenty to see and shoot by, but not much to get work done in the light. I still wasn't sure if I wanted to pull the trigger. It's a hell of a lot of hard work to deal with a sambar, even just taking the backstraps and possibly sirloins on a seriously steep and blackberried slope followed by a steep walk out felt like too much for a knackered body as mine right now. In the end I lined up a few simulated shots but didn't pull the trigger. No shot's a gimme, but at ~75m dead broadside I felt very confident it would have ended well and chalked up the experience as a win before grabbing the bag and rifle and making my way back to the car.

With 2 days off and 2 half days at work over easter and no family at home, I'll be putting in a few more yards to try and meet up with a fallow at some stage. The next one might not be so lucky, venison steaks from a backstrap always go down well :friends:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 24 Mar 2024, 2:15 pm

What did I do today? Bugger all but kept out of trouble.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Mar 2024, 2:55 pm

I'm not wining with the foxes

1 running like fuc.
2 the other spotted at abt 600 yards. Needless to say, they won.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 24 Mar 2024, 4:10 pm

Shot lots of birds and 1 fox.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: What did you do today?A bit of Bolt Maintanence

Post by Wm.Traynor » 25 Mar 2024, 7:14 pm

The firing pin has been out, as well as the spring, for a while now during testing of the force necessary to close the bolt on a cartridge**. During this time it was obvious that that spring was rough to the touch and this was deemed a Bad Thing. How could it decompress smoothly, I reasoned, if the surface was catching on something on the inside wall of the bolt body? The more that the spring was examined by touch, the more the opinion was formed that the outer surface of the coils was rolled, leaving burrs on every coil.
So I have been cutting back the trailing edges of the coils with #400 W&D.
In addition to all that, about 30mm of the firing pin was discoloured but kero fixed that. However, that leaves the inside of the bolt body where the diameter is at it's smallest. Some kero has been applied to that area via a patch on a jag, will be allowed to soak overnight.
We'll see how it looks in the morning.

** "The Importance of Closing Resistance" in Reloading Ammunition
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Mar 2024, 7:47 am

Away with my grandson Evan for a few days camping, shooting on a farm.

Typing this on the mobile between glassing towards the south with an over view of a northerly facing hill.

Late yesterday, as the foxes hadn't been playing the game with the whistles we decided to sit and glass where we had a good view over looking a north facing hill.

He only has his 22lr. The odd deer are around so I'd brought my old 30.06 loaded with 130g hornady's.

I was just about dozing off in the sun when I hear "grandpa, grandpa".

Well, he's just spotted a sambar hind about 450-500 yards away. Sharp eyes. Too far for me! So, we plan a stalk down a gully and around about a bit. (Bloody noisy under foot) We arrive and after a few miutes waiting, watching, bugger me dead, I see 3 deer! Two hinds and a 1/2 grown fawn. Oops, there's a 4th, another hind. All across a gully behind trees and high up making a difficult shot, praps 170 yards.

Needed to wait for a clear shot, as they were obscured by trees, hopefully a bit closer too.

Well, we played cat and mouse for perhaps 45- 60 minutes moving several times as they continued to move up but always behind trees and scrub.

In the end I didn't get a shot off, the light beat me. At some point I'd dropped my glasses. (Bugger :wtf: ) a bit of ferreting around and couldn't find them. Bugger me, I found them in the dark as we made our way back. :lol:

For some reason, the snags and three veg tasted better than usual. :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: What did you do today?A bit of Bolt Maintanence

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Mar 2024, 8:02 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:The firing pin has been out, as well as the spring, for a while now during testing of the force necessary to close the bolt on a cartridge**. During this time it was obvious that that spring was rough to the touch and this was deemed a Bad Thing. How could it decompress smoothly, I reasoned, if the surface was catching on something on the inside wall of the bolt body? The more that the spring was examined by touch, the more the opinion was formed that the outer surface of the coils was rolled, leaving burrs on every coil.
So I have been cutting back the trailing edges of the coils with #400 W&D.
In addition to all that, about 30mm of the firing pin was discoloured but kero fixed that. However, that leaves the inside of the bolt body where the diameter is at it's smallest. Some kero has been applied to that area via a patch on a jag, will be allowed to soak overnight.
We'll see how it looks in the morning.

** "The Importance of Closing Resistance" in Reloading Ammunition

Pipe cleaners should do the trick
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 30 Mar 2024, 9:57 am

Oldbloke wrote:Away with my grandson Evan for a few days camping, shooting on a farm.

Typing this on the mobile between glassing towards the south with an over view of a northerly facing hill.

Late yesterday, as the foxes hadn't been playing the game with the whistles we decided to sit and glass where we had a good view over looking a north facing hill.

He only has his 22lr. The odd deer are around so I'd brought my old 30.06 loaded with 130g hornady's.

Well, he's just spotted a sambar hind about 450-500 yards away. Sharp eyes. Too far for me! So, we plan a stalk down a gully and around about a bit. (Bloody noisy under foot) We arrive and after a few miutes waiting, watching, bugger me dead, I see 3 deer! Two hinds and a 1/2 grown fawn. Oops, there's a 4th, another hind. All across a gully behind trees and high up making a difficult shot, praps 170 yards.

Needed to wait for a clear shot, as they were obscured by trees, hopefully a bit closer too.

Well, we played cat and mouse for perhaps 45- 60 minutes moving several times as they continued to move up but always behind trees and scrub.

In the end I didn't get a shot off, the light beat me. At some point I'd dropped my glasses. (Bugger :wtf: ) a bit of ferreting around and couldn't find them. Bugger me, I found them in the dark as we made our way back. :lol:

Bloody awesome stuff.

Me,I'm hectic getting all my s**t sorted for this weeks hog deer hunt. The hunting stuff has been sorted for 2 weeks,now I'm frantically getting the food stuff ready and discovering a lot of my gear quite frankly is stuffed lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 30 Mar 2024, 12:41 pm

Temperatures are still below 10C here but spring is beginning to pop up a little, grass is starting to turn green and migrating birds are turning back up, bluebirds are finding their boxes again, robins are building nests. Winter had plenty of wind, rain, some cold times but only intermittent snow and ice. I think I might have done maybe one or two serious snowplows of the driveway and that's it this winter. I took the snow plow off the Kubota today. The Honda snow blower maybe got run once.

I finished my 300 Blackout reloading project and am now moving on to 223 with my first load for that. 55g FMJ bullets with TAC powder.

I never did get all my winter projects done but I have been flat out with a side business endeavor, as well as Youtube.

I'm ready to go back to Australia for a month or so, hopefully in the next year. Been making a list of different things or events I want to do and where I want to go. The weather is a factor as well. I can deal with winter, spring and autumn but prefer not to do the dead of summer time. Too much heat, bugs and snakes.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Flyonline » 30 Mar 2024, 1:59 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Away with my grandson Evan for a few days camping, shooting on a farm.

Sweet! It's things like that I'm sure he'll remember for ever rather than yet another toy/crap/whatever :unknown:

bigpete wrote:Me,I'm hectic getting all my s**t sorted for this weeks hog deer hunt. The hunting stuff has been sorted for 2 weeks,now I'm frantically getting the food stuff ready and discovering a lot of my gear quite frankly is stuffed lol

Better do a write up when you get back, or I'll be unhappy :lol: :lol:

Yesterday I ducked out for a quick walk with the 30-06 in the hopes of finding some goats. Hit the top of the main ridge and immediately found a heap of freshish droppings on the road with more when I dropped down 100m or so and paralleled the ridge back along. In the top above a large blackberry patch I came across where I suspect they've been bedding up, a crapload of pellets, prints, beds and game trails all over the place. Heard a couple of bleats a couple of 100m below me but I think the late afternoon winds must have dropped my wind down at some stage as that was it.

Took the air rifle around to the folks this morning to try out a few new pellets I'd bought. It wasn't too impressed with anything other than the Diablos in 15gr, which is good as they're ok in price and easy to get. The slugs I'd bought in .217 almost fell through and the report was closer to a .22lr so I'll get some a little bigger to try next time. It took me a bit to work out that I was getting good grouping off the bags, but off the sticks or my knees the POI was dropping 6" :o Finally worked out that I was being forced to shoot with chicken wings out off the bench, but my elbows were automatically tucking in off the sticks/knees/offhand. So I'll have to work out some other way to use bags in a more natural position. Put out half a dozen rabbit head offcuts of timber the old man had lying around in realistic rabbit situations and blew them all away with one shot :thumbsup:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 30 Mar 2024, 4:21 pm

We'll see about the write up. Usually no one gives a fat rats crack. All I can say is I hope I can make it happen in 4 days as thats all I've got
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Mar 2024, 5:28 pm

bigpete wrote:We'll see about the write up. Usually no one gives a fat rats crack. All I can say is I hope I can make it happen in 4 days as thats all I've got

We do read them.

And the best of British luck.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation